Japan Open 2013 2014 | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Japan Open 2013 2014

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
IleK said:
I was talking about ladies, not pairs. I can not compair a pairs score with a ladies score. And as I was saying it is the most inflated score I 've ever seen. Give me another one. I know what Mao can do and seeing the protocol nothing explains the score. I am no enemy of Mao or of any skater ever, I admire but her country always make me like her just a little less because every time she skates in Japan this is what happens. Sometimes I think that she doesn't like it either.

But let's make peace, not war. It's not about Mao. Adelina skating in Russia or Ashley at SA will receive and did receive inflated scores, just not that inflated. And now, while I am trying to watch both Finlandia and ON, I am very nervous because I can't find any programs from Japan Open and I really can't wait anymore. I would like to see at least the ladies at JO until the ladies SP starts at Finlandia. And I am also thinking about the hour gymnastics starts tonight. It is like these guys are trying to "poison" us with figure skating! What is too much it's too much!

I didn't mean to make war, so I apologize if I sounded like that. It just irks me how someone can say a score is inflated when they didn't even see the performance yet. When you wrote your first comment, I think the protocols weren't even up, or were they? Again, yes, her score is higher than it would have been with that same skate in an official ISU comp in another country. But what dou you think she should have received if that was the highest inflated score ever? 120, or something? Given how she scored 129+ at GPF 12 and 134+ worlds 13, I'm pretty sure this would have been around 130 too...

Mirunna said:
It's not much, but it's something, here you can see Daisuke: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvLwXd4ZSiM
I am not sure how this performance can help you with the nerves though, it certainly made mine worse. Those jumps!!

This might sound like a lame excuse, but it seems Dai had cought a cold and wasn't in his best shape here (I can't give you a source for it though, so it's not really official or anything). Practice reports from earlier didn't sound so bad, and Dai was never really consistent. So maybe we should all wait until the GP before being to worried? Dai's a figther, I still strongly believe he'll manage to be back in full kicking-behinds-fashion :)

IleK

On the Ice
Thanks, Miruna! I'll try to watch it until the ladies SP starts in Finlandia or after the first group. I've already seen Dai, it is sad but I think he can get better. I would change that shirt, he doens't look good in light colours. It makes him look pale. And the music is a little slow from I what I was used to see him skate. But I'll have to watch it again more carefully.

Li'Kitsu, I didn't know what kind of a fan you are:). I understand what you say, I don't want to insist on this subject because I know that "inflation" is a war subject and sometimes the discussion tends to become personal. But I see it it not your case:). Anyway, I think every figure skating fan had to year at least once that his favorite skater's score was inflated. It is also my case with Kiira.
And I was talking not about the official protocol, you are right, but the post about what jumps she did. And i could imagine how good she was in steps and spins.

Mike, yes, it already happened in Russia and USA. Wait to see in Sochi, I am afraid to even think about it, but being the Olympics I expect them to be decent. Japan though tends to be something a little bit different because in this country figure skating is a religion and Mao and Dai are their gods. Yes, JO reminded me of NHK Trophy, too.

mikeko666

Final Flight
Mike, yes, it already happened in Russia and USA. Wait to see in Sochi, I am afraid to even think about it, but being the Olympics I expect them to be decent. Japan though tends to be something a little bit different because in this country figure skating is a religion and Mao and Dai are their gods. Yes, JO reminded me of NHK Trophy, too.

Well, I am sure Asada will win GPF and Worlds no matter what, even with only three clean triples in FS, because they are going to be held in Japan and Kim will not participate either of them.

lcd

Match Penalty
Thought Rochette's performance was surprisingly strong. Enjoyed it much more than her eligible programs. She seemed to tire at the end and could not quite keep up with the intensity of the music but she remained expressive. Thought her overall score above Wagner was appropriate, especially with regard to PCS.

Wagner skated solidly but thought in many instances her actual level of presentation and character of her moves could not meet the high intensity level of her music. This was particularly notable in the footwork sequence, where if you turned off the sound it looked as though she could have been skating to anything while the music was going all-out from a dramatic standpoint. Probably this was just pacing herself, and it being early in the season. But the sharp drop off in performance level was kind of jarring.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Thought Rochette's performance was surprisingly strong. Enjoyed it much more than her eligible programs. She seemed to tire at the end and could not quite keep up with the intensity of the music but she remained expressive. Thought her overall score above Wagner was appropriate, especially with regard to PCS.

Wagner skated solidly but thought in many instances her actual level of presentation and character of her moves could not meet the high intensity level of her music. This was particularly notable in the footwork sequence, where if you turned off the sound it looked as though she could have been skating to anything while the music was going all-out from a dramatic standpoint. Probably this was just pacing herself, and it being early in the season. But the sharp drop off in performance level was kind of jarring.

I think Ashley's focus was getting that 3-3 out there. She's been talking all summer (and at the recent media summit) that she needed to get the 3-3 out there in competition and she did. Even though it was UR, I thought it was very close and she could have it all the way around in due time.

I agree the performance was a bit flat compared to what I've seen from her recently, but you're right it's early in the season and I expect that it will improve over the next few month.

Kelly

On the Ice
Mao skated pretty good in the beginning of the season with only one underrotated jump. I wish Mao will be successful to achieve her 8-triple program in the GPF, Olympics and Worlds.

shine

Record Breaker
Protocols are in!

Ladies : http://www.jsfresults.com/InterNational/2013-2014/jo/data0205.pdf

Mens: http://www.jsfresults.com/InterNational/2013-2014/jo/data0105.pdf

Asada only got a UR call on her 3S and an edge call on her flutz. I was pleasantly surprised at the arrangement of Wagner's Romeo and Juliet actually, and despite the failure of her jumps, Irina Slutskaya was as artistic as ever. I'd rather send her to Sochi than Ando. OR BETTER YET, SEND JOANNIE ROCHETTE INSTEAD OF THAT KAETLYN!!!
I want both Rochette and Osmond on the team. That would be a dream team for Canada.

cooper

Medalist
you know.. if joannie is interested to compete again and put her mind into it.. she has the chance to be one of the contenders for the podium.. unfortunately she's not..

nipman

On the Ice
Well, if Rochette participate in the Team Trophy, she surely will get an OGM with team Canada. Is it not interesting enough?

Moment

Final Flight
Mao's spin level features

CCoSp4:
backwards entrance
Y-spin (US)
(change of foot)
broken-leg (SS)
pancake (SB)

FCSp4:
toe Arabian (difficult flying entrance)
layover camel (CU) - imperfect position of shoulder line
half-Biellmann position (CF) with change of edge, 2 revs. each

FCCoSp4:
illusion (NBP) of at least 3 revs.
catch-foot cannonball (SF) - took a while to reach the correct sit position
(change of foot)
haircutter (UL)
Biellmann (UB)

deedee1

Record Breaker
Not reading every posts here, my impressions after watching performances at this JO

-Michal: Can someone explain to me what the difference is, in choreo-wise/program-wise, between his old 'Untouchable' and this 'Sherlock Holmes', please??? :sarcasm: Michal does not seem interested in selling programs, going out of his comfort zone, showing the new look of his skating or stretch his music range at all (at least to me, having seen him since he moved up seniors...Michal in his first season on senior circuit looked SOOOooo promising.)

-Jeff: After seeing Michal, Jeff's smooth skating and his music interpretation was heavenly-like! Oh, how I wish he would have skated THIS program perfectly at Torino 2006! though I can understand why his team decided not to use this music due to its composer. Such a very special skater he still is. :yes:

-Taka: Good to know his injury healed completely and now he's got back on track. His skating got powerful compared to last season, I thought. But a bit disappoined because I didn't see improvement from him in interpretating music. And change your costume, PLEASE!!!, Taka, you are not skating to Startrek...:disapp: Wished he would have had a brand-new free.

-Javier: Wow 3 quads at this early in the season!!! :rock: Personally I would prefer last season's Chaplin a lot. With this program, I don't think he can ever beat Patrick on PCS, but Javi is clearly capable of 'outjump' Patrick.

-Jeremy: Love this program. But he needs to land at least one quad to be on US team at Sochi.

-Dai: Too many music cuts and too many changes in tempo, so that he clearly struggled putting all jumps into place, especially in the second half...3 cuts would be preferred, or 4 at maximum, but not five, considering his jump consistency. His step sequence to 'Come Together' is, what can I say? very Dai-esque, though. :cool:

gmyers

Record Breaker
It's so Baffling why sotnikova does two flips. I mean nothing is more baffling in current skating.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Rude. And also, an obvious answer. Because her lutz gets edge calls and she wants to maintain high jump content, so she repeats her flip and loop instead of repeating her salchow. :rolleye:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Well, if Rochette participate in the Team Trophy, she surely will get an OGM with team Canada. Is it not interesting enough?

I would love that! This FS could win Canadians and would have placed 6th at this past Worlds... 6 triples! Her 3t-3s in particular was so strong! If she gets her lutz back, and maintains this consistency then she could very well threaten for a medal.