Max Aaron | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Max Aaron

ice coverage

Record Breaker
.... 2) I see Josh is going for the emo goth look with slightly longer hair and the beard thing going on :laugh: ...

Don't think Josh really has a beard.
The lighting is weird, and many of the guys look as if they have facial hair. Alex Shibutani is one of them, but in other photos from Champs Camp, he definitely is clean-shaven.

But yes, re Josh's new 'do. I came back to this thread to make note of it, and saw that you already had. ;)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Max is a substitute entry for Nepela Trophy, Oct 1-5.

Carriere is the men's entry from the U.S.

ETA:

... Glad Max got a front-row seat this year. Last year it looked so funny with all these tall guys in the back row then suddenly Max. :laugh:

I did smile at Max's spot in the back row last year -- because I liked seeing him there, looking perfectly comfortable alongside the likes of Shnapir and Bates. Max's markedly shorter height obviously doesn't faze him, and I'm sure that he feels that figuratively he stands as tall as they do.

In any case, seems quite random where the skaters happen to appear within the class photos. Max is such a gentleman that the front row prob. felt more weird to him than the back row.​

An unrelated Champs Camp selfie of the guys includes Max and his cap ;) [and Jason way in the background]:

deedee1

Record Breaker
Love his choices for programs/music, should suit him very well. :):yes: Good luck to Max and all his fans in the new season! :yay::party:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Love his choices for programs/music, should suit him very well. :):yes: Good luck to Max and all his fans in the new season! :yay::party:

Hi, deedee! :)
Love your post. Hope that Max will have a chance to return to Japan this season for World Team Trophy.

ETA, Champs Camp team-building photos/videos (not in chronological order) with Max:
https://twitter.com/USFigureSkating/status/504467500789006336
http://instagram.com/p/sL9iNgm3zp/ (from @usfigureskating)
http://instagram.com/p/sL_iVCG316/ (from @usfigureskating)
http://instagram.com/p/sMGHM2G8KG/ (from @jabbott2014)
winning team = Max Aaron; Scimeca/Knierim; the Shibutanis; Settlage; Shnapir; Rippon; Eaton; Cannuscio; Abbott; Wagner​
http://instagram.com/p/sMDy6wFYV6/ (from @tarahkayne)​

deedee1

Record Breaker
Hi, deedee! :)
Love your post. Hope that Max will have a chance to return to Japan this season for World Team Trophy.

Hi!!! :) I hope so, too. My belief, as someone who actually attended all three WTTs in the past, is that at a half-serious-half-joke competition like WTT ;), we need a number of skaters, especially male skaters who can :rock: the whole arena: for me were Evan, Ashley, Agosto, Brian, Florent, Nathalie, Fabian and Daisuke of course. J fans just yay for exciting performances and give standing Os, regardless which country the skater is from, or regardless how pro judges are to hold up/down the skater. :biggrin: and Max is such kind of skater, very exciting to watch for audience any day. He's gonna get HUUGE love from J skating fans for sure!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
LOL, even Max cannot charm his pal Kirsten Moore-Towers into relinquishing her iPad. #tbt

Hi!!! :) I hope so, too. My belief, as someone who actually attended all three WTTs in the past, is that at a half-serious-half-joke competition like WTT ;), we need a number of skaters, especially male skaters who can :rock: the whole arena: for me were Evan, Ashley, Agosto, Brian, Florent, Nathalie, Fabian and Daisuke of course. J fans just yay for exciting performances and give standing Os, regardless which country the skater is from, or regardless how pro judges are to hold up/down the skater. :biggrin: and Max is such kind of skater, very exciting to watch for audience any day. He's gonna get HUUGE love from J skating fans for sure!

:yay:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Starting a post for all things re Max and the 2014 SLC Classic (no doubt I will be making additions in the coming days ;)):

~ Max is featured in a promotional graphic for this year's SLC CLassic.

~ Max's photo accompanies the Sep 9 USFS press release as posted on IN:

~ @LynnRutherford
Practice @MaxTAaron impressive Gladiator 4S2T, powerful moves into spin, 3A2T, 3A out of nowhere, 3F1L3S (I think), 3 more triples #SLC2014
6:01 PM - 10 Sep 2014
https://twitter.com/LynnRutherford/status/509869258365353984

~ @USFigureSkating
Two-time U.S. Intl. Classic champion @MaxTAaron & @CoachTomZ talk to some reporters after official practice. #SLC2014 pic.twitter.com/wGq7vj1h6B
6:50 PM - 10 Sep 2014
https://twitter.com/USFigureSkating/status/509881664965586945

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I love the sound of this. 3A out of nowhere especially appeals to me! :yes:

Can't wait! This time tomorrow, I'll have hopefully seen Footloose for the first time!

TMC

Record Breaker
I love the sound of this. 3A out of nowhere especially appeals to me! :yes:

Can't wait! This time tomorrow, I'll have hopefully seen Footloose for the first time!

And it's your birthday as well isn't it? Happy birthday Karne, I hope Max gives you a great skate :biggrin:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
And it's your birthday as well isn't it? Happy birthday Karne, I hope Max gives you a great skate :biggrin:

Not tomorrow, but Saturday - so it'll be Gladiator, not Footloose :)

I am a little sad though, he's the second-last skater which means I probably won't get to see it live as I'll have to go back to work after lunch.

TMC

Record Breaker
Not tomorrow, but Saturday - so it'll be Gladiator, not Footloose :)

I am a little sad though, he's the second-last skater which means I probably won't get to see it live as I'll have to go back to work after lunch.

Are you watching via Icenetwork? Did you get that Hola to work? I'm still debating whether I should risk 50 bucks in case it doesn't work...

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Are you watching via Icenetwork? Did you get that Hola to work? I'm still debating whether I should risk 50 bucks in case it doesn't work...

I have tested Hola on IN with some other videos - Max's FS from this comp last year, and Jason's SkAm SP - and it seemed to work, with little in the way of freezing. I will be at home for lunch during the men's SP and will test it again then.

TMC

Record Breaker
I have tested Hola on IN with some other videos - Max's FS from this comp last year, and Jason's SkAm SP - and it seemed to work, with little in the way of freezing. I will be at home for lunch during the men's SP and will test it again then.

I hope it works :)

I need to stalk Youtube for videos...

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Some of the Max excerpts from one of Lynn Rutherford's articles today:

Max Aaron has moved past his disappointment at not making the 2014 U.S. Winter Olympic team, but that disappointment lingers beneath the surface.
"I don't want to get washed away," he said Wednesday. "Lots of fans -- not just figure skating fans but sports fans in general -- watch the Olympics and remember the skaters. I wasn't there. But hey -- I'm still relevant."
The 2013 U.S. champion skated like he had something to prove in his first practice in Salt Lake City, attacking every element in his Gladiator free skate with all the gusto of, well, Maximus himself, with a quad Salchow, two triple Axels and a string of triples and triple combinations in the second half.
The program, choreographed by Pasquale Camerlengo, is more character driven than last season's Carmen, and Aaron is glad of it.
"Gladiator is something I'm very comfortable with," Aaron said. "I'm going back to my roots, being that strong character, that athlete I like to be. It's who I am.
"I was really involved in the selection of the music. I played a big part in creating the program, and I'm so thankful Pasquale let me do that."
The challenge is to polish the skater's forceful brand of artistry and reinforce its value to the judges, both in Gladiator and in Aaron's short, choreographed by Mark Pillay, to music from Footloose.
"Speed changes, movement changes -- that's something I'm focusing on," Aaron said in his characteristic staccato delivery. "Go back, watch video, keep going over it. I've always heard, 'You're a fast skater.' I want to show I can [vary] my movement, be different things.
"I took the whole offseason to work on defining technique, and to work on transitions in and out of the jumps."
Judging from the Gladiator run-through, he is succeeding. His second triple Axel seems to pop up out of nowhere.
"It took me a long time to come up with that one," Aaron said. "I like to watch Yuzuru [Hanyu] -- he has a counter and rocker into a triple Axel. I thought: 'What can I do, without copying him?'"
Aaron and his coach, Tom Zakrajsek, came up with a forward cross, forward three-turn combination into the jump, which took a lot of time to perfect this summer.
To that end, Aaron welcomes constructive criticism. He got a bit of it at U.S. Figure Skating's recent Champs Camp.
"The feedback was good; they noticed the transitions, and that the telegraphing [of jumps] was reduced," Aaron said. "Originally, there was more spoken dialogue in the Gladiator program. They suggested we take a section out, and we did. I'm happy with it." ...

http://www.icenetwork.com/news/2014/09/11/94240784 (Sep 11)​

ETA, Max's post-SP interview in SLC:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Max's Footloose was excellent for this point in the season. Can't wait to see it at full strength!

Jumps were 4S-hand-2T, 3A+++, 3Lz+.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Max's Footloose was excellent for this point in the season. Can't wait to see it at full strength!

Jumps were 4S-hand-2T, 3A+++, 3Lz+.

I agree. For me this was the best constructed SP I have seen from Max. Love his new hair too!

He Looked disappointed in the K&C. Not the score he was hoping for but it is the beginning of the
season he will only get better.

Looking forward to his FS.

Thanks to all for the updates and info!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Anyway. . . found Footloose online if anyone wants to view it before it gets deleted, if it does.

I think it has promise. . . He needs to relax and enjoy it more, he looked very nervous.

Thank you very much, Stitch :). Looks promising to me too. :yay: (And I think his hair suits the program well. :yes:)

Max Aaron only positive note in the first day of the United States International Figure Skating Classic

And Max is at the very end of these Thursday highlights from USFS (cross-posting the link in the SLC thread):