Max Aaron

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

ice coverage

Record Breaker
IN's video of Max's 2011 Nats FS in Greensboro is available (for now) without a paid subscription.
Max Aaron wins the junior men's title at the 2011 U.S. Figure Skating Championships.

eta, IN tweeted this freeze-frame of Max's 2011 FS.

Random comment vaguely related to the "Get To Know Max" video:
Max's UFC favorite Urijah Faber made a surprise appearance tonight on Shark Tank (as a celebrity model for a menswear entrepreneur). I had never laid eyes on Faber before, but his name rang a bell to me b/c of Max's references to him. :laugh: At least one of the sharks recognized Faber immediately -- and was excited to see him.
And now I can kind of imagine why Max identifies with Faber, who seems to be relatively short, but very fit. Although his face bears no resemblance to Max at all, Faber is similar in the sense of having handsome looks, with nice eyes and a pleasing smile. :)

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Thanks for the link, golden411! I'd never seen this program of Max's before. I quite like it, though it's rather a shock to see a Max who isn't even trying the quad and fell on a 3A! :shocked:

He would have been 18, or 19 here, and yet he looks so much smaller and younger. What is most interesting to me, is that this program makes it very obvious that Max hears the music, and feels it. Especially during the footwork sequence. (Aside: I love how you can date programs to when the "half the rink on one foot" rule was in place!).

That last spin is epicly fast. He's so adorable and pocket-sized.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
More re: Max and 2015 U.S. Nats in Greensboro:

Max Aaron, who won the men’s junior national title back in 2011, is hoping Greensboro will prove to be a good-luck spot for him this time around.
Greensboro was also a good place for Aaron’s sister, Madeline, who won the novice pairs title in 2011 with partner, Max Settlage. They won the 2014 junior title and will be making their senior debut in Greensboro this year.
Max Aaron, meanwhile, comes to Greensboro “looking for my title shot.” ...
“I want to deliver what I have been training,” Aaron said. “I want to skate well, especially at this event the year after the Olympics. I just missed it, so I really want to lay it down and start building for the next Olympics.
“I want to show people how much of fire is burning in my stomach.”

... When Aaron reminisced about the 2011 nationals, one thing immediately came to mind: memories of the pulled pork and baked beans from Stamey’s, the restaurant that is a Greensboro institution located just steps away from the arena.
“My sister and I just loved that place,” Aaron said. “We’re looking forward to getting back there. Just thinking about it is making me hungry.”

via @EddieWootenNR

ETA:

Max Aaron music update:
Aaron will skate his short program on Friday to “Footloose," the 2011 cover by country music star Blake Shelton.
“We changed to Blake Shelton to get a little more modern rock sound,” Zakrajsek said.

http://www.news-record.com/sports/f...cle_0dd195c8-a0fa-11e4-99a2-a767c62c8943.html (Jan 21)​

(Max was using Kenny Loggins before.)

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Seems that Max will stick to quad Salchows in competition at Nats:

The 2013 champion also has good memories of Greensboro, having won the junior title here in 2011. Aaron is one of the most successful U.S. skaters when it comes to landing quads, and he plans to attempt two in his free skate.
Coach Tom Zakrajsek said Aaron has been working on quad loops in practice and has two quad Salchows in the free skate.
Will he do a quad loop in practices in Greensboro?
"No," Zakrajsek said before pausing and adding, "Well, he might in an exhibition practice."
Known mostly for his jumping, Aaron has "not stayed stagnant" when it comes to his artistic development, Zakrajsek said.
Mark Pillay choreographed Aaron's short program to music from Footloose.
"I saw that Mark was so passionate about this, and so I was all in," Aaron said. "It has been a lot of fun, and I think people will see a new Max."

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Can't wait to see a 4Lo in the gala to celebrate his National medal!

Can I please vent my grief at the music change? I need to. This is not okay at all! If you're going to use Footloose it HAS to be Kenny Loggins! :cry: :cry:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Can't wait to see a 4Lo in the gala to celebrate his National medal!

Can I please vent my grief at the music change? I need to. This is not okay at all! If you're going to use Footloose it HAS to be Kenny Loggins! :cry: :cry:

Oh dear, I just saw this. Oh no. :shocked: I liked Footloose. I liked Kenny Loggins.I wasn't crazy about the cut, so maybe the cover is easier to edit, but I am sorry, a cover sounds cheesy. Max, no.:confused2:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
A nice photo of Max is on Rolling Stone's website. How cool is that? :cool: (Wonder whether the article and photo also are in the hard-copy magazine too. :think:)

(The article includes a quote from Mark Pillay re Max and Footloose. [But not related to Blake Shelton. ;)] The photo is not of Footloose.])

ETA, Max's photo shows up also in @RollingStone's tweet. :)

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Post SP-quotes from Max indicate that he sounds pumped for the FS :yay::

Arizonans Aaron and Razzano in fourth and 10th after men's short program

And as if we needed any reminder why we love Max, the last paragraph is heart-melting :yes::
Aaron trains in Colorado Springs at the Broadmoor Skating Club with Joshua Farris, who is currently in second place. .... It should be noted that when Aaron approached the mix zone to be interviewed, he was ecstatic that Farris posted a better score than his and moved into second place.

ETA:
LOL, Max Aaron's Shirt now has its own Twitter account.
(Not started by me.)​

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The Max/Jason/Joshua triumvirate would be just too adorable for words.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
(1) IN article with long post-SP section about Max (with quotes from him and TZ), by Lynn Rutherford:

Tar Heel tales: Aaron continues to work on PCS
Quads lacking among top U.S. men; Blade issues affect Dornbush's Axel

(2) Seriously substantive (really) Social Scene interview with Max:
(includes serious stuff about lyrics; Sochi and 2014 Worlds; skaters he looks up to, etc. -- as well as lighter stuff)​

(3) Lots of smiles :) from Max in the video of his post-SP interview in the Athlete Lounge, conducted by Coughlin:

"Country" Max is in high spirits :yes: :yay:.

The Max/Jason/Joshua triumvirate would be just too adorable for words.

:agree:

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Max is adorable but at least we know the taste in awful TV shows started young.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
He did. Good fight, Gladiator. Good fight. Some days the arena is a cruel place to be.

And I love that he hugged Jason first, that he hugged them all on the podium. Such a sportsman.

Also, his "death" was the best in-character moment of the night. (Even if it did make me nervous for a minute.)

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I think that LP was hands-down Max's best performance this season. For the first time, I believed him as the Gladiator.

In another year, it would've been more than enough...

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Max, needs to play a roll I think. I almost want to see him do a Charlie Chaplin program. Ok, I don't really but that is the only clique example I can think. Charlie is at least a character we are all familiar with that a skater can really sink teeth into and play a role we all tend to recognize. I want to see max really try some acting after tonight. He is such a playful guy, I think letting him play a role could be really good for him.

Also. . . I'm half expecting him to have a pony tail next year. Heck, I think he is about a month away from having the length as is.

While it is sad to see it end here, I think he has found his passion again. He seemed happy with himself, and had a joy about him that has been lacking. He can take an Elizaveta season and come back with fire.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Why can't he go to Gardena trophy, challenge cup and world team trophy? It's not worlds or 4cc but it shows there is some support for him in America.