Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast
Results 376 to 390 of 394

Thread: What are Yuna Kim's strongest points as a skater?

  1. #376
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,199
    ...none of which is to deny the obvious fact that Mao Asada has a fine sense of rhythm and musical phrasing.

  2. #377
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    237
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    IMHO Kim's legacy is utterly secure. This child has never finished off the podium. Her two masterpieces, the 2010 Olympic LP and the 2013 world championship LP, are two of the finest in figure skating history. They will never be diminished. She took a wrecking ball and demolished the CoP. She wrote the manual on jump technique. She can stand with the giants preceding her and not be ashamed.
    ....
    I agree + I think the most influential and dominance-setting program of Kim was the Danse Macabre. Her performances to it at SA, 4CC and Worlds were all out of this world.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    ...none of which is to deny the obvious fact that Mao Asada has a fine sense of rhythm and musical phrasing.
    Right, Asada has wonderful qualities. She can be very good as long as she stays in her comfort zone, like in her programs to Chopin. However, outside of that, I don't find her as impressive or convincing. I consider Tarasova's Bells of Moscow as a masterfully choreographed program. A great program, but a mediocre performance.

    Same can be said about Alissa Czisny. Her style can work very well with slow-paced, lyrical pieces. But, if she goes beyond that, for example with a rigorous program that calls for a keen sense of rhythm and phrasing to fast beats or changing phaseal changes/nuances, I bet her program will be diminished to some pieces of catching-up efforts. I'm not saying it only on that Czisny is a poor jumper.

    Maybe this would be a good topic for another thread about skating/performing talent, whether a skater/dancer who has a superior talent in picking up, e.g., hip-hop moves can also excel in lyrical movements to fine nuances; or vice-versa.

  3. #378
    Columnist
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    379
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post

    Quite so. I wouldn't want it any other way.

    But here's an objective and quantifiable test. The skater with the greatest number of hits on You Tube is the most popular of all time. That would be 9-year-old Starr Andrews with Whip My Hair (14,000,000 views). Runner-up, the ice dancer who fell out of her costume in the middle of a performance.
    Haha, so had to laugh while reading that!

    Maybe I should record a video of my partner and me trying to do a twizzle in a monkey and banana costume and we could become the world most famous skaters too?

  4. #379
    Custom Title mary01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    503
    Quote Originally Posted by thinspread View Post
    I agree + I think the most influential and dominance-setting program of Kim was the Danse Macabre. Her performances to it at SA, 4CC and Worlds were all out of this world.



    Right, Asada has wonderful qualities. She can be very good as long as she stays in her comfort zone, like in her programs to Chopin. However, outside of that, I don't find her as impressive or convincing. I consider Tarasova's Bells of Moscow as a masterfully choreographed program. A great program, but a mediocre performance.

    .
    This is hilarious, because if I had to describe Kim's programs one of the first words that would come to my mind is comfort zone and mediocre, with the big orchestral climax at the end, the same elements repeated again and again, at the same placements. The same pained expression, turn of the music and it would be impossible to distinguish which of her steps belongs to which program, that's how similar they are.

    I am pretty sure that you would be able to find a lot more similarities between Kim content (same layout), music choices (with the usuel climax), choreography (with the same expression and arm movements), and how her programs usually are constructed, then you would with Mao's program

  5. #380
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    237
    Mary01, you are entitled to your opinion. If I made you laugh, I'm happy.

  6. #381
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by RABID View Post
    ..... if she skates like that in Sochi she will have secured her place in the annals of figure skating greats...
    "Send in the clowns" might be a soft lyrical piece like Lark. definitely with more maturity and depth. I am so look forward to Yuna's new program. So sad have to wait a few more month.....

  7. #382
    Six Point Zero Krislite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Yunaverse
    Posts
    1,548
    Quote Originally Posted by mary01 View Post
    This is hilarious, because if I had to describe Kim's programs one of the first words that would come to my mind is comfort zone and mediocre, with the big orchestral climax at the end, the same elements repeated again and again, at the same placements. The same pained expression, turn of the music and it would be impossible to distinguish which of her steps belongs to which program, that's how similar they are.

    I am pretty sure that you would be able to find a lot more similarities between Kim content (same layout), music choices (with the usuel climax), choreography (with the same expression and arm movements), and how her programs usually are constructed, then you would with Mao's program
    Now what's Mao skating to? Oh yes--Chopin's Nocture--same as as six years ago. And her long program? Another Rachmaninoff piece like Vancouver. By Tarasova. What a ways away from her comfort zone! Hilarious isn't it?

    No, changing costumes every month does not make for variety.

  8. #383
    Simply the best. l'etoile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,056
    Yeah, it was about time. Mao being dragged into Yuna thread or the other way and all of the other interesting discussions get no credit. ALWAYS

  9. #384
    :) aftertherain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,340
    Yuna's strongest point as a skater is obviously her admiration for Michelle Kwan.

    This is not a joke.

    Or is it?

  10. #385
    Custard Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    990
    Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    Now what's Mao skating to? Oh yes--Chopin's Nocture--same as as six years ago. And her long program? Another Rachmaninoff piece like Vancouver. By Tarasova. What a ways away from her comfort zone! Hilarious isn't it?

    No, changing costumes every month does not make for variety.
    To be fair, the concerto is musically quite different from the prelude. But a few practice clips have surfaced and the opening choreography to her new Rach LP looks suspiciously similar to what she did 4 years ago

    Not that there's anything wrong with that...

  11. #386
    Six Point Zero Krislite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Yunaverse
    Posts
    1,548
    Quote Originally Posted by CarneAsada View Post
    To be fair, the concerto is musically quite different from the prelude. But a few practice clips have surfaced and the opening choreography to her new Rach LP looks suspiciously similar to what she did 4 years ago

    Not that there's anything wrong with that...
    No, nothing wrong with that at all. She's done quite a variety of music (so has Yuna, I might add). And then she's also repeated the same music, like Masquerade Waltz. I was just trying to be snarky in response to Mary01.

  12. #387
    Custard Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    990
    Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    No, nothing wrong with that at all. She's done quite a variety of music (so has Yuna, I might add). And then she's also repeated the same music, like Masquerade Waltz. I was just trying to be snarky in response to Mary01.
    Haha I could see the snark. Just wanted to add my observations about the few glimpses of the choreography (which supports your point).

  13. #388
    축복, 축도 RABID's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    459
    Quote Originally Posted by Robeye View Post
    Are you maybe talking about Moe Norman, the Canadian golf savant?
    Yes!!! Thank you. Golf savant... exactly.

  14. #389
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    384
    Quote Originally Posted by mary01 View Post
    This is hilarious, because if I had to describe Kim's programs one of the first words that would come to my mind is comfort zone and mediocre, with the big orchestral climax at the end, the same elements repeated again and again, at the same placements. The same pained expression, turn of the music and it would be impossible to distinguish which of her steps belongs to which program, that's how similar they are.

    I am pretty sure that you would be able to find a lot more similarities between Kim content (same layout), music choices (with the usuel climax), choreography (with the same expression and arm movements), and how her programs usually are constructed, then you would with Mao's program
    Totally agree! It's very normal since she has been collaborating for so many years with DW.

  15. #390
    Yuna's Ice Rink cooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,194
    Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    Now what's Mao skating to? Oh yes--Chopin's Nocture--same as as six years ago. And her long program? Another Rachmaninoff piece like Vancouver. By Tarasova. What a ways away from her comfort zone! Hilarious isn't it?

    No, changing costumes every month does not make for variety.
    good point..

Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •