Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 32

Thread: The JSF, Japan and their media has mishandled Mao's talent

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Custom Title Minze2001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    589

    The JSF, Japan and their media has mishandled Mao's talent

    Mao Asada will go down in history as a great skater no doubt about that. But looking back I think the Japanase federation, some fans and media have harmed her. This precious 15 year old with a big smile came and won the GPF and then she became 'japan's only hope for gold", whe was carrying the federation on her shulders (according to japan times), she is the athelete with more sponsors, if she does not do well tv ratings go down. I think this was too much pressure for one person. As if JAPAN did not have other skaters who could also carry the burden. It must be so hard for an athlete to live with the presure of your "country is couting on you for gold from such an young age". Mao annouce she will retire and people are writing articles about her sponsors not happy with that. Who cares?

    If we look at other top skaters they have not have to deal with this presure. Kim Yuna does not feel that presure because her country does not view skating as a religion (maybe they do know but is only because they have produced one the greatest skaters of this generation) However Japan has a long skating history with Midori Ito----- and I know they only have one gold medal and they want more, but nevertheless, they put an inhumane presume on Mao Asada. I think Mao felt this pressure during last olympics.

    Caro Kostner does not have that much pressure because I think Italy is very happy with a having a top rated skater

    With that I am not saying that Mao should not been Japan's skating superstar, what I am saying is why put all your eggs in one basket (Miki Ando super star, Akkiko superstar why put all the pressure in one skater)

    Mao will be ok no matter what the girl has more sponsors thant Tiger Woods in Japan, so I assume she will be finncially secure). So if I were Mao I will go to this Olympics not with the goalo of beating Kim or win gold, but the goal to have the skate of my life. If Japan does not win another gold medal. well....

    By the way I suppor team japan

  2. #2
    ~high art~
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    636
    Mao should have worked on her basics. Instead what she did was pushing herself for more and more difficulty, and it did not work as well as the enormous expectations people had had. It is her own technical instability that caused her problems.

  3. #3
    Custom Title Minze2001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    589
    Quote Originally Posted by Moment View Post
    Mao should have worked on her basics. Instead what she did was pushing herself for more and more difficulty, and it did not work as well as the enormous expectations people had had. It is her own technical instability that caused her problems.
    The girl could never win. Easy layout. Outcry Mao has water down her programs. More difficult. why is she trying a difficult program. And the reason she pushed for difficulty is because it was expected for her. Watch any Japanese broadcast. Fans want to see the famous triple axel. Watch the 4cc when she got it right in sp see reaction.

  4. #4
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    239
    Quote Originally Posted by Minze2001 View Post
    And the reason she pushed for difficulty is because it was expected for her. Watch any Japanese broadcast. Fans want to see the famous triple axel. Watch the 4cc when she got it right in sp see reaction.
    Interesting thing is that people not figure skating fans know the word "triple axel" and they do expect Mao to do it, but they almost can't tell the jump. I don't blame them because I am not an expert either, but sometimes I am frustrated.

    I can't forget that Mao was crying after getting silver medal at Olympics. Mao could hardly talk but the announcer kept asking and asking and asking...I know that was her job as an announcer, but it was SO painful to watch for even a casual fan like me. All I thought was "LEAVE HER ALONE!!". (I don' know what people said about it in this forum.)

    Being famous and popular is very tough in various fields and countries. I just wish her happy smiles at Sochi whatever the result would be.

  5. #5
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by yude View Post
    I can't forget that Mao was crying after getting silver medal at Olympics.
    I know, and she looked so crushed on the podium. :( I just wanted to hug her.

    I think I read somewhere that bronze medalists tend to be happier in general than silver medalists, because silver medalists are thinking, "If I had only done this or that, I could have gotten gold," whereas bronze medalists are thinking, "If I had done this or that, I would be off the podium entirely."

  6. #6
    Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,452
    Pfffffffffbbt. Mao is still a multi-World Champ, Olympic medalist, multi-millionaire who has broken all kinds of records in figure skating. Would she be happier if there was less pressure and scrutiny? Probably. But I don't get the impression that she can't handle it. There are plenty of examples of athletes who crash and burn in the wake of a bit of success and fame, but Ms. Asada is assuredly not one of them. If she doesn't win that Olympic gold this time, she'll still go down in history as one of the most influential and beloved skaters of all time. And while I don't doubt there is immense lobbying from all the people who made an industry of her for her to continue competing, I think by now, Mao has enough confidence and power to say no when she wants to.

  7. #7
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    256
    Quote Originally Posted by Minze2001 View Post
    Actually that was not the point I was trying to make. JFS loves mao becasue as the writer from Japan times said she is a waling conglomerate. She brings money for the sport. So it could be a case of too much love (which she does deserve because she is the best Japanese lady) but it could be a case of her feeling the presure to compete all the time because of sponsers, tv rating and so on.......
    I can't agree with wrong way of love of the federation. but It is sure that it is not her fault. And your last sentence is understandable

  8. #8
    Custom Title Minze2001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    589
    By the way. Why is it that when some disagree with someone's opinion some people call it off base, absurd? I dont get it? people can have different opinions. Argue your point without using charge words like absurd, off base and so on... And no my intention with this thread was not to disscuss Mao jumps. I was making a point of putting too much pressure on one athlete my media, federation and fans.

    The reason for my point was an article that outlined the reasons why Mao was going to be pressured not to retired. So, I thought about how much pressure they have put in one athlete. Again Mea culpa for using Kim as a reference to make my point. I was just saying in my opinion a country with a strong tradition in one sport puts more pressure in their athletes to win.

    Again, I was not pleading for anyone to feel sorry for Mao, since I started my thread saying she is one of the great skaters and probably financeaily stable

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,379
    this thread reeks of being inflamed and strated by a Yuna Uber which is as bad.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    2,188
    Quote Originally Posted by Minze2001 View Post
    Watch any Japanese broadcast.
    If you did, you would know that it's not even a half of pressure of what Daisuke with quad-rants and even Hanyu had to deal with. It's basically eaten them both up last season and the result you know. Ever heard about Plu and what some morons from Russian TV say about him? Mao is actually in a quite fine situation here. Unless you wanted to create one more thread to bash her up.

  11. #11
    Custom Title Minze2001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    589
    Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    If you did, you would know that it's not even a half of pressure of what Daisuke with quad-rants and even Hanyu had to deal with. It's basically eaten them both up last season and the result you know. Ever heard about Plu and the what some morons from Russian TV say about him? Mao is actually in a quite fine situation here. Unless you wanted to create one more thread to bash her up.
    You missed my point I know Mao is beloved but I was talking about the presure becauce of ther talent they expected so much of her. By the way look me up in this forum I am a Mao fan I will never bash. She is the reason I am a skating fan, so no me bash Mao imposible. I have not posted that much here but the little that I have posted has been about my love for Mao.

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    2,188
    Quote Originally Posted by Minze2001 View Post
    You missed my point I know Mao is beloved but I was talking about the presure becauce of ther talent they expected so much of her.
    It's vice versa. I mean about missing the point. Mao is not under any bigger pressure than Daisuke, and even Yuzu last season. And none of them is not even near under the type of pressure that Plu deals daily with his country media for his entire career.

  13. #13
    ~high art~
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    636
    My post was about Mao in the previous quad, but whatever. What Mao tried was never that easy. She had a seven triple layout repeating flips and loops with a 2A+3T combination. How is that easy? The problem was it was never skated clean.

  14. #14
    Custom Title Minze2001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    589
    But who has? it is nature of this sport I think. You dont skate clean 100 percent of the time. After winning 2010 world my opinion is that she should have skipped the next season while re-working her jumps (working on her basics like you called it) without the presure of competition. But it seems to me that because of sponsors, tv ratings and obligations or because she and her team did not want she chose to compete when she was not ready.

  15. #15
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    256
    honestly, I'm hard to believe that Japan Federation like not Mao Asada. I have never thought so, and when we remind last year's NHK Trophy ...

    Also, you said that Kim Yuna has not been feel that presure from her country and federation, media? No, absolutely not.
    When she was younger skater(before 07-08 season), she couldn't received enough training condition, enough support from federation, - b/c before she, In korea, figures skating was not only non-population sport, but was even not known sports at all, so It was surprise thing that suddenly she is shown, and get medaled where all she participated, and became a big star as a figure skater in korea. At that time, she had considered to leave the figure skating many times since injuries and money problems - although she was already top skater, get medaled in all competitions where she participated. At that time, some fans support her by giving skate shoes, or some moneys..etc. like in this fan meeting.. http://youtu.be/_8kCgKKxxgU

    Even though there is not much that federation did for her, they have always so many orders to her. when she(and other sports stars) shows not good competitive... she received a lot of attack from media.

    before vancouver olympic, in one interview, she said the biggest fear for her is her country because when she doesn't show good competitive, she get too much attacks from medias.. and people
    Although after 2010 olympic, such things are a little decreased

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •