Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: The Return of Marina Anissina to Ice Dance

Custom Title
    She is 37 and return wound be hard and it's weird that no talk of a partner before she said anything! Pole she can't compete alone! Some are acting like 6.0 ice dance had no Athleticism though.

I can't believe.

Custom Title
    Apparently the French Fed is displeased with Carron/Jones and feels there's really no other current team good enough to represent France at the Olympics. But what about Papadakis/Cizeron, who won silver at JW? Why not give them a shot?

IMO asking Anissina/Peizerat to return seems outlandish to me---but so typical of the French fed.

On the Ice
    There is a significant void in French Ice Dance. Is it a coaching issue? Carron and Jones have been on the scene for a long time now and I think they were ranked lower than the Junior team that competed at French Nationals in 2012. I think that letting Delobel and Schoenfelder compete in 2010 leaving P/B at the #2 team was a big mistake IMO. It kept the other teams down.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    New interview (in Russian) with Anissina published today (Jun 18)
    Lol. She said that CoP makes it possible to teach bears to dance, the same way as they do it in the circus- by repeating the same stuff over and over again. You don't have to be special. It's one of the reason why the popularity of fs declining worldwide, she said. She sees her mission as to bring something new and creative. Yeah.

Banned
    Papadakis/Cizeron stayed juniors ?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    Papadakis/Cizeron stayed juniors ?
    No, they are competing as a senior next GP season. They are invited to one GP event-CoR, though I can see the TBA spot from TEB going to P/C.

Custom Title
    There isn't a lot of time for her to get into shape, learn two programs and the new rules and be ready for a Grand PRix even to get some exerience with COP. It is not like she and Gwendel have been performing lots together. Some of those holds and lifts would be deemed illegal probably too. We are a "GREEDY" bunch; she was lucky to get an OGM now let it go girl, save your money for your fake red hair dye. Seriously though she had her moment in the sun and this sounds like a publicity stunt or something. Some will say more power to her but it would serve her right if she gets a ridiculously low score because she didn't understand the new system. People have been skating for years learning the new system and to have her almost treat it with no regard almost warrants some karma. She was a great ice dancer; she had her turn. I will get ready for all the criticisms that she should do what she wants to do be free, be free to be the best again, people should decide their future etc. Still I just feel she had her "fortune" and she shouldn't push her luck.

Custom Title
    What Anissina doesn't seem to understand is that CoP ice dance scoring is very different from 6.0 scoring. You just can't go out there and look elegant, you have to do twizzles (which were never A/P's strong point) and dance spins, as well as intricate footwork with specific moves. A 6.0-type program skated under CoP rules would likely have nearly all Level-1 elements. Even if A/P got high PCS scores, they would finish way down in the standings, even lower than Carron/Jones would have placed.

A/P were one of my favorite teams in the 6.0 era, but their time has passed. I'd rather remember them as they were, not struggling with the dance requirements of a new era.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    What Anissina doesn't seem to understand is that CoP ice dance scoring is very different from 6.0 scoring. You just can't go out there and look elegant, you have to do twizzles (which were never A/P's strong point) and dance spins, as well as intricate footwork with specific moves. A 6.0-type program skated under CoP rules would likely have nearly all Level-1 elements. Even if A/P got high PCS scores, they would finish way down in the standings, even lower than Carron/Jones would have placed.

A/P were one of my favorite teams in the 6.0 era, but their time has passed. I'd rather remember them as they were, not struggling with the dance requirements of a new era.
    Exactly what I was getting at. THere was more story telling and you could get away with pretty level 1's now it is more technical with specific requirements unlike before.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    It would be amazing if they just ignore the FD rules and skate a 6.0 program at the Olympics. They'd only have to do enough CoP stuff in the SD to make into that section of the competition. Then, when everyone sees how superior their choreography and interpretation is, it will be clear as day what needs to be fixed with CoP.

Custom Title
    They still need to meet the minimums though.

Custom Title
    But all of you are talking as if she's lived under a rock since she competed. Don't you think she's stayed fairly current with all the changes? I'm not saying she can skate fantastically to them but I would be very surprised if she isn't aware of them. I can't imagine though - even with Peizerat - that she and a partner could even approach the unity needed to compete on an international level. That just takes months and months and months of practice and she doesn't have months and months.

Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    There isn't a lot of time for her to get into shape, learn two programs and the new rules and be ready for a Grand PRix even to get some exerience with COP. It is not like she and Gwendel have been performing lots together. Some of those holds and lifts would be deemed illegal probably too. We are a "GREEDY" bunch; she was lucky to get an OGM now let it go girl, save your money for your fake red hair dye. Seriously though she had her moment in the sun and this sounds like a publicity stunt or something. Some will say more power to her but it would serve her right if she gets a ridiculously low score because she didn't understand the new system. People have been skating for years learning the new system and to have her almost treat it with no regard almost warrants some karma. She was a great ice dancer; she had her turn. I will get ready for all the criticisms that she should do what she wants to do be free, be free to be the best again, people should decide their future etc. Still I just feel she had her "fortune" and she shouldn't push her luck.
    I thought this was a publicity joke too. I am very surprised that anyone, including Marina, would think she can do better than the current top 5. She barely won the OGM in 2002, beating L&A by one vote. She didn't even always win the Worlds during 6.0 when ice dancing was much simpler. A&P's twizzles and dance spins were painfully slow at the height of their youth and ability. She might have the Kerrs, who possibly have the fastest dance spins, and Lucinda Ruh teach her the spins, but it will not make them natural spinners in 3 months. She might excel in footwork and speed, as she always did, but can she do all the Kama Sutra lifts with multiple variations while her partner is in a cantilever position and others... at 37? The bar in ice dancing is so high right now. The toughest field in the history of ice dancing, because the top 5 or 6 teams have all produced programs far more difficult than the ones she performed.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post

Yes... precisely, well-said. Her comment that the bear can do tricks by endless repetition is the state of ice dancing now - How is skating from any era not practice and endless repetition? It is the same thing as when she competed - she practiced her programs repeatedly, except her programs' choreography was nowhere as tough as the choreography the current ice dancers are doing.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Harder choreography doesn't mean better choreography. Nor does it mean better performance or interpretation.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast