Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast
Results 391 to 405 of 417

Thread: What would podium in Sochi be if Kostner, Asada, and Kim all go clean

  1. #391
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    8,964
    Every now and then, it occurs to me that it's too bad judges can't wait until everyone skates and then give out their marks. Nowadays with videos, judges and tech people could evaluate the heck out of everything and really grade the skaters.

    I know, I know--never going to happen. But since we're hypothesizing....

    On another subject, one factor we have to add to the possibilities are the temperaments of these three skaters. YuNa is known to be as cool as ice under pressure, and she's demonstrated that again and again. Mao's temperament to me seems to be gutsy: whether she's anxious or not, she just never gives up. We've all seen her rescue herself in the long program after she has problems in the short. It's a trait I admire tremendously in her.

    Carolina used to be the most easily shaken of the three in terms of confidence. But something has happened to her recently: she seems to be stronger and steadier. I just hope this approach continues into Sochi. Then she can show us what she's really capable of!

  2. #392
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    532
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Every now and then, it occurs to me that it's too bad judges can't wait until everyone skates and then give out their marks. Nowadays with videos, judges and tech people could evaluate the heck out of everything and really grade the skaters.

    I know, I know--never going to happen. But since we're hypothesizing....
    I thought it would be nice to have some system which can determine whether the skaters URed their jump or not-the way technical panels determine UR calls semmed quite objective to me.

  3. #393
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Every now and then, it occurs to me that it's too bad judges can't wait until everyone skates and then give out their marks. Nowadays with videos, judges and tech people could evaluate the heck out of everything and really grade the skaters.

    I know, I know--never going to happen. But since we're hypothesizing....
    I have noticed a clear obvious case of BAD judging. Yuna could've won 2011 worlds --- why? I'll explain later. But then again, who knows? Her thoughts and feelings would've been so so so different during that 2 years break she had... and she might not have won 2013 worlds in such an incredible fashion. Maybe we've to thank the bad judging in 2011 worlds! But.. 3 time world champion for Yuna? I dream over it, not possible now guys! :(.

    As for the bad judging at 2011 worlds... I would like to re-confirm with you guys. A 6-second spiral is or 2 3-second spirals are the requirement(s) for a spiral sequence then, right?

    This issue has been on my mind for a really long time (a year I think :P). Take a look at Miki's spiral in her 2011 worlds FS:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD_AtQv9ub4 ... her spiral sequence (starts at 2.52 when her leg is just above her hip... to 2.57 when she places her left leg back onto the ice) lasted only 5 seconds. Maybe 5.98372, but I'm pretty sure it's less than 6.

    Her 'ChSp1' score of 3.29 should have been voided.. and Yuna should've been the winner. But oh well :P.

  4. #394
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,670
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    On another subject, one factor we have to add to the possibilities are the temperaments of these three skaters. YuNa is known to be as cool as ice under pressure, and she's demonstrated that again and again. Mao's temperament to me seems to be gutsy: whether she's anxious or not, she just never gives up. We've all seen her rescue herself in the long program after she has problems in the short. It's a trait I admire tremendously in her.

    Carolina used to be the most easily shaken of the three in terms of confidence. But something has happened to her recently: she seems to be stronger and steadier. I just hope this approach continues into Sochi. Then she can show us what she's really capable of!
    Let's wish each of these 'wonder women' to skate lights out on two nights at their (probably) last Olympic Games! Then that's going to be a real 'feast' for every skating fans in the world, regardless whom we root for more/the most.
    We should rather celebrate together, instead of whining, right?

  5. #395
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    27,061
    Welcome, DarR. Thanks for joining us and thanks for the thoughtful analysis.

  6. #396
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Welcome, DarR. Thanks for joining us and thanks for the thoughtful analysis.
    Thanks for the welcome! And you're welcome!

  7. #397
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    27,061
    Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    Speaking about judges, here is a video comparing the number of crossovers in FS at WC (you will need an account to watch, take one second to open the one if you don't have any): http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm21174372 Yuna- 32, Caro-18, Kanako-16, Mao-7. Yet, the PCS score for transitions is Yuna- 8.89, Caro- 8.46, Mao- 8.21 . Excellent example of the currupted judging system...
    Here is how judges determine the program component scores. Skating Skills is first. The judges try to decide who skated well and who skated poorly.

    Transitions is next. The judges subtract .375 points from the SS score and that's the TR score.

    Now the other three, The judges copy down the skating skills score three times.

    Check it out and see if I am right of not.

    To me, trying to evaluate the "Transitions and Connecting Footwork" component separately instead of according to the formula given above, the hardest one to judge is Kostner. Many of her transitions and connecting movements involve "transitions" of her upper body, not just blade work, so I am not sure how the CoP gives credit to that.

  8. #398
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    8,964
    Quote Originally Posted by deedee1 View Post
    Let's wish each of these 'wonder women' to skate lights out on two nights at their (probably) last Olympic Games! Then that's going to be a real 'feast' for every skating fans in the world, regardless whom we root for more/the most.
    We should rather celebrate together, instead of whining, right?
    Right!

  9. #399
    Adiós Melon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    321
    Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    Russian ladies have much superior artisty than Yuna's robotic skating with same mimic no matter what music is playing. They also have good-quality jumps and some of them like Sotnikova are much better spinners.
    You can't compare Yuna's artistry with those babies. Spins I agree, but jumps? No. Yuna is far most consistent skater in ladies, plus Yuna is mentally strong. ( did you not see Russians in World 2013?)

    Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    You can use your own words in italics as my reply.
    HA! So you did run out of arguments now. You should've just stopped when you realized you were wrong, because it only made you look even more stupid

    P.S. you still didn't provide any "evidence" that backs your argument
    but that's ok, because I know you can't provide one knowing you're wrong. Plus, you're just going to whine and cry like Mao at 2010 Olympics. (I mean, you call Yuna robotic, why can't I say Mao is a cry baby )

  10. #400
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    793
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Here is how judges determine the program component scores. Skating Skills is first. The judges try to decide who skated well and who skated poorly.

    Transitions is next. The judges subtract .375 points from the SS score and that's the TR score.

    Now the other three, The judges copy down the skating skills score three times.

    Check it out and see if I am right of not.

    To me, trying to evaluate the "Transitions and Connecting Footwork" component separately instead of according to the formula given above, the hardest one to judge is Kostner. Many of her transitions and connecting movements involve "transitions" of her upper body, not just blade work, so I am not sure how the CoP gives credit to that.
    I didn't realize that video propaganda fueled by nationalistic bias was allowed to be posted on these boards.

  11. #401
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    434
    7 crossovers in a whole FS ?? Umbelievable!!

    Mao is a true living legend!!!

  12. #402
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Beyond Neverland
    Posts
    1,090
    Quote Originally Posted by cooper View Post
    @ this thread..i believe there are some sensible posts here.. and it's getting hilarious..

    so.. basically yuna who showed up at this year's Worlds after almost 2 year break basically won her 2nd major title with a BACK to BACK clean programs..while others crumble.. and then kicking some as* but haters are still trying to find a way to put a stain into it.. take some bitter pill..i know it's hard to swallow..move on.. you have a new season ahead.. because no matter what.. yuna won fair and square.. and haters gonna hate..
    As Confucious once said:
    "Too many sour grapes makes very poor whine"

    As James Bond once said:
    "Too many sour pickles makes very weak Matini, shaken or stirred"

    As a Yuna uber once said:
    "Haters are gonna hate. Move to the left. Mind the steps. It is a long way down into the abyss of never ending story of darkness and despair."


  13. #403
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,155
    Quote Originally Posted by jaylee View Post
    I didn't realize that video propaganda fueled by nationalistic bias was allowed to be posted on these boards.
    There's been "video propaganda fueled by nationalistic bias" posted on these boards? Where? I must have missed it - Sounds exciting!

  14. #404
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    8,964
    Quote Originally Posted by LRK View Post
    There's been "video propaganda fueled by nationalistic bias" posted on these boards? Where? I must have missed it - Sounds exciting!
    Maybe with an invisible link.

  15. #405
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    793
    Quote Originally Posted by LRK View Post
    There's been "video propaganda fueled by nationalistic bias" posted on these boards? Where? I must have missed it - Sounds exciting!
    Look up thread. It's the video cited as evidence to support the "corrupted judging system" and the accusation that Yu-Na was overscored.

    There are plenty of other examples out there on Youtube for those eager for more, as you evidently are.

    Of course, this is still the best propaganda video of all time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnsgeAv-3z8

    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Maybe with an invisible link.
    No, not with an invisible link. Just because you turn a blind eye to the shenanigans posted by those looking to spread their "Yu-Na is overscored, corrupt judging" message doesn't mean that it's not there.

Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •