Max Aaron | Page 93 | Golden Skate

Max Aaron

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Snugglebat looking very snuggly in that jacket! I am frantically doing time conversions.

- Oh! It's in about 10 minutes.

Judging by the info in the bio, Max has been very, very very busy since we heard from him last!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Max is still very handsome, he looks exactly the same as when he left us!

He never took his ACTs (?? what are these?) and went to community college at first. He was trying to get school done as quickly as possible between 2014 and 2018 and "didn't have much of a social life" at that point.

The interviewer seems nice but she really doesn't seem to have much of an idea about skating.

Max makes reference to being the "luckiest unlucky person" again.

HE'S SMILING AND I'M WARM AND FUZZY.

(He still loves Italy.) He loves fashion even though he's wearing a hoodie and his wardrobe is full of black, white and grey. :laugh: He says he had pizza every day on a trip to Italy one summer, and "my coach wasn't very happy with that" (I assume he meant Tom Z).

He also enjoyed skating in Japan, "it feels like superstars there, like football players".

In school he was "just a normal dude" and had a lot of friends who didn't know who he was. He lived next to Michael Phelps! ("Oops am I supposed to say that? I'm retired now so it's okay." :laugh: )

Max really wanted to change that mindset, to not be a one-facet kind of person - "You're more than just the athlete, you're more than just one thing". "It doesn't even have to be a student full-time - just chipping away at it."

Max graduated Magna Cum Laude and Beta Gamma Sigma. He didn't know what that was! He originally wanted to be in a frat when he was younger. But if you're top 10% in business school, you get your Greek letters. There was a ceremony before the ceremony, and Max's parents hadn't flown in yet, so he took Angela Wang. He was wearing dress pants and a dress shirt, no tie. There were only 8 people at the ceremony, and everyone else was wearing suits and ties, and Max hadn't realised it was so important.

Max really emphasised not being afraid to ask for help and seek out help to get to where you want in school. Being proactive and productive.

Max has his series 7 and 66 which means he can sell securities - he used to work at Merill Lynch, then Goldmann Sachs, then a small family office, and now he has his real estate licence, he sold a property, and he got a (?) lending licence - he can now write mortgages! He can sell real estate and write loans. He speaks about finding a mentor at a young age, finding someone who finds someone who wants you to succeed (other than your parents). He speaks humbly about thinking he knew it all when he was younger, but he really didn't.

Max wants to have multiple companies, dabble in a little bit of everything, and be his own boss. The more he learns about each facet of real estate and finance the more he knows he wants to do it all, and create his own team and business out of it. One day he wants the Geico US National Championshps to be the MAX AARON US NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS. (HA!)

Max laments that UCCS didn't have a team "back in the day", because between him and Mirai and Jason they totally would have won.

Max's biggest advice is don't be afraid to fail and take chances, especially at a younger age. It's about learning more than anything.

The lady finally asks the question: what are you still doing in skating?

Max still teaches every morning at 6:00am before he goes to work. He still does seminars - with Alissa Czisny, with Gracie, with Ashley, he still does Zoom calls, he works with coaches in Boston, and does a weekly check-in with his students, where he talks about it's okay to not be okay, and how to talk about it when no-one wants to talk about certain things.

Is there anything you would change? - Maybe skating to the Lion King! (Laughs) Not that I regret that, maybe Footloose, that one wasn't really for me.

It sounds like Max has become, for others, the mentor he seeks for himself. :love:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
karne, thank you for transcribing!
My internet connection was not working so well, so I could not see/hear everything.

It was wonderful to see Max again. He is such a great guy.
(And it was sweet to see that lots of his skater/athlete friends were posting comments in the chat, such as Alex Johnson, Collin Brubaker, Angela Wang, Trisha Roohan (if I remember her last name correctly?), Jean-Luc Baker, I think Lindsay Weinstein(?). Max's OTC friend Kendall Wesenberg, a skeleton athlete. I forget who else. Quite a bit of affectionate teasing from some of them. Sounded as if Jean-Luc and Max roomed together at competitions more than once, which I either had forgotten or never knew.)

He never took his ACTs (?? what are these?) ...

ACT and SAT are the two standardized tests that often are/were used as part of the college admissions process in the U.S.
It has been eons since my college years, but I think there lately has been a growing trend for not as many schools to require ACT or SAT scores for college applications.
I definitely remember studying for the SAT, and hoping to get the best scores possible.

I think the acronyms originated as abbreviations for American College Test and Scholastic Aptitude Test.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
An excellent view of Max's banner at World Arena Ice Hall:

The photo is from the revamped version of the Broadmoor Skating Club site that is in the works.

ETA (on Sep 1):

The link above no longer works, but a new link is:

I had happened to notice today that this photo has become the big header for the home page of http://broadmoorskatingclub.com/. (Revamping of the site seems to be complete.)​

... Max still teaches every morning at 6:00am before he goes to work. He still does seminars - with Alissa Czisny, with Gracie, with Ashley, he still does Zoom calls, he works with coaches in Boston ...

Max at the moment is visiting Skating Club of Boston, not only to give in-person coaching to some of his figure skaters, but also ... to teach four sessions of Hockey Skills 🏒 classes (Jun 17 - 24). 🥳

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQO9QNgL5sN/ (Jun 17)
(which has throwback video of Max's exhibition skating at Boston Common's 2019 tree lighting)

Earlier this week, Max was in Minnesota to teach at a figure skating camp with Mirai (see second photo).

[Off topic, but Alex Johnson is teaching on different days of this camp.]​

(Just mentioning some bits from Max's ongoing schedule of seminars/travels. :)
I know it is nothing new for figure skaters to teach hockey players. I do not know whether perhaps this role is something new for Max? In any case, it's a bonus that Max would bring his own strong hockey background as well.)

ETA (on Jun 22):

Video of Max operating the (on-ice) harness for a young skater in Boston today:

ETA (on Oct 5):

Just noticed that Aug-Sep 2021 issue of Skating magazine (p. 55) has a mini-Q&A with Max (as a member of USFS Athletes Advisory Committee). The best part:

What's something you would have told yourself as a 13-year-old skater?
"Everyone's journey in this world is different. Keep your eyes on the path and enjoy what life gives you."​

(The link to the "current issue" will show Aug-Sep only until USFS updates its site with the subsequent issue.)​

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Holiday show alert:

Max will be a cast member in the 🎄 Tree Lighting ice show in Providence, Rhode Island.​
Fri Dec 3 at 5:00 pm Eastern time.​
Filmed by no less than On Ice Perspectives! [So perhaps(?) some video clips will be made available? :pray:]​

Hosted by Nancy Kerrigan.
Among other cast members: Sean Rabbitt, Heidi Munger, Gracie Gold.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh, Jordan must be so happy! I remember seeing him comment on instagram - I think on one of Max's posts, not long after his retirement? - that he wanted to shoot Max. He will finally get his wish!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Holiday show alert:

Max will be a cast member in the 🎄 Tree Lighting ice show in Providence, Rhode Island.
Fri Dec 3 at 5:00 pm Eastern time.
Filmed by no less than On Ice Perspectives! [So perhaps(?) some video clips will be made available? :pray:]

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVI1RkxLU2o/ (Oct 17)​

Hosted by Nancy Kerrigan.
Among other cast members: Sean Rabbitt, Heidi Munger, Gracie Gold.

More New England show alerts for next week:

[1] Thu Dec 2 at 5:00 pm
Max will return to the Boston Common Tree Lighting 🎄 as the special guest star of the Frog Pond Skating Spectacular.​

[2] Fri Dec 3 at 5:00 pm (mentioned in earlier post)
Max will be a cast member in the 🎄 Tree Lighting ice show in Providence, Rhode Island.​

[3] Sat Dec 4 from 6:00 to 8:00 pm
Max will be a cast member of Skating Club of Boston's "A Night of Stars" ice show, which is part of its special grand opening celebration.
Ticket purchase required ($40). Hosted by Scott Hamilton, the show is a benefit for his foundation.
(Yes, the new SCOB location has been in operation for over a year, but this event is billed as "special grand opening.")
Also among the cast: Mirai, Ashley Wagner, Castelli/Shnapir; current SCOB skaters Jimmy Ma, Max Naumov, Gabbie Izzo, Lu/Mitrofanov, Chan/Howe, Will Annis; Haydenettes; and more.​

ETA (on Dec 1):

Cancellation of the Dec 2 Frog Pond Skating Spectacular was announced today -- because the venue will not be ready in time.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm so keen for next weekend - surely we get some footage of Max skating, after all this time? I crave it.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
OMG, @clairecloutier interviewed Max at length for a wonderful new article!

Many thanks, Claire! Loved reading the whole thing -- with Max's thoughts on his past, present, and future!
Parts of it made me teary 😭, in a good way.

It is exciting to learn that Max is realizing his goal of working in NYC in finance.

But best of all, you really conveyed what a great person Max is -- as well as great champion, great team-mate, and great coach.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Local TV reporter's interview and mini-lesson with charming Max, live this morning on SCOB ice (3:35 in length, Dec 2):

(I'll forgive Boston 25 News for getting the year of Max's U.S. title wrong.)

(SCOB's novice ice dancers Effie Chen and Jack Liu are seen practicing in the background.
They are in the cast of the Providence show.
They placed sixth in U.S. Championship Series, and qualified for 2022 National High Performance Development Camp.)
ETA:
Effie and Jack will skate in SCOB's A Night of Stars show as well, per this post which includes a group photo with Max too:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CW_XbC8L-tw/ (Dec 2)​

ETA (on Dec 3):

Video snippet of Max's performance tonight at Providence show is linked below.
Thanks to Ice Tea Podcast, which tweeted a thread of clips from assorted skaters.
The 28-second clip of Max (at 7:24 pm Eastern Time) comes after the clip of Sean Rabbitt.

https://twitter.com/IceTeaPod/status/1466926314389180421?s=20 (Dec 3)​

ETA (on Dec 3):

Came across video from 2006 Nats of Max's Intermediate FS (with commentary) and post-competition interview. I think he would have been thirteen years old.

https://youtu.be/AWLC3zHmlo0 (3:30, uploaded Feb 2021)​

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Oh, Jordan must be so happy! I remember seeing him comment on instagram - I think on one of Max's posts, not long after his retirement? - that he wanted to shoot Max. He will finally get his wish!

Full video of the Providence show will premiere today -- two hours from now -- on On Ice Perspectives channel on YouTube.

Thank you, Jordan Cowan!!!

(The entire show, not only Max's performance. The always-amazing Jordan has provided time-stamps for everything.)

From USFS article re SCOB grand opening:

" ... Happy shrieks then welcomed famous performers onto the ice. Aaron skated a powerful, polished program to “Cry Me a River,” with two triple toe loops. ..."

https://www.usfigureskating.org/news/article/starry-celebration (published Dec 8)​

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Max looked great! In spectacular shape (as you would expect). Two 3Ts, one a little wonky, but still with plenty of height, speed, and room for another rotation if he should choose it. A scratch, plenty of speed and well-centered. He was smiling all the time and looked so wonderfully happy.

ice coverage

Record Breaker