Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 394

Thread: What are Yuna Kim's strongest points as a skater?

  1. #46
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    389
    Also, I have to say that this thread is becoming annoying.

    Serious.

    People trey to promote their favorite skater by pushing down others skaters.

    Some arguments are totally pointless. I would like to know why a skater who wears "longer skirts" is considered "better" than another another wears shorter skirts. This is only related to the fashion style/taste of the skater, not about the quality of the skating.

  2. #47
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    2,037
    What makes her special to the judges and commentators is her jumps....she lands her triple/triple more than most and it's a difficult combination. She skated a clean long at the Olympics, worlds and somewhere else so I don't know if that constitutes consistency.

  3. #48
    Custom Title yuki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    355
    Quote Originally Posted by eyria View Post
    But there's a reason that Yuna is Olympic champion, and they are not (yet), and I don't think it's trollish to consider what is special about Yuna.
    It isn't. However, saying things like "Carolina is not at Yuna's level because she wears short skirts" or "Carolina and Mao should just go ahead and copy Yuna" doesn't strike me as intending to provoke a meaningful discussion, but more like intending to rile people up - now what was the word for that, again?

  4. #49
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    3,753
    Quote Originally Posted by mateusp1 View Post
    I don't see problems with this flip.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0MuZvJXtNY
    Neither do I.

    Speaking for myself as a much lower-level skater doing single jumps, I have had problems with the timing and amount of vault off the pick, such that the back inside edge stays on the ice past the point of the toepick so that I take off from both feet at the same time and what will be the free foot is not (crossed) in front of the picking/landing foot in the air. That's a salchow-like flip that's more like a toe-assisted salchow than a true toe jump.

    I've worked hard to correct this error on the flip, but it still gives me trouble on the lutz -- which, combined with a change of edge, also turns into a toe-assisted salchow. That's why I don't do lutzes in my program.

    But just taking off from a curved inside edge on a flip is not this error.
    Here's another example of a perfectly good triple flip with a curved entry.

  5. #50
    Yuna's Ice Rink cooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,145
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    I gotta say, I honestly don't get it. I find her bland and nothing special. But I tend to find most of the ladies that way.

    And 2011 Worlds really rubbed me up the wrong way. She had the arrogance and conceit to just swan in to Worlds, not even having earned her place there, having even skipped her own Nationals, while everyone else had been working their butts off all season. Oh man, did that EVER rub me up the wrong way.
    before you start calling her arrogant and conceited just do some research first. she didn't even want to compete but the pyeongchang committee pressured her to do so. And to say not having earned her place there is ridiculous. she earned that spot whether she wanted to compete or not because she finished second in 2010 worlds and no other korean lady even cracked at the top 10.

    yuna winning this year's worlds is a slap in your face and her haters.

  6. #51
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by cooper View Post
    before you start calling her arrogant and conceited just do some research first. she didn't even want to compete but the pyeongchang committee pressured her to do so. And to say not having earned her place there is ridiculous. she earned that spot whether she wanted to compete or not because she finished second in 2010 worlds and no other korean lady even cracked at the top 10.

    yuna winning this year's worlds is a slap in your face and her haters.
    Now now, nobody slaps anyone anywhere...

    It's right that in 2011 Yuna skipped the Grand Prix season and directly participated at Worlds, but in an interview later on she revealed, that she actually desperatly wanted a break from skating and that it was pressure from outside, plus her own feelings for responsiblity towards her nation, that made her compete at worlds. One can now argue, that she still could have refused etc. but I don't think this indicates her being arrogant or conceited.
    From what I can see, she's a nice person, just like Mao and Caro being lovely personalities.

    @Karne: As much as you may dislike her, this thread's title is: 'What distinguishes Yuna from other skaters? Why do many find her superior?'. Maybe you should open a new thread called:
    'Reasons why some people don't like some skaters' This could become awesome since it's not only restricted to one skater but now everyone can finally say what has been bothering them deeply since years!

    Now back to topic: In a recent interview with David Wilson he said: I think, what sets Yuna apart is her work ethic. The top ladies have approx. the same amount of talent, but when I saw her perform this programm, everything just looked ... so trained!
    Also Brian Orser and her Korean coaches have complimented her work ethics.
    I'm not saying that other skaters are being lazy, but I believe yuna's work ethics is one of the main reasons she's so consistent.

    Yuna herself said in an interview once: There're lots of skaters who work harder than I do. I think I'm lucky to have the talent and the right body proportions. (Not a quote, just recalling out of memory)
    This indicates good self confidence, which is (the way I see it) the second big reason she's able to handle the pressure in competitions. Again not implying that the other skaters lack self confidence...

  7. #52
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,701
    Her consistent 3x3s set her apart.
    Apart from that, everything she does is just good. I find myself bored by her programs, save a few SPs and the LP in 2007.

  8. #53
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,740
    To Administrator/Moderator(s):
    Ummm, Is it possible to have this thread combined/absorbed into other ones, e.g. "Who can rival Kim in Sochi", please? Don't get me wrong, I LOVE YuNa. I fully agree YuNa is such a gorgeous and dominant skater in every way, but I don't see it necessary to create a new one to discuss (almost) the same things over and over. That's one of reasons that I don't like to often visit threads on Ladies...

  9. #54
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,451
    Quote Originally Posted by Eclair View Post
    Now now, nobody slaps anyone anywhere...

    It's right that in 2011 Yuna skipped the Grand Prix season and directly participated at Worlds, but in an interview later on she revealed, that she actually desperatly wanted a break from skating and that it was pressure from outside, plus her own feelings for responsiblity towards her nation, that made her compete at worlds. One can now argue, that she still could have refused etc. but I don't think this indicates her being arrogant or conceited.
    From what I can see, she's a nice person, just like Mao and Caro being lovely personalities.

    Now back to topic: In a recent interview with David Wilson he said: I think, what sets Yuna apart is her work ethic. The top ladies have approx. the same amount of talent, but when I saw her perform this programm, everything just looked ... so trained!
    Also Brian Orser and her Korean coaches have complimented her work ethics.
    I'm not saying that other skaters are being lazy, but I believe yuna's work ethics is one of the main reasons she's so consistent.

    Yuna herself said in an interview once: There're lots of skaters who work harder than I do. I think I'm lucky to have the talent and the right body proportions. (Not a quote, just recalling out of memory)
    This indicates good self confidence, which is (the way I see it) the second big reason she's able to handle the pressure in competitions. Again not implying that the other skaters lack self confidence...
    I too remember her saying that she has the right body type, and there's nothing boastful about that. If she does have that, it's genes and circumstance, and it's both modest and realistic to bring it up. It's not just her shape; it's the kind of muscle makeup she has--I never remember whether it's fast-twitch muscles or slow-twitch or some other kind, but there are certain muscle configurations that could make a good athlete great at one sport but just merely good at another.

    But great body type is just one component. We Americans remember with a bit of heartbreak that several skaters, including Christopher Bowman and Nicole Bobek, were considered to have more natural talent than almost everyone else around, and with haphazard training and bad lifestyle choices, they threw it away. With YuNa, it's the combination of fortunate physique and hard, hard work that made her the star that she is. Add to that a very cool mind. All the talent and work in the world can't save you if you headcase your way through major competitions, and I maintain that in Vancouver in 1910, YuNa skated under more pressure than almost anyone else in skating history (possibly excluding Midori Ito in 1992), because she was her country's entire international skating history all in one person. The closest I've ever seen to that pressure was Aussie runner Cathy Freeman in the Sydney Summer Games. After seeing YuNa's behavior on the nights of the short and the long programs, I can never be talked out of my boundless admiration for her. As far as whether anyone else personally likes, loves, or dislikes any or all of her programs, that's all fine with me.

  10. #55
    Yuna's Ice Rink cooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,145
    Quote Originally Posted by Eclair View Post
    Now now, nobody slaps anyone anywhere...
    hehe.. i just find it hilarious now because i know a lot of her critics/haters were hoping that she would fail miserably in her comeback and to win like what she did in this year's worlds made me chuckle even more.

  11. #56
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by cooper View Post
    hehe.. i just find it hilarious now because i know a lot of her critics/haters were hoping that she would fail miserably in her comeback and to win like what she did in this year's worlds made me chuckle even more.
    Yeah I got that, still very unfortunate choice of wording^^ Personally I would get angry, no matter how reasonably or not, if anyone told me: ha, slapped/ punched / kicked you in the face! Even if it's just via internet on a most subjective discussion board.

    @Olympia: Agree! Her ability to focus may have been really useful, too. Personally I greatly admire all these athletes who have the mindset to bann any distractions out of their mind and just focus on their performance. Out of experience I know from myself, that in important exams I can't calm down and always worry about the consequences... I guess this is highly trainable, but I haven't come around trying any meditation /breathing techniques etc etc....

  12. #57
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    2,188
    Quote Originally Posted by cooper View Post
    what a lame troll bait thread and posters jumped in!
    Quote Originally Posted by deedee1 View Post
    To Administrator/Moderator(s):
    Ummm, Is it possible to have this thread combined/absorbed into other ones, e.g. "Who can rival Kim in Sochi", please? Don't get me wrong, I LOVE YuNa. I fully agree YuNa is such a gorgeous and dominant skater in every way, but I don't see it necessary to create a new one to discuss (almost) the same things over and over. That's one of reasons that I don't like to often visit threads on Ladies...
    Hahaha. Plu threads survive for 50(!) pages with much heavier trolling than here. And you are already whining? Then don't even bother to try to convince me that she is a queen if she has such a lame fan-court.

  13. #58
    Yuna's Ice Rink cooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,145
    Quote Originally Posted by Eclair View Post
    Yeah I got that, still very unfortunate choice of wording^^ Personally I would get angry, no matter how reasonably or not, if anyone told me: ha, slapped/ punched / kicked you in the face! Even if it's just via internet on a most subjective discussion board.
    actually it's a phrase/idiom.. you know..

    Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    Hahaha. Plu threads survive for 50(!) pages with much heavier trolling than here. And you are already whining? Then don't even bother to try to convince me that she is a queen if she has such a lame fan-court.

  14. #59
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by cooper View Post
    actually it's a phrase/idiom.. you know..
    I know, but it's not exactly a compliment either

  15. #60
    Yuna's Ice Rink cooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,145
    Quote Originally Posted by Eclair View Post
    I know, but it's not exactly a compliment either
    no it's not but it's lightweight compared to the whole trashing somebody's character or simply trolling...

Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •