The Return of Marina Anissina to Ice Dance | Page 4 | Golden Skate

The Return of Marina Anissina to Ice Dance

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I know I'm in the minority here, but I think Ice Dance has actually IMPROVED under CoP, on the whole. As mentioned previously, there doesn't seem to be a lot of room for technically easier movement that packs a big punch. But looking at the programs in their entirety, dance has improved since CoP.

I think the singles... it's a more evenly mixed bag. The good and the bad balance each other out. I think CoP could work out with value adjustments and a common sense approach to GoE.

As far as pairs go, I think CoP has nearly destroyed the discipline. The pairs programs are just that bad, IMO.

BlackPack

Medalist
I know I'm in the minority here, but I think Ice Dance has actually IMPROVED under CoP, on the whole. As mentioned previously, there doesn't seem to be a lot of room for technically easier movement that packs a big punch. But looking at the programs in their entirety, dance has improved since CoP.

I think the singles... it's a more evenly mixed bag. The good and the bad balance each other out. I think CoP could work out with value adjustments and a common sense approach to GoE.

As far as pairs go, I think CoP has nearly destroyed the discipline. The pairs programs are just that bad, IMO.

I think ice dancing is extremely exciting right now because of near geniuses V&M and D&W, regardless of system. Pairs isn't that great because of the lack of talent. While S&S and V&T are very good, the level of their raw talent (in terms of basic skating) isn't like B&S in the late 90s and early 00s. Some of the pairs moves have morphed into ugly, weird positions, while interpretive choreography has suffered.

Labamba

Spectator
My views are that ice dance of today is very repetitive and predictable because the couples have to all implement the same elements at some point in their program's ,so you know what will be coming up . I love the speed across the ice .Not sure Anissina and Gwendal will fare too well.It's a bit like when T and D re en entered the Olympics 1994 after retiring. skating had changed over those 10 yrs .It became much faster,dynamic and they thought they would win,but compared to the Russians at that time ( Griskov and Platov and Usova and Zulin they had Noooo chance whatsoever.The skating looked dated and quite slow ,beautiful but it was far from perfect .Edges had deepened,moves were much more difficult of which they did not produce at this time in 1994 . Well, nice to see A and G back n the ice will be interesting . I am a Moir and Virtue fan , only wish they skated to better music it fails me every single time, but for skating beautiful quality .

I thought the most interesting comment in the Jennifer and David segment was about how you have to know how to "talk up" Yuna Kim if you want to get ahead on the show circuit. Evidently Johnny Weir is now in the dog house with Kim's team, and Stephane Lambiel has moved in as Yuna's "skating boyfriend." (Meanwhile Mao Asada has her Jeff Buttle.)

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I thought the most interesting comment in the Jennifer and David segment was about how you have to know how to "talk up" Yuna Kim if you want to get ahead on the show circuit. Evidently Johnny Weir is now in the dog house with Kim's team, and Stephane Lambiel has moved in as Yuna's "skating boyfriend." (Meanwhile Mao Asada has her Jeff Buttle.)

You're really wanting to walk on the wild side today, aren't you?:laugh:

96skiluvr

On the Ice
They were funny and snarky, but imagine people critiquing THEIR skating. Oh, the heartbreak.

They're well aware that their not among the world's best (not that miki ando deserved to be). We all make snarky comments here and critique people, why can't they do it? And everything they say is completely true.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh, NO, Mathman! Your not just the messenger, you said you thought it was INTERESTING.

You have dared to find interest... even amusement... in a mild "dis" of the Queen.

When they swoop, it's all on you!:laugh:

Don't worry, I've got your back, at least until I tire of the sporting aspect of it.

Sadly, that's not too long most of the time.

BlackPack

Medalist
They're well aware that their not among the world's best (not that miki ando deserved to be). We all make snarky comments here and critique people, why can't they do it? And everything they say is completely true.

Are you Dave/Jenny? They're basically copying what the boards are saying.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Oh, NO, Mathman! Your not just the messenger, you said you thought it was INTERESTING.

You have dared to find interest... even amusement... in a mild "dis" of the Queen.

When they swoop, it's all on you!:laugh:

Don't worry, I've got your back, at least until I tire of the sporting aspect of it.

Sadly, that's not too long most of the time.

That is so reassuring you having Mathman's back. I can sleep better.

Wasn't Dave a little a litlte bit "flamboyant", "catty" almost oh I don't think I can say it because it is so un pc - flaming? Just some of the odd comments about pride and all. ,

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Skater Boy: You picked the exact word... catty.

I've enjoyed their interviews with skaters and coaches, and I've learned a good deal about our sport.

But this was just a videotaped gossip session. It was like two little old ladies on a party line (now that shows my age if nothing else has!).

I didn't learn anything of real value in viewing that, although I will concede that it was mildly interesting to hear some about Yuna's show in Korea. I also thought their comments concerning Ashley's extensive travel schedule had some merit, once you stripped away the "dishy" aspect of it.

I may not be their target audience, since I'm not particularly interested in who serves as who's "beard", and who has who as a "skating boyfriend", and I'm naive and not particularly hip, so it took me a while to catch the "pride" references, which I also don't care about.

Not Dave and Jenny's best effort.

BlackPack

Medalist
Skater Boy: You picked the exact word... catty.

I've enjoyed their interviews with skaters and coaches, and I've learned a good deal about our sport.

But this was just a videotaped gossip session. It was like two little old ladies on a party line (now that shows my age if nothing else has!).

I didn't learn anything of real value in viewing that, although I will concede that it was mildly interesting to hear some about Yuna's show in Korea. I also thought their comments concerning Ashley's extensive travel schedule had some merit, once you stripped away the "dishy" aspect of it.

I may not be their target audience, since I'm not particularly interested in who serves as who's "beard", and who has who as a "skating boyfriend", and I'm naive and not particularly hip, so it took me a while to catch the "pride" references, which I also don't care about.

Not Dave and Jenny's best effort.

Agreed. I have gay friends, and yes, they can be very catty. I'm not saying all gay people are like that, but the subculture definitely promotes bitchin' gossip with as much backhanded snark as possible. At times amusing, but more than that is a tiresome overdose. They had some analytical insights such as Yuna's spiral's strength being her edging and not extension. When Dave and Jenny put in the effort, however, they are are awesome and wonderful. I was just so mesmerized and happy to see Frank Carroll's interview. They asked very good questions, and also Frank was a great interviewer - honest, no bull.

BlackPack

Medalist
my god they really are serious, seems they already started training and 41 year old Pierzat has agreed
they are a bit delusional though http://rsport.ru/figure_skating/20130626/670358981.html

Just about 7 months to go. As a spectator, I can just kick back and wait for 7 months, while they have to master 2 programs with twizzles, spins, lifts... just insane. And incidentally, there are lots of jokes about the Protopopovs coming back as well, but remember they also won gold in their late 30s, but the level of athleticism now asks for a lot more.