JSF announces criteria on selections for 2013-14 season | Golden Skate

JSF announces criteria on selections for 2013-14 season

deedee1

Record Breaker
Source: http://skatingjapan.or.jp/image_data/fck/file/2013/130619_FS_senkokijun.pdf

JSF has announced Criteria for sending Japanese skaters to international competitions, both Junior and Senior, for the new season today. Sorry that I do not have time to do FULL translattions, but some excerpts for you! :)

<Winter Olympic Games>
Singles: max. 3 for both Ladies and Mens
1. Champion at 2013 Nationals (in Tokyo, December 2013)
2. JSF will choose one from those: either a) 2nd place at Nats, b) 3rd place at Nats, or c) the highest podium finisher (among Japanese skaters) at GPF
3. JSF will choose one from: either a) those who are not selected in 2. <<<sorry, deedee's wrong translation!!! ->do not meet the above requirements>>>, b) 3 highest ranked skaters on 'ISU World Rankings' at the time of J-Nats (end December), or c) 3 highest ranked skaters on 'ISU Best Season Score' list

Team Event
-Short Program: the skater who is to hold the highest ISU Best Season Score of Short Program at the time of J-Nats
-Free Skate: the skater who is to hold the highest ISU Best Season Score of Free Skate at the time of J-Nats
-Remarks: When the same skater is to hold the above Best Scores for BOTH of Short and Free, then Free will go to the skater who holds 2nd highest Best Season Score of Free.

Any thoughts? :popcorn:

deedee1

Record Breaker
3. JSF will choose one from: either a) those who do not meet the above requirements, b) 3 highest ranked skaters on 'ISU World Rankings' at the time of J-Nats (end December), or c) 3 highest ranked skaters on 'ISU Best Season Score' list

:eek: My translation was WRONG! It says: a) those who are NOT selected in 2.,

...my apology...:eek::

Country
Russia
At season 2012/2013, 3rd in Japanese SrNats was Miyahara, not age eligible for Senior ISU Championships and Olympics.

Question - do JSF treat places at SrNats as places of only these who are age eligible?
(for example - if skater at 3rd place is not age eligible, as third is treated skater at 4th place)

RusFed does so - very many good too young girls, so at Euro-2013 were 1, 3, 6 places of Russian SrNats, at JrWorlds-2013 1, 5 , 6 places of JrNats (in both cases 1, 2, 3 of age eligible).

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
meaning its wide open for Miki Ando to get into the Team
Akiko will have to work even harder now

let`s talk

Match Penalty
^ I think JSF said that Miki must win JN to make the team. She is not even on JSF athletes list now. And Miki doesn't jump now. At least she didn't, not even a single time, at AOI. I am curious to see what she will do in 3.5 weeks at PIW where she is on the cast.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
^ I think JSF said that Miki must win JN to make the team. She is not even on JSF athletes list now. And Miki doesn't jump now. At least she didn't, not even a single time, at AOI. I am curious to see what she will do in 3.5 weeks at PIW where she is on the cast.

well if Miyahara can compete, there must be room at least for Miki

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
JSF has said recently that Miki will be monitored at a preliminary Japanese nationals competition (I presume that means regionals) and if she does well, she will be allowed to compete at an ISU international B competition, in order to get the minimum Olympics score. Then, according to the specified rules for Olympic selection just published, she would have to WIN Japanese Nationals to qualify for the Olympics because she doesn't have any of the other achievements specified (GPF placement, World Ranking, SB score).

babayaga

On the Ice
JSF has said recently that Miki will be monitored at a preliminary Japanese nationals competition (I presume that means regionals) and if she does well, she will be allowed to compete at an ISU international B competition, in order to get the minimum Olympics score. Then, according to the specified rules for Olympic selection just published, she would have to WIN Japanese Nationals to qualify for the Olympics because she doesn't have any of the other achievements specified (GPF placement, World Ranking, SB score).
That's not how I understood it. The second option seem to allow the JSF to select someone who placed second or third at Nationals without any additional achievements. So if Miki places second, why can't they just pick her in the second step? If she wins they must chose her, if she is on the podium they don't have to, but can.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
That's not how I understood it. The second option seem to allow the JSF to select someone who placed second or third at Nationals without any additional achievements. So if Miki places second, why can't they just pick her in the second step? If she wins they must chose her, if she is on the podium they don't have to, but can.

exactly !

prettykeys

Medalist
Thanks, deedee.

Basically they are saying they want to choose from a wide selection of good skaters, except for whoever wins Nats. :popcorn:

deedee1

Record Breaker
:) You're welcome!

<2014 World Championships>

-Slots: 3 each for Men & Ladies, 1 each for Pairs & Ice Dance
-Criteria for Singles:
1. Champion at 2013 Nationals (in Tokyo, December 2013)
2. JSF will choose one from those: either a) 2nd place at Nats, b) 3rd place at Nats, or c) the highest podium finisher (among Japanese skaters) at GPF
3. JSF will choose one from: either a) those who are not selected in 2. b) those who place 4th, 5th & 6th at Nats, c) 3 highest ranked skaters on 'ISU World Rankings' at the time of J-Nats (end December), or d) 3 highest ranked skaters on 'ISU Best Season Score' list

remarks) JSF may choose a skater(s) who meet(s) ALL of the followings: those who a) got on the World podium in the past, b) get injured in the first half of the season, thus fail to meet the above requirements, c) but can be recovered enough in time for the Worlds in March 2014.

Country
Russia
Thanks, deedee.

Basically they are saying they want to choose from a wide selection of good skaters, except for whoever wins Nats. :popcorn:
Yes.
Third at Nats-2013 was Miyahara, whose international results were not so good even at Junior level. To send her to SrWorlds would be too risky.

Country
Russia
remarks) JSF may choose a skater(s) who meet(s) ALL of the followings: those who a) got on the World podium in the past, b) get injured in the first half of the season, thus fail to meet the above requirements, c) but can be recovered enough in time for the Worlds in March 2014.

World medalists:
Men - Takahashi, Kozuka, Hanyu.
Ladies - Ando, Asada, Suzuki.

mikeko666

Final Flight
JSF can manipulate scoring at Nationals as much as they want. They even managed to let Asada win at NHK last year with that disastrous FS. A UR or two would be enough to change results. The criteria for #2 and #3 can be interpreted in any ways. They will send whoever they want, i.e. Asada, Murakami, and Miyahara.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So, out of three Olympic spots, only ONE will be selected based on performance under pressure at Japanese nationals.

The other two spots will be chosen on the basis of politics and back-room deals.

There selection criteria is broad enough that they can essentially put whomever they want on the team.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Yes.
Third at Nats-2013 was Miyahara, whose international results were not so good even at Junior level. To send her to SrWorlds would be too risky.

I thought Miyahara was too young for Senior Worlds last year anyway?

FlattFan

Match Penalty
So, out of three Olympic spots, only ONE will be selected based on performance under pressure at Japanese nationals.

The other two spots will be chosen on the basis of politics and back-room deals.

There selection criteria is broad enough that they can essentially put whomever they want on the team.

The other one you can earn via GPF. Not exactly on the basis of politics and back-room deals.