Max Aaron | Page 76 | Golden Skate

Max Aaron

ice coverage

Record Breaker
New choreographer for Max this season: Katherine Hill.

In the newly published interview from Ted Flett, TZ refers to her new programs (plural) for Max this season. (Mentioned at approx. 10:30.)

The interview was recorded on July 6, and covers Vincent, Max, and Mirai. The focus on Max starts at 8:45.

(TZ briefly alludes to his work with Patrick as well.)

Thanks to Golden Skate for the interview.

https://youtu.be/fkmIIuIhDMA (26:41, published Jul 24)​

Lots of accidental mini-cameos as Christy Krall (for example) and lotsa skaters randomly are coming and going through the lobby(?) where the interview was conducted.
Including (separately) Max, Mirai, and Vincent.
SnuggleBat at approx. 2:50 ... who turns away as soon as he notices the interview in progress.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I am unfamiliar with Katherine Hill. Can anyone point me in the direction of some of her previous programs?

The fact that Tom refers to both programs being done by her tells me that the matador is gone forever, and I am so sad.

Now:

Z mentions that two options on the table for Mirai's free skate were Firebird and Queen. I have been assured by a fairly reliable source on the other forum that he is not skating to Firebird, nor to Queen. So I am a little confused, but still and always hopeful.

...and...not going to lie...more than a little mad that Ted Flett tries to demote Max's finish at Nationals to worse than it already was.

And yes, that is the entrance lobby to the World Arena Ice Hall. The rink behind is, I think, the Olympic rink (not the one with the banners). The rink behind them gave me much joy last year. The purple Zamboni is pretty epic.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I am unfamiliar with Katherine Hill. Can anyone point me in the direction of some of her previous programs?

The fact that Tom refers to both programs being done by her tells me that the matador is gone forever, and I am so sad.

Now:

Z mentions that two options on the table for Mirai's free skate were Firebird and Queen. I have been assured by a fairly reliable source on the other forum that he is not skating to Firebird, nor to Queen. So I am a little confused, but still and always hopeful.

...and...not going to lie...more than a little mad that Ted Flett tries to demote Max's finish at Nationals to worse than it already was.

And yes, that is the entrance lobby to the World Arena Ice Hall. The rink behind is, I think, the Olympic rink (not the one with the banners). The rink behind them gave me much joy last year. The purple Zamboni is pretty epic.

Karne, two things you might be interested in:

She and Jamie Whyte did a multi-part series of short videos for TSL, available here:

https://jennifer-kirk-tuli.squaresp...he-deeper-edge-with-katherine-hill-and-jamie-

I think she and Drew Meekins used to give a workshop for skaters. It was my vague recollection Drew it mentioned it in the 2016 TSL show where he was cohost, but I can't seem to find it now.

ETA, I think she worked in Monument with Kori for awhile. I think she may also do business consulting. Here's her YouTube channel:

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCpPIsq68Z9aDOLaHkfYQZ-A

And her website:

http://khill.co/on-the-ice/

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Katherine Hill choreographed Jordan Moeller's 2014-15 SP.

And she was involved in the choreographic process for Vincent Zhou's new FS from Charlie White.

Creative workshops for business clients are another thing that Katherine Hill and Drew Meekins offer together:

... The fact that Tom refers to both programs being done by her tells me that the matador is gone forever, and I am so sad.

... .and...not going to lie...more than a little mad that Ted Flett tries to demote Max's finish at Nationals to worse than it already was.

Yes, I too am sad that Matador is gone. And that Max is not working at all with Phillip Mills this season.

And I agree that Ted Flett's error was salt in a wound.
I assume that it was an honest error, but it was weird to me that Ted did not immediately defer to TZ's correction. Which would seem in order to me when any coach is speaking of her/his own's skater's placement. And especially when it comes to the super-detail-oriented TZ.

Thx for replying about the lobby. So happy that you also mentioned the joy that WAIH brought to you :ghug:.

ETA:
Karne, two things you might be interested in:

She and Jamie Whyte did a multi-part series of short videos for TSL, available here:

https://jennifer-kirk-tuli.squaresp...he-deeper-edge-with-katherine-hill-and-jamie-

I think she and Drew Meekins used to give a workshop for skaters. It was my vague recollection Drew it mentioned it in the 2016 TSL show where he was cohost, but I can't seem to find it now....

Thanks for the information.

The link for the Katherine Hill TSL videos does not work for me. This one does:

The TSL video with Drew Meekins (who in the last few minutes discusses the Modern Skating Workshops offered by Katherine Hill and himself):

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
SNUGGLEBAT FANS! ASSEMBLE!

For our wait is nearly over, and our patience is to be rewarded!

MAX IS ENTERED FOR PHILADELPHIA NEXT WEEKEND

AND THERE MIGHT BE A LIVE STREAM. OMG.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Stream update: it's by that Pro Event Photo company. The ones who provided the passable Broadmoor stream but the unwatchable disaster that was the Skate Detroit stream.

And it's forty-five-*******-dollars. US.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
This morning. Beautiful. Breathtaking. Bring Him Home/One Day More. And that was a genius decision to use both songs because the first half stretches your heart to breaking point and then the second half lifts it.

Not clean. 4T splat, 4S tilted forward no combo, and a stunning 3A, but for August, he already looks in better shape than he did in October last year (although we now know why). But breathtaking all the same. The restrained grace in the start of the program...the uplifting power in the second half...and he controls it so beautifully. I WASN'T CRYING THERE WERE NINJAS CHOPPING ONIONS.

If you wish to share this feeling, drop me a PM...I won't be posting them anywhere public.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Max's new FS music: Phantom of the Opera.

He has wanted to skate to it for years.

His commitment to working on movement once again is paying off. His new FS looked very nice in practice tonight.

Go, Max :yay:.

charmblade

Final Flight
Thanks so much for all the info Ice coverage!

POTO is probably another good choice for Max but he really went for the warhorses, didn't he? I'll remain cautiously optimistic.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Thanks so much for all the info Ice coverage!

POTO is probably another good choice for Max but he really went for the warhorses, didn't he? I'll remain cautiously optimistic.

I think the important thing for Max is his own strong desire to skate to his music choice, whether it is Daft Punk or Phantom.

He looked so happy :) :ghug: as he spoke to me about Phantom -- his beaming smile made me feel very happy and excited for him :yay:.

The last group of international men at FS practice last night was a very congenial U.S. foursome: Max, Alex Johnson, Dolensky, Krasnozhon.
Before their individual music started being played, they were chatting with each other quite a bit as they warmed up.
Max along with the others seemed in very good spirits.

(Lest anyone wonder: Yaro Paniot belonged to this practice group, but did not attend the late-night practice. And Sean Rabbitt in the second group did not attend either. They both had had an extremely long travel day en route to Philadelphia -- arriving very late at night because of a major flight delay. So my guess is that getting a good night's rest before the FS took precedence for them.)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
POTO is magnificent, I loved it. I cannot wait to see it at full strength.

And Max landed both 4Ts! :D With a 4S also, I think this makes this his first ratified three-quad FS!

charmblade

Final Flight
Ok, I was away most of the weekend but I finally got to watch some videos, and both programs look like they will be great! Bring Him Home already looks like he's pretty comfortable with it and is very well done. And I agree that his spins show some definite improvement. POTO has some odd music cuts (and ending- it seemed very abrupt) and i think he still needs a little bit more time to really settle into it but it has great potential.

I think Max did an excellent job of picking music this year that is strong and powerful but also allows him to show the improvements he's made in his artistry.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Max did an excellent job of picking music this year that is strong and powerful but also allows him to show the improvements he's made in his artistry.

He certainly went out with the war-horsey choices, but I think he likes skating to warhorses and it is the Olympic year. I like his SP more than the FS. I hope they recut the music for the FS, the last minute really doesn't build (suggestion, use Akiko's cut from 2014) to a climax as it should. Maybe they will play around with the cuts (like they did with Black Swan) before season officially starts.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Aaron hopes Broadway is ticket to PyeongChang
Murakami eyes Olympic spot; Stellato-Dudek, Bartholomay test the limits

Posted 8/9/17
by Lynn Rutherford, special to icenetwork
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2017/08/09/247349704

First long section of this article is about Max :yay:.
Quotes from Max, Katherine Hill, and Tom Z.

Thank you, Lynn Rutherford :thank:.

#KatherineHill

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Aaron hopes Broadway is ticket to PyeongChang
Murakami eyes Olympic spot; Stellato-Dudek, Bartholomay test the limits

Posted 8/9/17
by Lynn Rutherford, special to icenetwork
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2017/08/09/247349704

First long section of this article is about Max :yay:.
Quotes from Max, Katherine Hill, and Tom Z.

Thank you, Lynn Rutherford :thank:.

"If it came easy, it wouldn't be fun."

:love: :love:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
"If it came easy, it wouldn't be fun."

:love: :love:

:agree:

BTW, the Max/Broadway article is the first-ever (AFAIK?) lede story on IN's brand-new page devoted to 2018 PyeongChang coverage :cool:.

For now, Max appears on the IN PyeongChang page a second time too -- in the nice photo of Team Tom Z attached to TZ's IN blog from July.

(Of course I realize that ever-newer IN coverage eventually will displace the Max stuff from these positions. Just liking the idea of good PyeongChang vibes for Max at this point :ghug:.)

Speaking of nice photos of Max, I like these also:

The smile-y one attached to the USFS tweet promoting the GS interview:

ETA (on Aug 13):
For Facebook, USFS chose a good non-smile-y photo of Max to promote its latest batch of Icebreakers links (including the IN article re his music choices and his GS interview).
https://www.facebook.com/usfiguresk...264041.209118026341/10154912216861342/?type=3 (Aug 12)​

Max with Camden Pulkinen and Becky Calvin in the IN backstage gallery re Philadelphia International (scroll to seventh photo):

Sean Rabbitt with Max and Alex Johnson after their FS at Philadelphia International (plus lovely message from Sean):

ETA:
I forgot that Max also is in the last photo in Sean's series. Scroll/swipe to group shot with Sean, smile-y Max, Camden, Haley Beavers.​

Max on ice at Philadelphia International:

Links for posterity:

IN recap article re Philadelphia International:

Results/Protocols for Philadelphia International:

#2017PhiladelphiaInternational

ETA:

Forgot to mention that Max's IN bio was updated after Philadelphia.

Now shows Katherine Hill as his choreographer, along with his 2017-18 music choices.
(And I could be wrong, but I think the Lion King photo [costume version 2.0] is new to his bio page??)​