What are Yuna Kim's strongest points as a skater? | Page 9 | Golden Skate

What are Yuna Kim's strongest points as a skater?

minze

Medalist
The Yuna worship in this board gets annoying sometimes. I found this board is dangerous for a Mao fan. After some comments here you might question her greatness. Thankfully, I can be reminded by youtube videos. Some people use their fandom to put other skaters down. The way some Yuna fans talk about Mao is discusting. Sometimes I want to say: Where is their": two time world gold medal, 3 GPF gold medals, and olympic silver medals no those people who sit there an put Mao down dont have any of those.

Furthermore, can you attempt a triple axel, have you re work your jumping technique from schratch. So spare me your unobjective criticisim of other skaters and the unreasonable Yuna worship without aknonwlegment of any weaknessess she might have

Robeye

Final Flight
The Yuna worship in this board gets annoying sometimes. I found this board is dangerous for a Mao fan. After some comments here you might question her greatness. Thankfully, I can be reminded by youtube videos. Some people use their fandom to put other skaters down. The way some Yuna fans talk about Mao is discusting. Sometimes I want to say: Where is their": two time world gold medal, 3 GPF gold medals, and olympic silver medals no those people who sit there an put Mao down dont have any of those.

Furthermore, can you attempt a triple axel, have you re work your jumping technique from schratch. So spare me your unobjective criticisim of other skaters and the unreasonable Yuna worship without aknonwlegment of any weaknessess she might have
When I look at Mao's achievements, not just in terms of medal counts but in terms of what she has been able to put out on ice over the entire arc of her career, there is no question in my mind that she is one of the greats; in many other cycles she would have dominated, IMO. I think you are right that there are some who refuse to give Mao her full due, which is an injustice.

Taking this thought a little further, though, I often feel that this is part of a vicious cycle that was, and still is, mutually created by the enthusiastic but less judicious fans of both skaters.

Fans of Yuna may feel that that Mao fans are always trying to bring Yuna down, attempting to downplay the magnitude of her achievements, always whining that she is overscored, even when she skates just about perfectly, or endlessly nitpicking about things such as toe-point, etc. This creates a backlash in which some Yuna fans return the favor in equal measure, and in kind.

One can hardly say at this point who or what started it, who or what was originally to blame. All that can be known at this point is that it has become a cycle of attack unfailingly followed by reprisal, without end.

We also see specimens such as let's talk, who has trollishly succeeded in riling up some of Yuna's fans with her odd, voices-in-her-head mutterings, which go back at least to the Vancouver Olympics, about a Yuna conspiracy that has corrupted the skating world. I personally do not think that he/she is primarily motivated by allegiance to Mao, but rather by some strange, Iago-like hatred of Yuna's success.

But some of Yuna's fans, I think, have mistaken let's talk for a Mao fan, and in their anger have retaliated accordingly. This situation is compounded by the fact that no acknowledged Mao fan (I am not talking about those "who like both" or "love skating") has voiced any objections to that poster's outrageous ramblings, which may lead some of Yuna's more emotional fans to take to mean that either Mao fans recognize let's talk as one of their own number, or that her comments are a reflection of the unspoken sentiments of the wider group of Mao fans.

After doing my best to ignore his/her unattractive rants, I feel obliged to call let's talk out because the ugliness that (s)he quite deliberately stirred up was, unhappily, not transient or localized, but has metastasized. One can see it in several poisoned and ruined threads, in the renewal of the overwrought sniping between Mao and Yuna fans, in the noticeably elevated mean-spiritedness of atmosphere.

So, Minze2001, I'll echo Lenin's famous question: what is to be done? As there are no organized World Committees of the Fans of Mao/Yuna, a grand summit is obviously not possible. I believe that all we can do is to try to individually practice what we preach. In other words, it is not enough to merely complain that other fans are not giving one's favorite her due. We must give others (those skaters who are not our favorite) their due in our turn.

What else can we do? Try to deal only with those who practice the above, and ignore/condemn the haters, the baiters, and the trolls. This doesn't mean that we need to act like we have all been lobotomized, mindlessly grinning and liking everything equally. It merely means that we seek at least some minimum threshold of reason and fairness in those we choose to engage in discussion, and that we start things off by displaying those qualities first, if necessary ;). I will certainly try to do better as a fan of Yuna :).

Those are some of my attempts at suggesting constructive recourse. What are your thoughts?

minze

Medalist
When I look at Mao's achievements, not just in terms of medal counts but in terms of what she has been able to put out on ice over the entire arc of her career, there is no question in my mind that she is one of the greats; in many other cycles she would have dominated, IMO. I think you are right that there are some who refuse to give Mao her full due, which is an injustice.

Taking this thought a little further, though, I often feel that this is part of vicious cycle that was, and still is, mutually created by the enthusiastic but less judicious fans of both skaters.

Fans of Yuna may feel that that Mao fans are always trying to bring Yuna down, attempting to downplay the magnitude of her achievements, always whining that she is overscored, even when she skates just about perfectly, or endlessly nitpicking about things such as toe-point, etc. This creates a backlash in which some Yuna fans return the favor in equal measure, and in kind.

One can hardly say at this point who or what started it, who or what was originally to blame. All that can be known at this point is that it has become a cycle of attack unfailingly followed by reprisal, without end.

We also see specimens such as let's talk, who has trollishly succeeded in riling up some of Yuna's fans with her odd, voices-in-her-head mutterings, which go back at least to the Vancouver Olympics, about a Yuna conspiracy that has corrupted the skating world. I personally do not think that he/she is primarily motivated by allegiance to Mao, but rather by some strange, Iago-like hatred of Yuna's success.

But some of Yuna's fans, I think, have mistaken let's talk for a Mao fan, and in their anger have retaliated accordingly. This situation is compounded by the fact that no acknowledged Mao fan (I am not talking about those "who like both" or "love skating") has voiced any objections to that poster's outrageous ramblings, which may lead some of Yuna's more emotional fans to take to mean that either Mao fans recognize let's talk as one of their own number, or that her comments are a reflection of the unspoken sentiments of the wider group of Mao fans.

After doing my best to ignore his/her unattractive rants, I feel obliged to call let's talk out because the ugliness that (s)he quite deliberately stirred up was, unhappily, not transient or localized, but has metastasized. One can see it in several poisoned and ruined threads, in the renewal of the overwrought sniping between Mao and Yuna fans, in the noticeably elevated mean-spiritedness of atmosphere.

So, Minze2001, I'll echo Lenin's famous question: what is to be done? As there are no organized World Committees of the Fans of Mao/Yuna, a grand summit is obviously not possible. I believe that all we can do is to try to individually practice what we preach. In other words, it is not enough to merely complain that other fans are not giving one's favorite her due. We must give others (those skaters who are not our favorite) their due in our turn.

What else can we do? Try to deal only with those who practice the above, and ignore/condemn the haters, the baiters, and the trolls. This doesn't mean that we need to act like we have all been lobotomized, mindlessly grinning and liking everything equally. It merely means that we seek at least some minimum threshold of reason and fairness in those we choose to engage in discussion, and that we start things off by displaying those qualities first, if necessary ;). I will certainly try to do better as a fan of Yuna :).

Those are some of my attempts at suggesting constructive recourse. What are your thoughts?

Beautiful Response. Only suggestion: Respect eachother, skaters, and fandoms. Ignore trolls on both side and engage posters with constructive, objective and fair analysis.

I very much respect your comment, Robeye. It's been hard to weed through the vitriol to get to the sincere examination of both skaters' qualities. I persevere because it's been both enjoyable and enlightening to hear well-informed fans talk about what makes each of these superior skaters so extraordinary. Fortunately, a lot of fans have hung in there even in the noisiest threads to offer their expertise and to speculate on the upcoming season for two of the best skaters who have ever taken to the ice.

I know what you mean about threads' being poisoned. Several times lately, I've thought, "Who needs this stress?" I almost shut the door on those spats and moved on. But then I reconsidered. Why should any of us be chased away from talking about two of our favorite current ladies' skaters? We have just as much right to be here as anyone.

So...let's continue.

100yen

You can't explain witchcraft
Medalist
I know what you mean about threads' being poisoned. Several times lately, I've thought, "Who needs this stress?" I almost shut the door on those spats and moved on. But then I reconsidered. Why should any of us be chased away from talking about two of our favorite current ladies' skaters? We have just as much right to be here as anyone.

So...let's continue.

I know exactly how you feel. I have opened up the forum many times to have the first thing I read some nasty little comment war only to just leave. Sometimes it feels like it's not worth the stress to go through posting anything. But I agree, respectful fans who have a love and knowledge of the sport and these two ladies really make it worthwhile coming here. It's all about learning to filter and self-control I think.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
The threads only get nasty when people seriously dislike the skater(s) it refers to. Other than that you'll find that most posters here have good points that they back up with evidence or will give their opinion without it coming off as negative or mean-spirited.

Most of the posts in the "If all skate cleanly" thread were well-thought out and rationalized responses...only when people came in w/ craziness did the thread get nasty and turn into a mini-battle zone with insults being hurled every which way.

I find it's difficult for some posters to maintain their civility when it comes to talking about skating...weird, right?

It does seem strange, especially because one doesn't know whom one is yelling at. Is the person male? Female? A teenager? Elderly? Disabled? Alone in the world? Here for sustenance and diversion because real life is very stressful?

Plain old expertise is so much more rewarding to share with all those strangers. They probably get enough thunder and lightning in real life.

quikrush

Rinkside
As a Yuna fan, I always refrain from commenting on her rivals. I never discuss a particular lady skater unless she is 'safely' distanced from Yuna in terms of age and/or skating skills. I'm not saying everyone should follow my example, but I believe my attitude saved me from a lot of unnecessary bickering.

torren

Rinkside
Great post kwanatic! I can't help but get the impression that some people are just envious. Some of the sentiments expressed on this thread are basically:

She's too lucky--she only goes clean at Olympics and Worlds!
She's wins too easily--she takes a long break, then comes back and wins by landslide!
She's so arrogant--she wins then acts like it's nothing!

OK. Whatever. Such sentiments are lot more revealing about the individual poster than Yuna, though.
But Isn't it true it is weird? Remember that Usually she had errors a bit. I remember at least, She had 1 ~ 2 errors. But ironically where she success two cleans are first was olympic, second was World. Olympic is the biggest and important competition, World is secondly big and important. I think she has definitely great ability, but also I feel she always receive the help of luck. Even sometimes I thought It is related with she is catholic, always make the sign of the cross before program starts.

and I will answer about "How do you know that she had small efforts than competitiors?" which many posters asked me earlier in this thread. I saw " El Tango de Roxanne " exhibition. She showed her 2007 SP as gala. She jumped this jumps. 3S, triple lutz, double axel. She showed this gala just 3 months before she is in come back competition. Her jumps didn't look strong as now, her jumps were not same quality with in 2012-2013 season. Technically, She didn't look strong. Indeed. From at that time, technical level was going stronger like now in only 3 months. It proves that while she leave figure skating, she didn't use much times for training before she decided come back.

torren

Rinkside
I agree. I'd also like to bring up Nadia Comaneci, who was often criticized for not displaying any emotion during her gymnastics routines. Instead, she expressed her determination and drive through her technical perfection on the balance beam and uneven bars.

Yuna is the same -- not necessarily much facial expression, but her movements say it all.

When I see who perform without facial expression I can not say who's performance is artistic. Of course, my view is same for Nadia Comaneci

skateluvr

Record Breaker
It does seem strange, especially because one doesn't know whom one is yelling at. Is the person male? Female? A teenager? Elderly? Disabled? Alone in the world? Here for sustenance and diversion because real life is very stressful?

Plain old expertise is so much more rewarding to share with all those strangers. They probably get enough thunder and lightning in real life.

The best, accurate and most compassionate post to date, As the rules say, you can point out skater xyz's shortcomings in discussion, but attacking posters is verboten. Sometimes one is mildly critical. this provokes an all out attack, then one feels they must respond (at least if the attack was bad enough.

One good thing for me is I have 8 to 12 ladies I enjoy, so even if the scoring goes through the roof, I pray the skaters do their best. It hopefully will not be a repeat of Yuna vs Mao and Vitriol. I actually will be more interested in others this year. So many fab ladies and little girls too to hope for. I think one should refrain from saying "I hate skater x." As that is incendiary. I think it OK to say you hated the dress or costume. Just accept we all have various tolerance thresholds. But one should be able to make a point, even if it is negative.

Its Olympic fever people-yowzer!!!

ffionhanathomas

On the Ice
For me, it's the expression. So many skaters skate with dead pan faces and don't interpret the music at all, yes they may have the high PCS and technical scores but if their face is unlit and they skate through and not to the music they're simply rather un captivating. But, Kim Yu-Na really does express to a high standard, hence why she's very enjoyable to watch. However, for me, Sasha Cohen is the best at expressing the music, but Kim Yu-Na is catching up, alongside various other skaters.

I also think this expression makes skating more interesting for non skating fans to watch, as it makes the sport more dynamic and interesting!

EricRohmer

On the Ice
I've learned never to make assumptions about people's feelings from their facial expressions unless I know those people directly. I remember that Greg Louganis always looked impassive and almost expressionless as he dived, yet he later said in his book and in articles that he often felt insecure. No matter what he looked like, he certainly wasn't climbing up that thirty-foot tower thinking, "I'm God's gift to diving. I'm God's gift to diving."

YuNa always seems to look serene, which might mean something or nothing. By contrast, legendary gymnast Olga Korbut was so expressive that she could have acted out a complete story in a silent movie. It's just a difference in personality or, as you suggest, in upbringing.

ITA.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
In an interview(03-17) right after the medal ceremony...

Q: What did it feel like hearing the national anthem?
▶Kim: At first I thought it was just from a music player. But then I looked at the big screen and saw that people were actually singing it. I was really surprised because I had never seen it done this way before. I think it was really touching to see foreigners singing in Korean.

Q: How did it feel like, standing on top of the podium at Worlds?
▶Kim: I’ve competed at Worlds since 2007. I think that I was even happier that I won with two clean programs at Worlds. I have taken time off and it’s been a while since I last competed at Worlds, and to have gotten good results at my final Worlds added the joy. I think these Worlds will a competition that will remain in my heart as the happiest Worlds in my heart.

http://yunakimfan.com/2013/03/21/30431/
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

You might not be able to guess that 2013WC is the happiest Worlds for Yuna and she was surprised & moved by the vocal anthem, from her funeral look in the ceremony (according to a FSU user :biggrin:).

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I think this article will do for ya!

Voodoo: The Darker Side of Figure Skating
http://morozombie.blogspot.kr/2011/05/voodoo-darker-side-of-figure-skating.html#more

I bet Yuna has attained magic power and carried a cruxifix against the dark magic. They always work in the greatest battlefield!
That's how our main character rock! :yes:

Yuna is Catholic and I'm sure she wears a crucifix. I think this voodoo stuff is scary. I hope it is more a joke. Thoughts do have power and there are thousands of recorded miracles from saints down through the ages. Only a fool would deny the opposite of good.

Krislite

Medalist
But Isn't it true it is weird? Remember that Usually she had errors a bit. I remember at least, She had 1 ~ 2 errors. But ironically where she success two cleans are first was olympic, second was World. Olympic is the biggest and important competition, World is secondly big and important. I think she has definitely great ability, but also I feel she always receive the help of luck. Even sometimes I thought It is related with she is catholic, always make the sign of the cross before program starts.

One time could be seen as luck. But if you repeat the same clean performance at your most important competitions, that's not luck. ;)

and I will answer about "How do you know that she had small efforts than competitiors?" which many posters asked me earlier in this thread. I saw " El Tango de Roxanne " exhibition. She showed her 2007 SP as gala. She jumped this jumps. 3S, triple lutz, double axel. She showed this gala just 3 months before she is in come back competition. Her jumps didn't look strong as now, her jumps were not same quality with in 2012-2013 season. Technically, She didn't look strong. Indeed. From at that time, technical level was going stronger like now in only 3 months. It proves that while she leave figure skating, she didn't use much times for training before she decided come back.

It might indicate that she didn't train extensive during her break, but her big progress from the 2012 summer show to NRW Trophy to Korean Nationals and finally 2013 Worlds does indicate a lot of work that went into preparing for her Worlds competition. Had she been perfect from the beginning, then yes you could argue she didn't put a lot effort into her training. But not training hard during her break does not mean she didn't work hard to regain her form. When Yuna announced her comeback, she had about 8 months to train and prepare for Worlds--that's a lot of time, especially with her six-hours-a-day training regimen.

In any case, one can't really tell a skater's condition and training based on ice show jumps. Yuna rarely does her best at ice shows, even during her peak in the 2008-2010 seasons she only did a few 3Salchows and 3Toes in ice shows and not even very cleanly at that.

cooper

Medalist
when yuna showed her 3lutz in her ex last year i knew that she was serious of coming back competing.. she put a lot of work into it..

prettykeys

Medalist
One time could be seen as luck. But if you repeat the same clean performance at your most important competitions, that's not luck. ;)
It might indicate that she didn't train extensive during her break, but her big progress from the 2012 summer show to NRW Trophy to Korean Nationals and finally 2013 Worlds does indicate a lot of work that went into preparing for her Worlds competition. Had she been perfect from the beginning, then yes you could argue she didn't put a lot effort into her training. But not training hard during her break does not mean she didn't work hard to regain her form.
Nah, nah. YuNa was pretty darn lucky. Lightning struck twice and then some. I think her rivals should just relax and go back to the standards they set for themselves in the 2011-2012 season. ;)