What are Yuna Kim's strongest points as a skater? | Page 20 | Golden Skate

What are Yuna Kim's strongest points as a skater?

yyyskate

Record Breaker
..... if she skates like that in Sochi she will have secured her place in the annals of figure skating greats...
"Send in the clowns" might be a soft lyrical piece like Lark. definitely with more maturity and depth. I am so look forward to Yuna's new program. So sad have to wait a few more month.....

Krislite

Medalist
This is hilarious, because if I had to describe Kim's programs one of the first words that would come to my mind is comfort zone and mediocre, with the big orchestral climax at the end, the same elements repeated again and again, at the same placements. The same pained expression, turn of the music and it would be impossible to distinguish which of her steps belongs to which program, that's how similar they are.

I am pretty sure that you would be able to find a lot more similarities between Kim content (same layout), music choices (with the usuel climax), choreography (with the same expression and arm movements), and how her programs usually are constructed, then you would with Mao's program :laugh:

Now what's Mao skating to? Oh yes--Chopin's Nocture--same as as six years ago. And her long program? Another Rachmaninoff piece like Vancouver. By Tarasova. What a ways away from her comfort zone! Hilarious isn't it? ;)

No, changing costumes every month does not make for variety. :laugh:

Yeah, it was about time. Mao being dragged into Yuna thread or the other way and all of the other interesting discussions get no credit. ALWAYS:bang:

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Yuna's strongest point as a skater is obviously her admiration for Michelle Kwan.

This is not a joke.

Or is it?

CarneAsada

Medalist
Now what's Mao skating to? Oh yes--Chopin's Nocture--same as as six years ago. And her long program? Another Rachmaninoff piece like Vancouver. By Tarasova. What a ways away from her comfort zone! Hilarious isn't it? ;)

To be fair, the concerto is musically quite different from the prelude. But a few practice clips have surfaced and the opening choreography to her new Rach LP looks suspiciously similar to what she did 4 years ago :laugh:

Not that there's anything wrong with that... :biggrin:

Krislite

Medalist
To be fair, the concerto is musically quite different from the prelude. But a few practice clips have surfaced and the opening choreography to her new Rach LP looks suspiciously similar to what she did 4 years ago :laugh:

Not that there's anything wrong with that... :biggrin:

No, nothing wrong with that at all. She's done quite a variety of music (so has Yuna, I might add). And then she's also repeated the same music, like Masquerade Waltz. I was just trying to be snarky in response to Mary01. :biggrin:

CarneAsada

Medalist
No, nothing wrong with that at all. She's done quite a variety of music (so has Yuna, I might add). And then she's also repeated the same music, like Masquerade Waltz. I was just trying to be snarky in response to Mary01. :biggrin:

Haha I could see the snark. Just wanted to add my observations about the few glimpses of the choreography (which supports your point).

ciocio

On the Ice
This is hilarious, because if I had to describe Kim's programs one of the first words that would come to my mind is comfort zone and mediocre, with the big orchestral climax at the end, the same elements repeated again and again, at the same placements. The same pained expression, turn of the music and it would be impossible to distinguish which of her steps belongs to which program, that's how similar they are.

I am pretty sure that you would be able to find a lot more similarities between Kim content (same layout), music choices (with the usuel climax), choreography (with the same expression and arm movements), and how her programs usually are constructed, then you would with Mao's program :laugh:

Totally agree! :thumbsup: It's very normal since she has been collaborating for so many years with DW.

cooper

Medalist

good point.. :laugh:

Mirunna

Record Breaker
1. The jumps. Not only they are amazing (because so are Kostner's) but they are consistent as a rock. Every other aspect of her skating is good or very good but the reason she beats everyone by this margin are her jumps. Her spins are very good, but not the best. Her steps are very good, but not the best. Last season she didn't have the best choreography on either SP or LP (I might get some hate by Kim's uberfans here). But she skated clean with monster jumps - which, as we see it, is more than enough.
I am not saying the jumps is all she has - absolutely not. She is one of the most musical skater currently competing, she connects with the audience, she skates with great speed, has great skating skills and I could carry on forever. But there are other skaters who are just as good as her in every single category I mentioned, except the jumps. Basically: she is an all around skater with no weakness and with great consistency. A skater like her: with huge, power jumps, is rarely as good as her on everything else: which is why she is so successful (and rightfully so).
To sum it up: huge jumps, uncanny consistency and killer instinct. This is the recipe for success

Nadia01

Final Flight
3 Things That Kept Her on the Podium All Her Career

1. excellent jump technique
2. above-average to very good non-jump elements
3. consistency (which comes from her incredible mental focus)

I think it's #3 that makes her truly formidable since so many other skaters have good jumps and above-average to very good non-jump elements, but they tend to make errors and/or have inconsistent showings.

thinspread

On the Ice
My thoughts on the topic, if I paraphrase it to "What made YuNa Kim strong":

- extraordinary athletic talent she's born with
- excellent jump technique
- excellent speed and skating skill
- excellent control and coordination of body movements in executing choreographic tasks and non-jump technical elements including spins and steps
- excellent skill and focus in incorporating all the elements into seamless execution to tell a convincing story within a program
- excellent feel for the music and its theme, rhythm and phaseal changes
- excellent range as a performer
- excellent focus and endurance in training
- mental toughness to keep calm and focused under pressure
- most decisively, early-awakening to the fact that she has no backing of a strong federation and it's a must for her to be perfect to survive and make it to the top.