The Return of Marina Anissina to Ice Dance | Page 7 | Golden Skate

The Return of Marina Anissina to Ice Dance

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It sounds like it says that Anissina either believers herself or wants others to belive that.

Didier Gailhueguet has, AFAIK, not announced it in the press, which is when it would be more believable to me.

Alli Anzell

Spectator
In ice dance the existence of rules has tended to confound. That is especially true today in my opinion. All the rules, clearly specified or not, will not matter when the methods of ENFORCING them are more deeply flawed than the supposed rules.

The current crop of referees, especially in ice dance, seem to have either very little knowledge or similarly little ability to enforce the music rules which are written.

Will be very interesting to see how a skater from an entirely different era can use a different experience base to interpret the rules. Even more interesting will be to see if any of the hapless referees are able to do anything which reflects enforcement of the current rules (as evidenced by either reward or, presumably, if there is a violation, deduction/penalty).

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
She IS serious. So cool. I love her! more than I did love her when she & Gwendel were competing back then. :cool: Yeah I understand wanting to come back/compete and making an actual comeback is two different things. But still COOL, isn't it? I always admired her will power and rooted for this French team...ever since I heard about the story btwn Anissina and Lovacheva...;)

What is this about Anissina and Lobacheva?

deedee1

Record Breaker
um...when Marina was the very very promising Jr ice dancer of Soviet/Russia by winning Jr World title twice, Lovacheva showed up one day and whispered something to Marina's partner, and the team suddenly broke up...Then Marina and her mother intently looked for a male ice dancer outside of Russia who was good enough for her, because Marina set her goal not only winning OGM/World title but also by beating Russia's No.1 team, namely her ex partner & Lovacheva...:slink: What Irina said to him was just a rumor, but I felt so sorry for Marina back then, you know.

KKonas

Medalist
Their former coach, Muriel Zazoui is skeptical about A/P successful return to competition for the OWG, “The rules have changed so much since 2002," she was quoted recently. "Coming back would require an enormous amount of work... I don’t think Marina appreciates just how very different the sport is now, how much more athletic it is now.” She wished them good luck, however, adding that the audiences would enjoy seeing them.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
um...when Marina was the very very promising Jr ice dancer of Soviet/Russia by winning Jr World title twice, Lovacheva showed up one day and whispered something to Marina's partner, and the team suddenly broke up...Then Marina and her mother intently looked for a male ice dancer outside of Russia who was good enough for her, because Marina set her goal not only winning OGM/World title but also by beating Russia's No.1 team, namely her ex partner & Lovacheva...:slink: What Irina said to him was just a rumor, but I felt so sorry for Marina back then, you know.

I thought Averbukh stopped skating with Anissina and started skating with Lobacheva because he was romantically interested in Lobacheva.. never heard this version of the story.. then I thought that Anissina wrote to Gwendal Peizerat and Viktor Kraatz and offered herself to either of them as a partner, because there were no suitable partners for her in Russia. Viktor said he never received the letter (fortunately, because I don't think he and Anissina were well-suited style-wise, at least not as well-suited as Anissina and Peizerat, and if Viktor had skated with Anissina, then he wouldn't have skated with Shae-Lynn).

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Their former coach, Muriel Zazoui is skeptical about A/P successful return to competition for the OWG, “The rules have changed so much since 2002," she was quoted recently. "Coming back would require an enormous amount of work... I don’t think Marina appreciates just how very different the sport is now, how much more athletic it is now.” She wished them good luck, however, adding that the audiences would enjoy seeing them.

Thank you for this tidbit. I hadn't seen it. I agree with their former coach... I would enjoy seeing them. Deep in my heart, I can't see how they could be competitive under current rules, but, yes, I definitely would enjoy seeing them again.

Which brings up an interesting point: Who will coach them in this comeback. Sounds like the former coach isn't interested.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Thank you for this tidbit. I hadn't seen it. I agree with their former coach... I would enjoy seeing them. Deep in my heart, I can't see how they could be competitive under current rules, but, yes, I definitely would enjoy seeing them again.

Which brings up an interesting point: Who will coach them in this comeback. Sounds like the former coach isn't interested.

Zhulin? Lol. Although he didn't sound interested either.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
The junior French team might surprise everyone. I would love it if someone cut A and P's hair. Would they be able to still skate lol????

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I can't help but feel sorry for Carron and Jones in all of this, as they had a chance at the second spot too, and have been around for awhile, yet they might get their chance taken away from them by the returning A&P. Not that I think A&P are undeserving but I just feel bad if Carron and Jones miss out. It's too bad France doesn't have three or four spots lol.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It's sadder that the US doesn't have 4 spots (D&W, C&B, S&S, Hubbells and Aldridge & Eaton)
that Canada doesn't have 4 spots (V&M, W&P, G&P, R&H, O&W)
and that Russia doesn't have 4 spots (B&S, I&K, R&T, Stepanova & Bukin, a raft of other outstanding juniors, and Pushkash & Guerreiro)
In fact, I am sadder that Australia's team, O'Brien & Merriman, has only a prayer of a spot that they have to get at Nebelhorn than that C&J might miss a spot. I wish Carron had stayed with Jost.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
It's sadder that the US doesn't have 4 spots (D&W, C&B, S&S, Hubbells and Aldridge & Eaton)

Canada has Paul/Islam as well :yes:.
And the U.S. has Kriengkrairut/Giuletti-Schmitt .... BTW, you meant Hubbell/Donohue of course ;).

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I did :slink: Although Kieffer Hubbell only just retired from his partnership with Olson, I think?

And I definitely should not have omitted P&I and K/G-S either.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I did :slink: Although Kieffer Hubbell only just retired from his partnership with Olson, I think?

Oops, I in turn had forgotten that Keiffer had a new partnership with Olson. (And don't know their current status :confused2:.)

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
and that Russia doesn't have 4 spots (B&S, I&K, R&T, Stepanova & Bukin, a raft of other outstanding juniors, and Pushkash & Guerreiro)
In fact, I am sadder that Australia's team, O'Brien & Merriman, has only a prayer of a spot that they have to get at Nebelhorn than that C&J might miss a spot. I wish Carron had stayed with Jost.

I know a good solution.. just let all countries have unlimited spots! I wish that would happen.. and I really hope O'Brien and Merriman can get a spot.

Didn't Mathieu Jost retire, or did Pernelle "dump" him as a partner for Lloyd Jones?