The Return of Marina Anissina to Ice Dance | Page 6 | Golden Skate

The Return of Marina Anissina to Ice Dance

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Anissina has said they were not concerned with placement---NOT looking to medal. But it doesn't seem fair to me that they should deny a young French team the Olympic experience, which would be valuable for 2018.

T&D were consistently making masterpieces after their amateur career and were performing at a high level before 1994. In fact, some people argue that their professional programs were better, i.e. Encounter. The field in 1994 wasn't as deep and demanding as now. I actually thought they deserved the gold in 1994. Their OD was masterful and was easily 1st. G&P's only saving grace was their awesome speed that was skated to an easier program, while T&D's program, though hammy, had intricate handholds, evolving lifts, but unfortunately had a lift deemed illegal which got them a heavy deduction and cost them the gold.

Olympia has a great point - T&D skated consistently at the highest levels ever since they started skating in the 70s. They never stopped. A&P were not the geniuses T&D were. People actually thought T&D were the greatest ice dancers of all time even in 1994 and thought they had a legitimate chance to win again. A&P's comeback has been met with nothing but derision and mockery, with a few exceptions.

I spent several days after the 1994 ice dance finals wondering what possessed Christopher Dean to add an obviously illegal lift (I think he flipped Torvill over his head) when they had won the rhumba and were in contention for the gold. Drat! But their reputation didn't need the burnish of an extra OGM. They've done just fine holding on to their spot as one of the greatest couples ever.

....Annissina and Piezerat were never on that level, though, and I don't know what it is they think they can add to French team competition. Ah, well, it's not in our hands.

BlackPack

Medalist
I spent several days after the 1994 ice dance finals wondering what possessed Christopher Dean to add an obviously illegal lift (I think he flipped Torvill over his head) when they had won the rhumba and were in contention for the gold. Drat! But their reputation didn't need the burnish of an extra OGM. They've done just fine holding on to their spot as one of the greatest couples ever.

....Annissina and Piezerat were never on that level, though, and I don't know what it is they think they can add to French team competition. Ah, well, it's not in our hands.

Yes, I too hope to learn more about what happened behind the scenes in 1994 to convince T&D that it was OK and necessary to do a lift that even the most adventurous pairs don't do. She hopped onto his back, jumped up, and then did a backflip over his head. In what ice dancing world was that ever legal? Out of the hundreds of creative, original, and dramatic moves T&D have done over the years, they had to choose that one? No one bothered to warn them? Did someone warn them and Chris was too stubborn to change it? That lift cost them the gold. It wasn't that G&P and U&Z were better. It wasn't that the judges were corrupt (at least in this case). The judges gave them the chance to win, especially placing them 1st for the OD. The judges were ready to give them a second gold if their FD held water. It did, but the illegal lift ruined everything. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there haven't been any ice dancers, except T&D, to come back to amateur competition, let alone being close to winning gold.

A&P say that they're skating for glory and joy, not medals. Seriously, if they're bored with their lives that lack meaning, find something else to do. They're only going to feel worse if they place 10th, and then they have to put themselves in denial and console themselves that the "process" was more important than results. I vaguely recall that T&D said they would choose not to come back if they knew how difficult it would be. Even A&P's best was never the best. The most realistic chance they have is embarrassing themselves with those glacially slow twizzles and spins.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Dean said it was illegal for a man to lift a woman over his shoulders but because the rules didn't say the woman couldn't vault over his shoulders by her own momentum the move was legal! Torvil was only assisted below the shoulder.

KKonas

Medalist
I was there at the OWG in 1994. T&D were upset over the judging at Euros, even though they won, so they totally restructured their FD. But what they did was retool it to become "the best of T&D" using many of their "tricks" from past programs throughout their career. Plus their CDs were slow with visible errors and even their FD was SLOW. Their OD was by far their best performance.

BlackPack

Medalist
Dean said it was illegal for a man to lift a woman over his shoulders but because the rules didn't say the woman couldn't vault over his shoulders by her own momentum the move was legal! Torvil was only assisted below the shoulder.

Dean's argument is too lawyerly and obscure, rendering it fallacious. It's a supposed loophole that he found, but it's no loophole at all to the naked eye. As long as she goes OVER his head and shoulders, that's illegal. It doesn't matter whether whether she was lifted or that she had to jump over him herself. It's far too acrobatic.

I was there at the OWG in 1994. T&D were upset over the judging at Euros, even though they won, so they totally restructured their FD. But what they did was retool it to become "the best of T&D" using many of their "tricks" from past programs throughout their career. Plus their CDs were slow with visible errors and even their FD was SLOW. Their OD was by far their best performance.

The ice dancers were at a disadvantage that year because the judges decided that they could only use music that people dance to. So the innovative programs such as Klimova/Ponomarenko's Bach program and Usova/Zhulin's Vivaldi program (if I recall correctly) done in 1992 were no longer a possibility. This is how Torvill and Dean ended up with Fred and Ginger (mind you, Fred Astaire is one of my favorite dancers ever) and Grishchuk/Platov performed to Rock Around the Clock. G/P adapted and made their speed work for them, but for Torvill and Dean it was a considerable step backward, and I'm sure they chafed at the limitations. By 1998 that rule was modified, but it was too late for Jayne and Chris. I'm sure if the music had been less stringently regulated, we would have seen something considerably more inventive from them.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I remember the European Championships that year. Usova/Zhulin won both CDs, with Torvill/Dean and Grishuk/Platov each gaining one 2nd and 3rd ordinal. T/D did, in fact, win the OD with that classic program. G/P won the FD. So, signals were sent across the Figure Skating World that the OWG would not be a slam dunk for T/D. At Euros, they had won only the OD in a very tight competition. They only won the OD at the Olympics, as well, so those results were somewhat consistent.

I never warmed to G/P; they just weren't my kind of ice dancers. But the fact remains that their win in the Olympics was not some out of the blue aberration.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Dean's argument is too lawyerly and obscure, rendering it fallacious. It's a supposed loophole that he found, but it's no loophole at all to the naked eye. As long as she goes OVER his head and shoulders, that's illegal. It doesn't matter whether whether she was lifted or that she had to jump over him herself. It's far too acrobatic.

Several phrases come to mind. "too cute by half" "splitting hairs" "violating the spirit..." etc! Lol!

KKonas

Medalist
The ice dancers were at a disadvantage that year because the judges decided that they could only use music that people dance to. So the innovative programs such as Klimova/Ponomarenko's Bach program and Usova/Zhulin's Vivaldi program (if I recall correctly) done in 1992 were no longer a possibility. This is how Torvill and Dean ended up with Fred and Ginger (mind you, Fred Astaire is one of my favorite dancers ever) and Grishchuk/Platov performed to Rock Around the Clock. G/P adapted and made their speed work for them, but for Torvill and Dean it was a considerable step backward, and I'm sure they chafed at the limitations. By 1998 that rule was modified, but it was too late for Jayne and Chris. I'm sure if the music had been less stringently regulated, we would have seen something considerably more inventive from them.

Perhaps, but everyone had the same problem. T&D were mostly upset that they lost the FD at Euros. I was at every practice and watched them totally rework their FD from what they performed at Euros. They spent more ice time trying to decide which "trick" to put where in the program.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
I agree that the T/D lift certainly appeared illegal, and to me was rightfully judged illegal -- but then, G/P danced apart for a length of time that was supposed to be penalized (more than 10 seconds, or some such -- I don't remember the specifics), but wasn't -- which was also hotly discussed in the media right after.

I loved T/D's dances at that Olys. And I thought G/P were fast but a titch sloppy-looking, just to me. But really, like TontoK, they just weren't dancers I enjoyed watching, so I was always a bit prone not to like their programs.

BlackPack

Medalist
I agree that the T/D lift certainly appeared illegal, and to me was rightfully judged illegal -- but then, G/P danced apart for a length of time that was supposed to be penalized (more than 10 seconds, or some such -- I don't remember the specifics), but wasn't -- which was also hotly discussed in the media right after.

I loved T/D's dances at that Olys. And I thought G/P were fast but a titch sloppy-looking, just to me. But really, like TontoK, they just weren't dancers I enjoyed watching, so I was always a bit prone not to like their programs.

I absolutely agree with everything you said. The judges should have been consistent with making deductions against the stupid rules they came up. I never really liked G&P also. On paper, they accomplished the most medals, yet very few of their programs could be considered masterpieces. Libertango and Memorial were their best pieces, but they certainly didn't impact the audience or ice dancing in a profound level.

yunabestever

Spectator
I can't imagine them getting better pcs than p/b! P/b are obvious and clearly number 1. And then if a/p do have technical deficiency the pcs isn't going to save them! Not over both a SD and fd.

Dream on. Why would the French fed. consider a second rate team who could never come close to winning a major title, and managed only 1 bronze at Worlds the last 3 years despite being supposed to finish 3rd over a super weak field (after the first two) each time as their number 1 over a dominant team who won all the major titles and is an Olympic Champion. Marina and Gwendal return in good shape the French will give them full backing as number 1.

yunabestever

Spectator

I love T&D as an ice dancing team but as people they are super arrogant and unlikeable. The fact they whine about judging over an event they WON is pathetic, and their arrogance proved their downfall at the Games. Why did people feel sorry for them anyway, they already had all the titles and did well to medal at the Games at almost 40. People should feel more sorry about poor Usova & Zhulin who are the best team to not win an Olympics or more than 1 Worlds, and who narrowly lost in their last chance after so many close calls against them in their career, and to the Russian number 2 who they had always beaten before.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Sorry for interrupting the discussion. Since I don't have enough time to read the whole thread, let me allow to ask you a question: Is it true that Marina IS serious on her comeback? Really? Or just a rumor...

gmyers

Record Breaker
Dream on. Why would the French fed. consider a second rate team who could never come close to winning a major title, and managed only 1 bronze at Worlds the last 3 years despite being supposed to finish 3rd over a super weak field (after the first two) each time as their number 1 over a dominant team who won all the major titles and is an Olympic Champion. Marina and Gwendal return in good shape the French will give them full backing as number 1.

I think p/b would get first place scores because they do have more experience with cop. A/p are Olympic champions by it was 2002! P/b just have more of a current relationship with all the relevant people now too. That matters too.

Sorry for interrupting the discussion. Since I don't have enough time to read the whole thread, let me allow to ask you a question: Is it true that Marina IS serious on her comeback? Really? Or just a rumor...

All that exist are her statements of wanting to compete in Russia and talking with Gwendel and her other statements. She could be serious but it Might never get off the ground and if it doesn't get off the ground that doesn't mean she wasn't serious.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
deedee1, it certainly sounds serious, but I have have to see them competing before I believe it.

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130617&content_id=50885566&vkey=ice_news

There's both the original announcement & an update.
And this

Anissina said she and Dzhigurda met with Didier Gailhaguet, the president of the French Ice Sports Federation, last winter to discuss the possibility of her and Peizerat once again competing. She said the team has an offer from the French federation and the French ministry of sports to participate in the 2014 Olympic Winter Games.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Thank you so much, gmyers and doris! :)

All that exist are her statements of wanting to compete in Russia and talking with Gwendel and her other statements. She could be serious but it Might never get off the ground and if it doesn't get off the ground that doesn't mean she wasn't serious.

She IS serious. So cool. I love her! more than I did love her when she & Gwendel were competing back then. :cool: Yeah I understand wanting to come back/compete and making an actual comeback is two different things. But still COOL, isn't it? I always admired her will power and rooted for this French team...ever since I heard about the story btwn Anissina and Lovacheva...;)

doris pulaski said:
She said the team has an offer from the French federation and the French ministry of sports to participate in the 2014 Olympic Winter Games.

Does this mean that their spot is already guaranteed in advance?