Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: What are Yuna Kim's strongest points as a skater?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirunna View Post
    This is a testament to how good these 3 are. An Olympic podium with all 3 would be so epic, I can't even imagine it.
    This thread will be another Mao/Yuna/Caro (I am happy to see the "old" rivalry includes her nowadays, yey!) bashing. Why would anyone want Mao, Caro, or anyone elsecopycat Yuna? Just look at the 10000 Plushy copies. No current lady skater can replicate Yuna's Bond (or come even close). Many find Carolina's feel for the music (and recent programs) superior to Yuna. And with Mao, I don't see anyone skating so delicate as she did in Nocturne or Ladies in Lavender, with her quick turns and perfect lines and posture
    It certainly is phenomenal that we have three such accomplished ladies vying for the OGM. When it comes right down to it, what we have is that wonderful phrase, an embarrassment of riches. More than we deserve, almost--except that skating fans deserve the best. All that, plus Daisuke, Patrick, the possibility of Plushenko, and Virtue/Moir and Davis/White. Yipes! What other sport could possibly be as interesting as this?

Custom Title
    Yes...This is very successful trolling thread.

Good Job, people.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    Though I agree that artistically Carolina is not inferior to Yuna, there is still a big difference between the two that matters a lot in competition--one can land the difficult jumps/combos much more consistently than the other, particularly at major competitions like Worlds and the Olympics. Stylistically, however, I'm more inclined to Yuna than Carolina, whose expressiveness is a bit over-the-top for my taste.
    Exactly my view!

On the Ice
    Yuna can't point her toe and her extension on spirals is not so good. But she makes up for it in almost every other way. She is fast, excellent in moving her body to the music, particularly her hands, and she's practically the only one right now who can be desribed as making things look effortless. Most other skaters, even when going clean, look tense, their jump takeoffs look funky, etc.

~high art~
    Is she superior, both as a technical and an artistic skater? Absolutely.

Why? She is a master in the way no one else is.

Simple.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by PftJump View Post
    Yes...This is very successful trolling thread.

Good Job, people.
    Maybe I don't understand what trolling is. Could someone please explain this comment to me? I've seen posts on YouTube about various skaters that I couldn't even repeat to myself, let alone to other people, and I could immediately see that they were made by trolls. I see nothing approaching that on this thread. Perhaps I'm missing something.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Maybe I don't understand what trolling is. Could someone please explain this comment to me? I've seen posts on YouTube about various skaters that I couldn't even repeat to myself, let alone to other people, and I could immediately see that they were made by trolls. I see nothing approaching that on this thread. Perhaps I'm missing something.
    Yunabots think everyone who doesn't think Yuna Kim is the ultimate perfection is a troll.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Olympia, I think one form of trolling is stirring up the pot only for the sake of stirring up the pot -- finding satisfaction in provoking others, and saying something for no other purpose than to push their buttons.
    I have not read much of this thread, but I recall that the second part of the original title was, "Why do we find her superior?" --which did strike me as presumptuous for a thread in The Edge (as opposed to Fan Fests).
    I'm glad that the thread title was changed, per someone's valid request -- and that at least some of the posts have been sincere and thoughtful.

Forever stuck on those steps Li'Kitsu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia
    I don't know if I can really help you with that, but I thought the entry post really had some trollish parts (like Yunas is superior because she wears longer skirts ect.). It's obviously not an argument for anything in this regard, but one might say it was meant to mock other skaters wearing shorter skirts like Carolina. Honestly, when I read the first post, I felt a little as if the poster wanted to mock Yuna and her fans, or better to say what he/she feels are uberish posts and arguments you sometimes read. Some parts just don't have any merit to them aside from making people feel offended.
    It's however not such a drastic example, there are way worse examples of trolling pretty much everywhere around the internet. And after that, I think there are a lot of lovely, well thought out and completly un-trollish posts from different posters about Yuna and her strengths in regards to other skaters, and that's completly fine. So I wouldn't say that this is a troll thread either.

Custom Title
    Thanks, everyone. I likewise thought that many people made some very thoughtful points and helped me appreciate the subtleties of all three of the top ladies' skating--and I enjoy all three to begin with.

To continue the discussion, one thing that I especially appreciate about the three major ladies is that they've stayed around for so long. This shows their determination, and it also allows us fans the luxury of watching their artistic and technical development across an arc of time. A quick rise and disappearance can be impressive (think of Tara), but a long career shows a mastery of the sport that to me is far more satisfying to watch.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Thanks, everyone. I likewise thought that many people made some very thoughtful points and helped me appreciate the subtleties of all three of the top ladies' skating--and I enjoy all three to begin with.

To continue the discussion, one thing that I especially appreciate about the three major ladies is that they've stayed around for so long. This shows their determination, and it also allows us fans the luxury of watching their artistic and technical development across an arc of time. A quick rise and disappearance can be impressive (think of Tara), but a long career shows a mastery of the sport that to me is far more satisfying to watch.
    Indeed, Olympia, and that is why I am SOOOOO excited that Kim Yuna is back for another Olympic cycle and in top form. I think Kim Yuna is truly blessed with a body that allows her to skate with such speed and jump so high. Watching her ice coverage live at worlds last year was just astonishing. Nevermind that she came back after hiatus is competitive skating and did so well against the odds.

I think gmyers is spot on when he says that her confidence in the technical abilities - assuming she is well trained - allows her to perform artistically. That is a huge advantage over the other skaters, who are not so consistent.

However, I have to say that Carolina's ice presence was also hugely impressive and she has a certain charisma of her own. I don't want to say she's more charismatic than Yuna, that is subjective, but some may think so. We all know her struggles with consistency and it has been a challenge for her to maintain her technical level during her long senior career. So that's obviously her challenge this year but given that it's an Olympic year and she'll be hugely motivated, I think we can expect her to be formidable. How exciting would it be to see Carolina win her first Olympic medal, of any color? Of the top lady skaters, her evolvement over the years in some ways has impressed me the most. She has lost the slight awkwardness of just a few years ago and has completely won me over. I am just as excited that she is also around for another Olympic cycle.

And Mao, too. She doesn't have the speed and ice coverage of other other two _ I was watching from very up high and it really stood out _ but she outclasses everyone else when it comes to her delicate style, extension, posture. Certainly Carolina and Yuna don't match her on that. I'll be thrilled for whoever wins the Olympics next year.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by Layfan View Post
    Indeed, Olympia, and that is why I am SOOOOO excited that Kim Yuna is back for another Olympic cycle and in top form. I think Kim Yuna is truly blessed with a body that allows her to skate with such speed and jump so high. Watching her ice coverage live at worlds last year was just astonishing. Nevermind that she came back after hiatus is competitive skating and did so well against the odds.
    honestly, I was unpleasant in it
    While skaters are working hard, She was not in competition. she had long hiatus and came back and easily won skaters who efforted much more than her
    when look her attitude, it seemed she take her winning for granted... she did't even seemed too thrilled to result. As a long figure skating fan, I felt it's unfair.. dissatisfied in it.

Quote Originally Posted by torren View Post
    While skaters are working hard, She was not in competition. she had long hiatus and came back and easily won skaters who efforted much more than her
    when look her attitude, it seemed she take her winning for granted... she did't even seemed too thrilled to result. As a long figure skating fan, I felt it's unfair.. dissatisfied in it.
    And this is her fault? A skater wins on how they perform in competition, now how much effort they put before the competition.

Besides, you have no idea how much work Yuna actually put into her comeback. Suffice it to say, she worked just as hard in the months leading up to London, as any other skater who showed up for Worlds. In fact, if her practices at Worlds compared to other skaters were any indication, she put in much more effort. Her competitors were practically absent and seemingly relaxing while she was killing the practices everyday. So who exactly put in more "effort"?

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    And this is her fault? A skater wins on how they perform in competition, now how much effort they put before the competition.
    I didn't said it's her fault. Just that situation is really annoyed me

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by torren View Post
    Well it's not like she sat out one season because she wanted to be lazy while others were training, but because she didn't know what direction her life should turn after the Olympics. In interviews she made clear, that after her Olympic dream came true, she asked herself, what she wanted to do in the future. She seriously considered retiring from competive skating completely and used her off-season to graduate from college and put some more time into her job as UNICEF ambassador, as well as aiding the Special Olympics in 2013.
    It was only after this break, that she the competitive fire came back to her and she told the world, she wanted to show and skate more programms, that touches the audience. She also clearly stated in an interview, that she wanted to compete in Sochi, but never took this for granted, or even win Gold. Whenever journalists asked her prior 2013 worlds (there were too many interview after 2013 worlds to follow them all, so I can't be sure about them), if Gold is her goal in Sochi, her answers were hestistant and she often said that she just wanted to skate and perform to the fullest capability without regrets and that a medal would be great, but she also knows how hard it's going to be and that there are excellent competitors out there.

As for your feelings of her seeminly easily winning over skaters, who have worked very hard to come this far: Well, I don't think coming back was as effortless as her skating seems. I'm sure Yuna put a lot of work into her comeback and though there may well be skaters, who worked harder than her, she's fully aware of that fact and is thankful for the talent, she was born with. In an interview after 2013 Special Olympics (competition for mentally disabled), were Yuna participated with an GALA skate together with Michelle Kwan, she said: Seeing all the athletes really impressed her. Many have overcome prejudices and hardships, and seeing them is really heartwarming.
    I'm not comparing her comeptitors with mentally disabled, but what I wanted to say, is, that as far as I've followed Yunas interviews and attitude, she talks respectfully of her competitors and doesn't take any of her winnings or natural talent for granted, but sets high standards in work ethics for herself.

Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast