Max Aaron

tulosai

Record Breaker

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The real Max is finally here, and he's gonna win all those trophies! yeah!

:dance:

Well, last year Hanyu made it to the final with a silver and a fifth, so anything is possible really :)

Please do not invoke such horrible thoughts! I do not wish to think that Max would fall as many times as that :no:

Add me to the list of those who cried with joy for him. I'm still crying today.

Awww golden! Our SnuggleBat!

those negativity throwing at Max :disapp: oh forget it, Max won fair and square, they have to deal with it.

It's a little bit fun, in a way, because it means that our SnuggleBat has well and truly arrived and made good on his promise. They're afraid of him, afraid that this won't be his first victory, afraid he'll beat their favourites. And so they should be afraid.

For me, one of the most emotional moments of the day was when the podium ceremony started, and Jason was introduced, and when he finished taking his bows he ran straight for Max and gave him a huge, tight hug. The emotion was obvious. But there was a second hug too, much later, as they were doing their lap; Jason and Max stopped to pose for a picture for USFS, and then after they'd finished that there was another hug. It was so tight, the feelings were clear; they were happy for each other, but Jason knew exactly what this meant for his SnuggleBat friend.

More J happy:

jeremyabbotpcf: Congrats @MaxTAaron! Congrats to everyone at #SkateAmerica way to kick off another GP season.

And of course as if we needed any more proof, the gala outfit reaffirmed for us that our SnuggleBat is in tremendous shape... :eek::

Last edited:

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
congratulations to Max :cheer: really happy for him, it must feel great to see his hard work paying off :yay: all the best to him for rest of the season! :cheer:

tulosai

Record Breaker
It's a little bit fun, in a way, because it means that our SnuggleBat has well and truly arrived and made good on his promise. They're afraid of him, afraid that this won't be his first victory, afraid he'll beat their favourites. And so they should be afraid.

For me, one of the most emotional moments of the day was when the podium ceremony started, and Jason was introduced, and when he finished taking his bows he ran straight for Max and gave him a huge, tight hug. The emotion was obvious. But there was a second hug too, much later, as they were doing their lap; Jason and Max stopped to pose for a picture for USFS, and then after they'd finished that there was another hug. It was so tight, the feelings were clear; they were happy for each other, but Jason knew exactly what this meant for his SnuggleBat friend.

And of course as if we needed any more proof, the gala outfit reaffirmed for us that our SnuggleBat is in tremendous shape... :eek::

He looks awesome in that costume! And you are right, when people start to attack someone after they start winning it is usually because they are afraid of them for some reason or another.

I know this is a Max thread but also wanted to say Jason is a deeply classy person. I think you are right he knew what this meant for Max.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I was a bit shocked to see how much anti-Max sentiment. I thought one win they would give him for hard work at least. He finally does two good programs with quads and in more the tone of what TPTB what him to do, and still people *****..... I just don't get it. Ohh well.

I am thrilled he did well and thrilled he was treated well by the audience and judges. I am really hoping Max and Jason get to go to Boston at this point.....im leaving the third spot in my heart open as i think that would likely result in me being least disappointed.

Jason and Max treated each other in the way that makes me love the men's discipline of the sport. They are so sweet and respectful to each other. Good luck to them both the rest of the season.

Max has a great chance to make it to the GPF at this point, especially with TEB shaping up to be not that great of a group now.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I too am surprised by some of the negative comments but he deserved that medal by going clean (except for the 2A stumble). He has worked his butt off to get where he is, so I say good for him. Nice to see Max happy and Jason happy for him (those 2 NJBs are so cute together, lol).

Hope this bodes well for the rest of the season and hope to see Max in Boston!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I was a bit shocked to see how much anti-Max sentiment. I thought one win they would give him for hard work at least. He finally does two good programs with quads and in more the tone of what TPTB what him to do, and still people *****..... I just don't get it. Ohh well.

He beat someone who is already a bit of a fan favourite and who already has a lot of hype around him. It was kind of inevitable.

But I have to admit the fun of watching heads explode is starting to wear off and now the constant abuse and vitriol is just...irritating.

I am thrilled he did well and thrilled he was treated well by the audience and judges.

I will confess that I was absolutely STUNNED that the judges actually went with him. I thought for sure they were going to hand it to Shoma. Especially in the US.

Max has a great chance to make it to the GPF at this point, especially with TEB shaping up to be not that great of a group now.

Hush! Don't jinx it!

Meoima

Match Penalty
I love Max, but to be honest at TEB it will be super difficult because you know who will be there and they are all judges' favorite. :scowl: I only hope that Max will feel happy and content to whatever result he will get. :yes:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am also surprised at the shade thrown at SnuggleBat. He has quads, for heaven's sake, and good ones, isn't that what these folks want? I do think Karne is right: when some fans anoint a "second coming" skater, woe to the skater (or fans) who gets in their way.

Hey, he has a *win*. Wouldn't it be cool if two American men made it to GPF? (and Max is in the forefront for that!) A dream, but gotta keep dreaming.... Watch the heads explode then:dance:

Meoima

Match Penalty
I really hope this will be a huge confidence boost for him. Max has great jumps and he is one of the fastest guy out there (his speed into the quad is the same as Patrick Chan). So I hope he will continue to work with Phillip Mills to polish the programs. And I hope he will treat us with even much better performances in the future. Go for it, Max! Even if you are not the judges' favorites like those will be at TEB, your hardwork will pay off!

Last edited:

adelia

Record Breaker
I am also surprised at the shade thrown at SnuggleBat. He has quads, for heaven's sake, and good ones, isn't that what these folks want? I do think Karne is right: when some fans anoint a "second coming" skater, woe to the skater (or fans) who gets in their way.

Hey, he has a *win*. Wouldn't it be cool if two American men made it to GPF? (and Max is in the forefront for that!) A dream, but gotta keep dreaming.... Watch the heads explode then:dance:
:thumbsup:

salchowx4

On the Ice
Max's victory is impressive.

Consider this:

He skated in the first group in the short.
He has a weak reputation when it comes to artistry.
He is not the golden boy of his federation.
And his coach, while a relatively big name in the skating world, is not known for being particularly great at international politics.

The only thing he had going for him was that the competition was Skate America. However, the judging at all the Skate America events was actually pretty reasonable and didn't seem to display any pro-host bias, so the only real benefit was that of a receptive home audience.

Anyway, I thought he was the obvious winner. The judges got the men's podium exactly correct.

Last edited:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The only thing he had going for him was that the competition was Skate America.

Sorry, I can't let this one go, and I rarely post in Fan Fest. This is a restatement of what I posted in the main Skate America Men's FS thread:

The "home-cooking" notion that seems to have caught fire is nonsense.

Prior to Max's win, the last American man to win Skate America was Evan Lysacek, six years ago. Prior to that it was Michael Weiss, six years before Evan.

The last American woman to win Skate America was Wagner, five years ago. There have been two American pairs to win since 1991... that's 2 in 24 years, and it doesn't look like there was much competition for those.

Only the homegrown dancers have had consistent success recently, and when you're talking Davis/White and Chock/Bates, that can hardly be classified as a surprise or a controversy.

If the judges are trying to cook the books to roll out American winners at Skate America, then they're doing it wrong.

Max won this competition because he delivered two very difficult and well done programs. I'm proud of him for his hard work.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Max won this competition because he delivered two very difficult and well done programs. I'm proud of him for his hard work.
:thumbsup:
Exactly, and they should take into account that Max is not even among top 3 of USFA's favorite. He won by his own strength. Had he been their favorite, his PCS wouldn't be just 81 for God's sake.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I love Max, but to be honest at TEB it will be super difficult because you know who will be there and they are all judges' favorite. :scowl: I only hope that Max will feel happy and content to whatever result he will get. :yes:

Hmm. I am actually looking at the TEB entry list now, and the four names that jump out at me are Uno, Chan, Ten and Kovtun. Denis may not even make TEB - the quotes from him in the IceNetwork articles certainly looked as though he means to withdraw. He's just beaten Uno - yes, it was close, but that doesn't mean Shoma is guaranteed to beat him next time. He can certainly compete with Kovtun technically and SHOULD beat him on PCS - and now that internationally his stock is rising, and as a GP gold winner already, his reputation will be up...

I certainly think silver at TEB is possible for our SnuggleBat.

The sad part is, the few ruin it for the many. The majority of Shoma's fans have been very nice about Max winning, and happy about Shoma getting silver, which is as it should be. Silver on a GP at 17, let's not lose sight of how mega that is! Yet some few keep harping on and on...and he will never be enough for them. There is nothing he could do to make them happy. So, I guess all we can do is just keep fighting the good fight and enjoying SnuggleBat's performances.

Sorry, I can't let this one go, and I rarely post in Fan Fest. This is a restatement of what I posted in the main Skate America Men's FS thread:

The "home-cooking" notion that seems to have caught fire is nonsense.

Prior to Max's win, the last American man to win Skate America was Evan Lysacek, six years ago. Prior to that it was Michael Weiss, six years before Evan.

The last American woman to win Skate America was Wagner, five years ago. There have been two American pairs to win since 1991... that's 2 in 24 years, and it doesn't look like there was much competition for those.

Only the homegrown dancers have had consistent success recently, and when you're talking Davis/White and Chock/Bates, that can hardly be classified as a surprise or a controversy.

If the judges are trying to cook the books to roll out American winners at Skate America, then they're doing it wrong.

TontoK, I think you may have slightly misunderstood salchowx4 (what an appropriate name! :D). I think their point was that the "only" thing that might be considered to be going "for" Max was that it was Skate America, but the implication is that Max is not a USFS darling so that's actually NOT in his favour, thus it wasn't really "going for him" anyway. :yes:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Max has posted on instagram, and in typical Max fashion, he completely downplays his achievement:

#SkateAmerica has finally come to a close. So honored to represent the USA and humbled to be coming home with a medal. Thank you so much for all the support and to all the volunteers that helped put on such a great event in Milwaukee!

Oh SnuggleBat! "a medal"? Only the best colour of all! :yes:

How many weeks until TEB again? *sigh* Too many!

...and still another 135 days... :hopelessness:

Last edited:

tulosai

Record Breaker
Max has posted on instagram, and in typical Max fashion, he completely downplays his achievement:

Oh SnuggleBat! "a medal"? Only the best colour of all! :yes:

How many weeks until TEB again? *sigh* Too many!

...and still another 135 days... :hopelessness:

I mean I do believe he would have been thrilled with any medal and his goal was probably just to medal initially, but you are right that he is so cute in how he phrases it!! And actually I think it's onlyabout 2 and a half weeks till TEB now... the agony of the wait is real, but not endless :cheer:

salchowx4

On the Ice

I agree. I think you misunderstood my post. (Perhaps I could have worded it a bit better, but I thought the meaning was relatively clear. I even said that the judging didn't display any pro-host bias.)

Last edited: