Japan Open 2013 2014 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Japan Open 2013 2014

deedee1

Record Breaker
Are you sure Slutskaya is assigned to Japan Open and NOT Medal Winners Open?

Seems YES; Irina will participate in Japan Open. I don't think there was any announcement on Medal Winners Open this year...Idk whether they've decided not to have MWO this year for some reason, e.g. due to the Olympic year, or they are not just interested in that competition anymore...Sigh. :disapp: Actually, last year's MWO did not get much audience, even though very famous OGM-winning skaters Yagudin and Shizuka did participate. So they've concluded 'no business chance' in $$$-wise with this particular competition, maybe? :slink:

gmyers

Record Breaker
Her jumps at the mwo showed that slutskaya still had it!! LP will be different of course but could not believe the jumps slutskaya still had!!

NMURA

Medalist
Orser is going with Hanyu, not Fernandez....
is what I intended to say.

The second European lady is probably Sotnikova
the highest finisher at worlds and connections through Tarasova.
Kostner never participated JO. She must have declined when she had an offer before.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Slutskaya in J.O. :unsure:
well her jumps are better than Sotnikovas for sure
I hope Julia gets the second spot not Sotnikova

NMURA

Medalist
I'm sure Julia Lipnitskaya is not a type of skater who gets popularity in Japan. Among Russians, Slutskaya and Leonova are the most popular in Japan, because of their amiable image and smiles. Lipnitskaya has no facial expression and moves like a robot. Sotnikova could be popular to the Japanese audiences.

You can see who is popular in Japan by looking through who gets frequent invites to NHK trophy.

ForeverFish

Medalist
Adelina seems to be quite popular in Japan; she's skated in The Ice for the past two years and has a sizable following in that country. It would make sense to send her, but I also understand how Julia would be a good choice, as she hasn't competed internationally as a senior since TEB last year.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I'm sure Julia Lipnitskaya is not a type of skater who gets popularity in Japan. Among Russians, Slutskaya and Leonova are the most popular in Japan, because of their amiable image and smiles. Lipnitskaya has no facial expression and moves like a robot. Sotnikova could be popular to the Japanese audiences.

You can see who is popular in Japan by looking through who gets frequent invites to NHK trophy.

I dont know about Japan but I've seen japanese videos featuring Julia
in Russia alone, Julia is the most popular she is most followed by children
and very much liked in vk, has the most followers of any Russian skater :)

and why not ? Julia needs to get more international experience
and she is better than single flipping Sotnikova

babayaga

On the Ice
Adelina seems to be quite popular in Japan; she's skated in The Ice for the past two years and has a sizable following in that country. It would make sense to send her, but I also understand how Julia would be a good choice, as she hasn't competed internationally as a senior since TEB last year.
I think Adelina is invited to The Ice mostly because Mao has good relationship with TAT. Same reason why she also invited Kovtun this year.

lcd

Match Penalty
Will there be a Medal Winner's Open with the veteran champions again?

NMURA

Medalist
In Japan, popularity belongs to those skaters with
friendly personality (at least, such images)
balletic moves (gymnast types are not well-received)
jumping genius (in case of ladies, 3A or 3-3Lo are favored)

It's my personal understanding but not that far off the mark.

SaraM

Final Flight
Country
Norway
Japan Open 2013-2014

Japan Open is on saturday but i cant find any info anywhere, please post any infos on live streams YT videos and the schedule of the competition in this thread! :)

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Japan Open is on saturday but i cant find any info anywhere, please post any infos on live streams YT videos and the schedule of the competition in this thread! :)

Just saw a photo on Facebook showing the line-up for the Japan Open.

Team Japan: Asada, Murakami, Takahashi, Kozuka

Team America: Wagner, Rochette, Buttle, Reynolds

Team Europe: Sotnikova, Slutskaya, Fernandez, Brezina

With a line-up like that, I hope we can get to see at least some of it somewhere!!!

I for one REALLY want to see Irina in action again. She was the first skater that I supported, and I would love to see what she can do up against the "modern-day" skaters.

Something tells me she will put up a good fight! ;) :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

SaraM

Final Flight
Country
Norway
What a loaded skating weekend comming up.. finlandia, ondrej nepela, JGP in czech and japan open all in the same weekend!

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
What a loaded skating weekend comming up.. finlandia, ondrej nepela, JGP in czech and japan open all in the same weekend!

I know. I wish it was spread out a bit more. It's hard to know what to pay attention to.