Toyota Sports Centre happenings (from The Skating Lesson) | Golden Skate

Toyota Sports Centre happenings (from The Skating Lesson)

ffionhanathomas

On the Ice
The Skating Lesson have a 'secret source' at Toyota, and they've got some very interesting things on their twitter about it.

E.g:

https://twitter.com/SkatingLesson/status/347022621570916352
https://twitter.com/SkatingLesson/status/347022405593624576
https://twitter.com/SkatingLesson/status/347022505598398464

Most interesting thing for me is Mirai's triple axel. Wow, I guess it would give her an edge! Would be very interesting if she included it this season. Has she ever tried it before?

(https://twitter.com/SkatingLesson)

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Most interesting thing for me is Mirai's triple axel. Wow, I guess it would give her an edge! Would be very interesting if she included it this season. Has she ever tried it before?

(https://twitter.com/SkatingLesson)

No she hasn't and, as promising as it may sound, I think Mirai's focus should be on rotating her basic triples before trying to do something as ambitious as landing a triple axel. Then again, we always hear of skaters practicing triple axels (Michelle was rumored to have been practicing them back in the day as well) but you can count on one hand the number of ladies who have actually attempted and landed a credited triple axel in competition.

Thanks for the update :)

jaylee

Medalist
No she hasn't and, as promising as it may sound, I think Mirai's focus should be on rotating her basic triples before trying to do something as ambitious as landing a triple axel. Then again, we always hear of skaters practicing triple axels (Michelle was rumored to have been practicing them back in the day as well) but you can count on one hand the number of ladies who have actually attempted and landed a credited triple axel in competition.

Thanks for the update :)

Agree with that. The 3A can't really help you if you have as many UR issues as Mirai does.

Interesting about Evan landing quad toes and triple axels. In the TSL interview with Frank, he mentioned that Evan had all of the triples except the axel back at that time, so Evan is clearly continuing to improve.

ForeverFish

Medalist
Oof. I'm all for a revamped Mirai, but this close to the Olympics, she NEEDS to land her other triples clean first. Not even Mao receives full credit on 3A's anymore, and she was the only lady landing them in competition a few years ago.

Of course, Mirai could be training like Gracie, who practices 3A's without the intent of using them in competition. It's far too risky of a jump for a lady.

Good to hear about Evan. Hopefully he looks good at the US Int'l Classic in 3 months.

samson

Medalist
Aaaaaaaaah the summer season.

If Mirai is at the Toyota Center does that mean she's back working with Frank? Did I miss an announcement about this?

ffionhanathomas

On the Ice
Nope, according to The Skating Lesson she was just there for the day.

Very true, I guess she should ensure she's rotating the other triples first. Gracie Gold has tried them in practice, and Alissa Czisny was trying them pre 2006 at least as I saw it in an 'Ice Diaries' episode on Youtube - I'll see if I can find the link. Lots do seem to try the triple axel!

EDIT:
Found it, from about 2:50 you can see Czisny trying some triple axels.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEm7ZPQBHVk

leoncorazon

Skating on through
On the Ice
Country
United-States
Wow...didn't even look that hard for Czisny...wish she didn't have those competition nerves that seem to wreak havoc on her jumps...

PS - I actually met someone who watched Michelle practicing triple axels in a harness...she was coming up in the Tonya days and probably thought that she would eventually need it but she didn't...

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Hm. I always think it's a shame that the ladies don't "need" a triple Axel.

Isn't this the fifty-billionth coaching/location change for Adam? Or am I confusing him with Jeremy?

Also, Lysacek lands quad toe and triple Axel, banner headline, whoop-de-doo. 1. He has to get them in competition first 2. Aren't we glad he's finally met the minimum requirements to come top 10?

The news about Adam still failing to land triple Axels, let alone quads suggests that he will not be part of the fight for Sochi spots.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Hm. I always think it's a shame that the ladies don't "need" a triple Axel.

Isn't this the fifty-billionth coaching/location change for Adam? Or am I confusing him with Jeremy?

Also, Lysacek lands quad toe and triple Axel, banner headline, whoop-de-doo. 1. He has to get them in competition first 2. Aren't we glad he's finally met the minimum requirements to come top 10?

The news about Adam still failing to land triple Axels, let alone quads suggests that he will not be part of the fight for Sochi spots.

Jeremy didn't play musical coaches so much. Tom Z for a long time and then Yuka and Jason for the past few years. Adam, yes has had many coaching changes over the past few years - Morozov, Orser, Yuka and Jason, now Artunyan (and maybe Carroll as well?). We'll see about the jumps, I agree it doesn't sound good but his 3a was looking a lot better last season for the most part so this trouble could be temporary. As for the quad, he should stick to trying one type, it seems like he's always switching between training 4lz, 4s, and 4t and idk if that's a good call considering he hasn't really "mastered" any of them yet.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Yes, she has: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hdBcickrUg; it was just an attempt, absolutely << (those were barely a bit more than 2 1/2 revolution), but it's not new for her. I'm sure that she's not focusing on it, though, it's just for practice, just as Gracie, she knows that she needs to fix the "normal" triples before risking a 3A, I remember that, in her TSL interview, Tiffany Chin also said that she was landing 3As and 3Lzs in practice but never thought about attempting them in big competitions...
Good news about Evan! If he can land one quad and two 3As (as Frank said in his TSL interview), he has all he needs to be in the top10; after all, Takahashi won silver at Worlds in 2012 with only one quad! Now, probably all the medal contenders will be attempting at least a couple of quads, but if Evan skates clean and receives high PCS, he could actually score 165+ I think...

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Agree with that. The 3A can't really help you if you have as many UR issues as Mirai does.

Interesting about Evan landing quad toes and triple axels. In the TSL interview with Frank, he mentioned that Evan had all of the triples except the axel back at that time, so Evan is clearly continuing to improve.

This is nonsense. He can't possibly be doing these jumps.

It is impossible. He's not serious about this comeback. I know because I read it here on Goldenskate.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
You know Johnny Weir was landing quads and triple axels all over the place last summer too when he was training for his "comeback"...then he showed up in competition and was nowhere close to being in Olympic-team contention shape. So I'll believe this when I see it with Evan. He is just so tall...the quad is going to be hard for him for that reason alone. Look at the podium at Worlds this season...Chan, Ten, and Fernandez are little shrimps in comparison to Lysacek..

skatefan12

Rinkside
You know Johnny Weir was landing quads and triple axels all over the place last summer too when he was training for his "comeback"...then he showed up in competition and was nowhere close to being in Olympic-team contention shape. So I'll believe this when I see it with Evan. He is just so tall...the quad is going to be hard for him for that reason alone. Look at the podium at Worlds this season...Chan, Ten, and Fernandez are little shrimps in comparison to Lysacek..

Evan has always been taller than his competitors. Its not a new development. He's done the jumps with that height for years...including the quad when he was first learning and landing it.

Second, there are a lot of great things about Johnny's skating but nerves of steel was never one of them. It didn't surprise me when he struggled because he's struggled with coping under pressure in the past. Evan, on the other hand, does seem to have mastered the focus and delivering under pressure that is needed in figure skating so I don't think there will be such a disconnect between the practice and competition form.