The Return of Marina Anissina to Ice Dance | Page 5 | Golden Skate

The Return of Marina Anissina to Ice Dance

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
some of the sentiments I agree with of the Bobsy twins Jenn and Davey. Marina and Gwendal's combeback almost belittles or mock how difficult it is to compete under anything not only COP. It is a dog eat dog world but their comeback will take away attention and sponsorship from others. yes, i t is a free world and that's life - everyone is out for themselves. I forgot Gwendal was a lot weaker on edges; this is a bigger problem under COP. They have to reach minimums too and qualify. Not to be rude by why is Didier so competitive; France is not really one of the top nations for skating - They have potential but not top tier in any event yet. I would love to see Raggedy Ann and Andy serving fries and burgers in Sochi and letting the kids play and have their turns :)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The trouble with A&P coming back is that Papadakis & Cizeron now have absolutely no chance to get that second Olympic spot for France. It won't bother me that Carron & Jones might be bypassed by A&P, but P&C (the world junior silver medalists) are really talented kids, and I'd love to see them do well in their senior debut season. I suppose, realistically, that P&C had no chance over C&J this season, but I had hopes.

Country
Russia
The trouble with A&P coming back is that Papadakis & Cizeron now have absolutely no chance to get that second Olympic spot for France. It won't bother me that Carron & Jones might be bypassed by A&P, but P&C (the world junior silver medalists) are really talented kids, and I'd love to see them do well in their senior debut season. I suppose, realistically, that P&C had no chance over C&J this season, but I had hopes.
P&C are not kids, they are 18 and their level is enough to compete as Seniors. I hope they will be at Olympics.

And I can't believe that A&P can be better than P&C - A&P are too old and did not compete for too long time.

Oh, NO, Mathman! Your not just the messenger, you said you thought it was INTERESTING.

You have dared to find interest... even amusement... in a mild "dis" of the Queen.

I look at it this way. What's the fun of being Queen if you can't say "off with their heads" once in a while? ;)

KKonas

Medalist

Apparently Didier is not too keen on C&J to even look to A&P for Sochi. Much as I enjoyed Anissina & Peizerat's career, I think they are a little unrealistic as to how tough the technical requirements have become over the last 10 years. I, too, would like to see more of P&C this season as I think they are very talented and great fun to watch.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I feel like them coming back is almost disrespectful to the teams and skaters who are busting their asses to get to Sochi while A/P treat this as a lark.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I feel like them coming back is almost disrespectful to the teams and skaters who are busting their asses to get to Sochi while A/P treat this as a lark.

Oh, there is no problem, in my opinion. Those teams just have to be better and beat A & P at the Nationals.... Surely they manage to do it, if A & P treat everything as a lark.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And if anyone believes that Papadakis/Cizeron have any chance to beat A/P at Nationals, that person is in severe denial. French Nationals results have a way of coming out the way the French Fed wants them to. The judges will give A/P hugely inflated PCS scores to overcome any technical deficiency.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Because they are Olympic champions, that's why! A team just turning senior isn't going to be allowed to pass them.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I can't imagine them getting better pcs than p/b! P/b are obvious and clearly number 1. And then if a/p do have technical deficiency the pcs isn't going to save them! Not over both a SD and fd.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They might not beat P/B, but they surely will beat the JW silver medalists.

KKonas

Medalist
Because they are Olympic champions, that's why! A team just turning senior isn't going to be allowed to pass them.

But what is the point? A/P still have to make the minimum score at an ISU competition - not an all French panel.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
A/P were lovely Oly champions - a bit lucky that Krylova never could return from injury but they should be happy with their accomplishments. They kind of are like acid reflex now coming back. They have some remanants of a yester meal that should have stayed down and if they come out we probably are going to taste their sourness and see them looking like a 1970's polyester pantsuit at a 2013 cosmo high tea event. It just shouldn't be.

BlackPack

Medalist
This is their state of skating at the moment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsLkghYTJfg

Their flamenco was considered a masterpiece in 2002, and it is glaringly telling that their quality has taken a nosedive. It seems they often perform it, but now it's visible that their unison is way off. So much to catch up.

They were lucky to get the gold in 2002. Their competition wasn't stellar, and Liberty was pretentious, nowhere near their Romeo & Juliet, Carmina Burana, and Man in the Iron Mask routines.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I cant see them serious coming back. What is the point. They are already Olympic Champions, 2 time Olympic medalists, World Champions. They would have no chance, the rules have changed too much, they are too old, they have been away from serious skating too long.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I had no idea they were two time Olympic medallists on top of the gold -really???? Anyways, they seem to have lost some of their presence, conviction and their edging is not as strong as the top current teams. Maybe they will do better when the focus on COP but I really wish they would give it up. Acid reflux coming up the second or third time ain't pretty lol.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I had no idea they were two time Olympic medallists on top of the gold -really???? Anyways, they seem to have lost some of their presence, conviction and their edging is not as strong as the top current teams. Maybe they will do better when the focus on COP but I really wish they would give it up. Acid reflux coming up the second or third time ain't pretty lol.

Yes here is their Olympic Gold performance at the 2002 Salt Lake City Olympics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlgTnsd5Dqo

This is their bronze medal performance at the 1998 Nagano Olympics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdsrJwv0zOw

The best case I could see for them coming back at this age after so long away, under a system they have never skated under before, is maybe contending for a bronze, and even that isnt worth a comeback for the dominant team of the 1999-2002 quadrennial who has already achieved everything. It could be alot worse than that also.

Remember when Mark Spitz trained for a comeback? I just looked him up, and he came back to swimming at the age of 41 to compete for the Barcelona Olympics, some 20 years later than his record-breaking year as a multi-OGM winner. He was some seconds slower than the qualifying time, though he did a pretty good job for a guy his age. He looked terrific, too. I can't begin to imagine how hard he had to train for his attempted return.

These two will come up with something impressive, I'm sure, but I doubt that in this crowded field they'll be anywhere near a medal either. Torvill and Dean came back with great success and won another Olympic medal, but they had been skating professionally as a couple (so with all that magical timing and chemistry intact) during the intervening years. I gather that this has not been true of Annissina/Piezerat?

This doesn't seem remotely possible.

BlackPack

Medalist
Remember when Mark Spitz trained for a comeback? I just looked him up, and he came back to swimming at the age of 41 to compete for the Barcelona Olympics, some 20 years later than his record-breaking year as a multi-OGM winner. He was some seconds slower than the qualifying time, though he did a pretty good job for a guy his age. He looked terrific, too. I can't begin to imagine how hard he had to train for his attempted return.

These two will come up with something impressive, I'm sure, but I doubt that in this crowded field they'll be anywhere near a medal either. Torvill and Dean came back with great success and won another Olympic medal, but they had been skating professionally as a couple (so with all that magical timing and chemistry intact) during the intervening years. I gather that this has not been true of Annissina/Piezerat?

This doesn't seem remotely possible.

T&D were consistently making masterpieces after their amateur career and were performing at a high level before 1994. In fact, some people argue that their professional programs were better, i.e. Encounter. The field in 1994 wasn't as deep and demanding as now. I actually thought they deserved the gold in 1994. Their OD was masterful and was easily 1st. G&P's only saving grace was their awesome speed that was skated to an easier program, while T&D's program, though hammy, had intricate handholds, evolving lifts, but unfortunately had a lift deemed illegal which got them a heavy deduction and cost them the gold.

Olympia has a great point - T&D skated consistently at the highest levels ever since they started skating in the 70s. They never stopped. A&P were not the geniuses T&D were. People actually thought T&D were the greatest ice dancers of all time even in 1994 and thought they had a legitimate chance to win again. A&P's comeback has been met with nothing but derision and mockery, with a few exceptions.