Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: The Return of Marina Anissina to Ice Dance

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    It's hard to judge speed from analyzing videotapes, but today's premier dance couples FLY around the ice while achieving very difficult footwork and choreography.

She was terrific, but near full speed throughout a routine is a lot to ask even from athletes in their prime.

This is not to mention the issue of levels from a technical aspect.

I'm ALMOST certain this is a joke.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    It would be amazing if they just ignore the FD rules and skate a 6.0 program at the Olympics. They'd only have to do enough CoP stuff in the SD to make into that section of the competition. Then, when everyone sees how superior their choreography and interpretation is, it will be clear as day what needs to be fixed with CoP.
    Harder choreography doesn't mean better choreography. Nor does it mean better performance or interpretation.
    Totally correct! People are acting like ice dance improved under COP!

Harder choreography doesn't mean better choreography. Nor does it mean better performance or interpretation.
    But harder choreography gets more points in today's system.

Custom Title
    She definitely should not ignore the rules because shemight get so few points. Yes choreo gets huge poitns but weknow there seems to be a relation with pcs and difficulty. AT last Chan tries the dificult stuff it is iffy if Anisnna and whoever she partners up would have the difficultylet alone the practice to be as one. She has not lived under a rock - how could she or that hair would be so ragedy anne red but she has not been skating at the level of the best and the magic, the consistency the knowing where your partner is takes time. EVen if Gwendel came back it takes time to get that rhythm of each other. They can only garner so many points for long hair lol.

Quote Originally Posted by noskates View Post
    But all of you are talking as if she's lived under a rock since she competed. Don't you think she's stayed fairly current with all the changes? I'm not saying she can skate fantastically to them but I would be very surprised if she isn't aware of them. I can't imagine though - even with Peizerat - that she and a partner could even approach the unity needed to compete on an international level. That just takes months and months and months of practice and she doesn't have months and months.
    Knowing the rules doesn't mean being able to perform what they require: I know perfectly what a set of twizzles is and how it (theoretically) works, but if I put my skates on, I can't do that. She's never done something like that, A/P twizzles when they competed where just sequences of double three turns, the same for the spin, she would have to learn how to spin fast, how to hold difficult positions etc. They're Olympic champions, yes, they're elite-level skaters but does she really think that she can learn such a high number of new things at 37 without having skated seriously for so long? This sounds more and more like a joke to me...

Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    She definitely should not ignore the rules because shemight get so few points. Yes choreo gets huge poitns but weknow there seems to be a relation with pcs and difficulty. AT last Chan tries the dificult stuff it is iffy if Anisnna and whoever she partners up would have the difficultylet alone the practice to be as one. She has not lived under a rock - how could she or that hair would be so ragedy anne red but she has not been skating at the level of the best and the magic, the consistency the knowing where your partner is takes time. EVen if Gwendel came back it takes time to get that rhythm of each other. They can only garner so many points for long hair lol.
    Hasn't Marina also been coaching? Of course, she is aware of COP system, but implementing it onto an actual program with content that requires top peak physical conditioning is another matter. Just speaking of it theoretically is hard enough, let alone ask a 37 year-old body to do it. Even in her 20s in her top form, the hardest programs she performed didn't require the same degree of difficulty as required now. It's one thing to be confident. It's another thing to be delusional and overconfident.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackPack View Post
    But harder choreography gets more points in today's system.
    Most points doesn't mean good or anything like that! Right now it is how much you can move nonstop and like Marina says repetition! Like do a lot of nonsense moves that have no relation to music or interpretation or artistic reflection! It's all non stop motion that seldom has anything to do with music that's being skated to!

Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    Most points doesn't mean good or anything like that! Right now it is how much you can move nonstop and like Marina says repetition! Like do a lot of nonsense moves that have no relation to music or interpretation or artistic reflection! It's all non stop motion that seldom has anything to do with music that's being skated to!
    What's pleasing to you is purely subjective. If an element is visibly more intricate, it gets points- Backed up with highest PCS, you win.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackPack View Post
    What's pleasing to you is purely subjective. If an element is visibly more intricate, it gets points- Backed up with highest PCS, you win.
    Thats the system now! It doesn't mean it's good at all or in any way! That is what marina annissina was talking about. What margaglio talks about! What so many legends in ice dance talk about! Visible intricacy in lifts or spins or steps now means ice dance by doesn't mean great ice dance! Like with t/d in 1984 that's the pinnacle of dance. And it's not cop!

Custom Title
    I really like it.

A/P's "Carmina Buerana" was amazing, but I think V/M or D/W would also create amazing art with the same music.

Custom Title
    ... I know I'm new to the party, but I actually like a lot of COP ice dance routines. Of the disciplines, ice dance seems to have suffered minimal artistic damage (although I have hated most of the SDs, especially the often painful blending of musical/dancing styles that don't match). *hides behind a wall*

Thats the system now! It doesn't mean it's good at all or in any way! That is what marina annissina was talking about. What margaglio talks about! What so many legends in ice dance talk about! Visible intricacy in lifts or spins or steps now means ice dance by doesn't mean great ice dance! Like with t/d in 1984 that's the pinnacle of dance. And it's not cop!
    Again, I'm not talking about aesthetics. I'm simply saying that Marina probably won't win anything or be ranked very well (at least in a placement that's not embarrassing for a former Olympic Champion) given the level of difficulty she has to master.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Additionally, she and her partner would have to learn the Finnstep, which didn't exist when she was competing. If she's been coaching, she probably knows the steps, but she's never competed it. It's hard to believe she is serious.

Custom Title
    Has anyone heard if Gwendal plans a return too? Or is she looking for a partner? Maybe Zhulin could come out of retirement. A miracle from Shalabiin? What about that Zueva's son the Gap model guy from Canada? Surely there is some old hollywood song for the freedance about a washed up actress who comes back for her final close up. What about a freedance to memories of the way Marina was before, misty sequinned memories of the way she was

Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    Has anyone heard if Gwendal plans a return too? Or is she looking for a partner? Maybe Zhulin could come out of retirement. A miracle from Shalabiin? What about that Zueva's son the Gap model guy from Canada? Surely there is some old hollywood song for the freedance about a washed up actress who comes back for her final close up. What about a freedance to memories of the way Marina was before, misty sequinned memories of the way she was
    You're just being facetious Zhulin is old and out of shape for competitive skating. He's never done the level of difficulty required now. And he's Russian. If Shabalin could continue to compete with that busted knee, he would have continued till this day. Plus he's Russian. They have to skate for France.

Fedor Andeev is not known for his discipline. He tried out everything - singles, ice dancing, etc. but never amounted to much. Hard to tell if he is talented at all. He's certainly nowhere near Marina's work ethic, and Marina will kill him. And he will have to skate for France. 5 years of residency in France for a citizenship.

You mean Marina skating to something like the Sunset Boulevard? Could work. I have a suspicion Marina may be too proud for the theme of the aging actress going for a last hurrah.

The best partner is still Gwendal. He's been commentating for French TV. If Marina pointed a gun at his head, he might do it.

I actually find it hard to believe that we are discussing this in a serious manner at all. It is absolute madness.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast