Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast

Thread: What are Yuna Kim's strongest points as a skater?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by RABID View Post
    Here's an exclusive figure skating club with quite a few members. Care to guess what they all have in common?

Emily Hughes
    Mao Asada
    Christine Zukowski
    Joannie Rochette
    Miki Ando
    Carolina Kostner
    Sarah Meier
    Akiko Suzuki
    Park Bit-Na
    Choi Ji-Eun
    Kim Chae-Hwa
    Kim Hyeon-Jung
    Park So-Yeon
    Choi Da-Bin
    Yukari Nakano
    Laura Lepistö
    Caroline Zhang
    Fumie Suguri
    Júlia Sebestyén
    Rachael Flatt
    Kimmie Meissner
    Viktoria Helgesson
    Ksenia Makarova

Hm.... I have to guess about the Korean skaters, but maybe they are the skaters who shared podium with Yuna? I don't remember about Emily Hughes or Christine Zukowski, are they from her Junior years? If you included junior podiums, there must be more people than this...

Quote Originally Posted by gourry View Post
    Hm.... I have to guess about the Korean skaters, but maybe they are the skaters who shared podium with Yuna? I don't remember about Emily Hughes or Christine Zukowski, are they from her Junior years? If you included junior podiums, there must be more people than this...
    Yes, they all shared the podium with her and of course a few of them multiple times. I think I got them all.... I wonder what Michelle Kwan's "club" looks like.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Robeye View Post

Weren't they featured in "Bull Durham"?
    I can't recall whether the Toledo Mud Hens were featured in Bull Durham, but they were referred to all the time in M*A*S*H* by Klinger, who was from Toledo.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    The best West Coast mascot is the Evergreen University geoducks (pronounced gooey-ducks). This is what they look like.

http://www.antiquark.com/img/geoduck_clam_2.jpg
    Geoducks.. lol. In Japanese it's called mirugai. It's one of my favorites for sashimi. I've seen some use it for sushi topping too. Evergreen College is in Olympia (yes!), Washington. I once drove through the town on the way to Olympic National Park from Seattle. That part of the Pacific Northwest is just so beautiful.

About YuNa's strengths, I agree with what Pangtongfan and others said, so I won't repeat. In my view the primary source of her strengths is her unique athletic talent. I remember Gkelly mentioning "balance, awareness of where the body is in space (proprioception, alignment), fearlessness" as some of the constituents of skating talent. I think YuNa is as good as anybody in those qualities.

Her ability in feeling and moving with the music was apparent as well since her first time out with a big audience at 2005 JWC. I thought she's very perceptive. I also agree with what Jeff Buttle said about her arms. The thing about her arms is that, her arm movements often seems stemming from her spinal movements. They don't look forced. In other words, her arm moves in connection with, and as extension of, the movements of her whole body. I think that's what sets her arms apart from others'.

Tripping on the Podium alfoalfo's Avatar
    I think Yuna's strengths as a skater is firstly her uber strong mentality.. I mean c'mon who else in the business can skate under enormous pressure like her?! And secondly, her jump technique - it seems to rarely fail her. Lastly, her musicality- she definitely listens to the music. I can tell a lot of skaters jut hear the music and almost skate through it, but she definitely listens well and skates with it.

Eta- oh my goodness.. It looks like Yuna is out of the Grand Prix. She seems to have injured her right ankle during a run through. She's apparently gonna be out for 6 weeks.. Dang!!!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by alfoalfo View Post
    Eta- oh my goodness.. It looks like Yuna is out of the Grand Prix. She seems to have injured her right ankle during a run through. She's apparently gonna be out for 6 weeks.. Dang!!!
    Yes-I was shocked when I heard the news. First Korpi, now it's Yu-Na...

I hope Yu-Na recovers quickly, and the other half of the season turns out to be a good season for her.

Banned
    OMG, Nooooooo

Medalist
    She seems to have injured her right ankle during a run through. She's apparently gonna be out for 6 weeks..
    To be more precise, it's not her ankle but her metatarsus, micro-damaged.

Tripping on the Podium alfoalfo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by seabm7 View Post
    To be more precise, it's not her ankle but her metatarsus, micro-damaged.
    Thanks for the clarification

Is that a serious injury? Would 6 weeks be enough time to heal and come back?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    I think this is a major strength of hers that is under-appreciated, because some of her programs (especially her exhibitions) have not exactly been designed to showcase her musicality. While Michelle skated to "Fields of Gold" and "East of Eden", David Wilson has been more inclined to give her uptempo dance routines.
    How do you define "musicality," and its importance to skating?

I think dancing to rhythmic music requires more skating skill than emoting to lyrical music.

What requires more "musical skill" or "musicality," whatever that is irrespective of skating skill, i.e., what one could demonstrate standing on the floor, might be more subject to debate.

Then it's another question as to which skaters best demonstrate it.

Thanks for the clarification

Is that a serious injury? Would 6 weeks be enough time to heal and come back?
    I read that it's not a serious injury, but she must rest and let it heal in order for her foot to be healthy by Sochi.

I believe she needs at least 4 weeks for it to heal, plus she needs to do rehab therapy.

Custom Title
    The closer we get to the actual events, the more such announcements could become a reality. I truly truly hope not, but it only makes sense that we learn of difficult decisions as events approach. Here's to hoping for good health amongst all of the competitors this season. And of course, in particular given what we know, to recoveries for Yuna, Kiira, Evan, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    The best West Coast mascot is the Evergreen University geoducks (pronounced gooey-ducks). This is what they look like.

http://www.antiquark.com/img/geoduck_clam_2.jpg

Tonichelle's college, the University of Alaska Anchorage, is the sea wolves. This is an Inuit mythological sea serpent sort of thing, perhaps originating from some sort of whale. Here is a Raven-Seawolf totem pole.

http://tresham.com/sites/default/fil...s%20-%2010.jpg

The Detroit Tigers' triple A team is the Toledo Mud Hens.
    I guess I am giving away my gender when I tell you that back in the 80's I worked for about 4 years diving off the west coast for geoducks.

^ http://www.neilmcdaniel.com/images/geoducker.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post

I think dancing to rhythmic music requires more skating skill than emoting to lyrical music.

What requires more "musical skill" or "musicality," whatever that is irrespective of skating skill, i.e., what one could demonstrate standing on the floor, might be more subject to debate.

Of the top ladies I think Mao Asada has the best sense of rhythm and musical phrasing. But she does not skate as fast as Carolina Kostner and Yuna Kim. I imagine it is hard to show artistic subtlety when you are whizzing along at a mile a minute.

Tp me, what is emotionally satisfying is the sports thrill. A clean program with triple jump piled on triple jump all the way to end, building to a grand climax in time to the music, that's like a football plater bursting through the line and streaking toward the end zone. He's to the 20 (triple flip), the 15 (triple Salchow), the 10....!!!

And here comes Yuna Kim making her move on the rail. Now she's ahead by a nose, a neck, a length...

It's a sharp hit to right. Yuna takes off from second, the third base coach windmills her on, "go, go, go," she rounds third digging for the plate, here's the throw, she slides!

Now pick music that has cymbal crashes at the right place and you've got it.

Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post

True, if only because fast rhythmic music is interpreted with fast turns and steps, but is that more "musical"? Is skating and dancing to a beat or rhythm what constitutes musicality? Plenty of ordinary folks can "shake their groove" to music--dance pop in particular. Are you telling me all those people at night clubs dancing away to rhythmic pulsing songs are exhibiting "musicality"?

"Emoting" to lyrical music isn't really what I have in mind. It's hard for me to articulate since this isn't my turf, but I could point to, say, Michelle's "East of Eden" for an example. That program is not punctuated with fast, rhythmic moves to a musical beat--just pure fluid motion and smooth choreography, the sort of movement that figure skating is most naturally suited to, with skates gliding uninterrupted on the ice surface.

On the other hand, music with a tempo/beat can be great skating music as well. But it has to be a certain type and I'm not sure dance pop is a suitable one. Latin dances like Tango are excellent, and some of the most "musical" skates I can think of are programs to Latin music.

Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast