Thread: Okay guys... how about that spiral???

Hybrid View

Okay guys... how about that spiral???

I am looking for some advice on stretches to help with spirals.... It seems practically impossible as a guy, not to mention an old one, but I've been told there are some things I can do to gain the needed flexibility??? I can extend my left high enough (not great but at least passable) but the right just doesn't seem to want to cooperate.

You need to work on your hip flexibility and strength. This said, a good Vinyasa yoga class can really help with this (especially forward fold, leg stretches straight up, over (open) and over (closed) and pidgeon poses).

Thank you! Last night I emailed some of our local dance studios to see if there were adult ballet classes available. I've always been interested/curious about ballet and assume that could also help with overall flexibility?

Yes, but, not for spirals specifically, though.

Yeah, wouldn't help me for the August test session either, since it wouldn't start until fall. :/

I am hopeful that learning ballet will help with balance and flexibility for the long-term, not to mention some desperately needed grace.

I'm a bit concerned because of a recent onset of some lower back pain, just above the buttocks on the right side. I started feeling it when practicing the Beyoncé Let's Move dance last month. I also began working on spirals at the same time and can't be sure which, if not both, would be culprit. I am hoping to find some stretches that may help keep me going, without a trip to the doctor's office. :/

Sitting Here on Blue Jay Way silver.blades's Avatar
    If the lower back pain is from practising the spirals, then it's because you're using your back to lift your leg instead of your glutes. The fix for this is to strengthen your glute muscles to take the strain off your lower back. Leg lifts straight back on your hands and knees can help with this. Just make sure to keep your hips square or you put stress on the hips. You should also stretch out your back and if it's spasming or swelling use a foam roller. In terms of the spiral flexibility, lunges are a good starting point if you can't get into a deep enough split to support yourself with your hands. Start with the back knee on the ground and work up to a full lunge with just the toe on the ground. Also stretch your quads and your hamstrings as they also have to stretch in a spiral position. Also keep in mind that to improve height on a spiral, you need flexibility and strength. I can do a full split, but my spiral is just over 90 degrees because I don't have the glute strength to lift my leg any higher without support.