Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Lysacek likely to enter U.S. Int'l in Salt Lake City, per Hersh (Jun 12)

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar

News Lysacek likely to enter U.S. Int'l in Salt Lake City, per Hersh (Jun 12)

Philip Hersh ‏@olyphil
    Evan Lysacek will likely do the US Intl in Salt Lake Sept. 12-15 as his comeback competition and warmup for Skate America
    9:46 AM - 12 Jun 13

Well, this is a wise decision! Debuting your new comeback programs in a GP wouldn't really be a super-intelligent thing to do!

Custom Title
    How can Evan compete without a Quad?

Custom Title
    Well, if he lands all of his triples, maybe he'll at least be on the podium(unless more skaters who can land quads consistently decides to compete there).

Quote Originally Posted by jatale View Post
    I think that he actually plans a quad... But, even IF he does land one quad and all of his triples, it couldn't be enough, even for a SA medal...

Custom Title
    Ah, so here's where the comeback stops, when he gets on the ice at this B and is soundly beaten. Who else is going to this B? I hope some good skaters. Maybe it'll be one of Brown's supplements? Because Jason could kick Lysacek's backside any day of the week.

Custom Title
    I am just curious, why does everyone hate Lysacek so much? I get that he doesn't have a solid consistent quad. But neither does Takahashi, Kozuka, Abbott, Amodio, Brown, or Miner, all of whom seem to get more appreciation here. I don't understand the level of hatred Evan seems to inspire.

Frank Carroll says Evan us training a quad, is doing pretty well in practice, and definitely intends to have a quad in his arsenal.

When asked if Evan can compete with guys who plan 4 or 5 quads in their two programs, Carroll said that Evan doesn't have to do 5 quads. He has to one quad superbly.

The value of a quad went up by only half a point after the Vancouver Olympics. There are many other ways to earn points. We will have to wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by eyria View Post
    I am just curious, why does everyone hate Lysacek so much? I get that he doesn't have a solid consistent quad. But neither does Takahashi, Kozuka, Abbott, Amodio, Brown, or Miner, all of whom seem to get more appreciation here. I don't understand the level of hatred Evan seems to inspire.
    Well, I don't know if I'm the right person to reply to this, seeing as I don't really hate Evan, even if I'm by no means a fan. (It's not that I actively dislike his skating - it just doesn't "do" anything for me.) I think the difference is that the other guys at least try to go for a quad - Evan won a number of things without even trying to go for it. Brown, I think is still young, and has just recently managed the 3A, so maybe he's getting the benefit of the doubt? I don't pretend to think I have the "answers", though - I'm just guessing.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Frank Carroll says Evan us training a quad, is doing pretty well in practice, and definitely intends to have a quad in his arsenal.

When asked if Evan can compete with guys who plan 4 or 5 quads in their two programs, Carroll said that Evan doesn't have to do 5 quads. He has to one quad superbly.

The value of a quad went up by only half a point after the Vancouver Olympics. There are many other ways to earn points. We will have to wait and see.
    They also ended a step sequence in the sp and made one a goe based step seq not leveled. Level 4 are easier to get but there is still less opportunity to get points on step sequences. They are still more in the pre revision 2009 or 2010 season when they were taking quads out of short programs. They seem to have a belief Lysaceks pcs will be stratospheric!! Less goe on some triples too.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by eyria View Post
    He does not have the artistry or skating skills of koszuka Abbott takahashi brown. I wouldn't say miner or amodio get more appreciation. Seems like everyone hates amodios programs and if his are unique to him Lysacek never ever does anything unique or interesting in a program. He gives nothing of himself in a program? It's all Lori nichol point getting! He has no quad but also no unique lysacek on ice qualities! He just "works hard"- his skating is too bland to talk about.

Still, there are 7 billion people on this planet who cannot do a quad. That is no reason to wish Evan bad luck and be gleeful if he fails.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jatale View Post
    Evan has done the quad before, hasn't he? I'm not a big Evan fan, but he has consistency and the ability to do two clean programs. He also knows how to squeeze maximum points out of every element he does. I think injury is more likely to hold Evan back than his inability to do multiple quads.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jenaj View Post
    Evan has done the quad before, hasn't he? I'm not a big Evan fan, but he has consistency and the ability to do two clean programs. He also knows how to squeeze maximum points out of every element he does. I think injury is more likely to hold Evan back than his inability to do multiple quads.
    A result of the changes in 2010 was that you can not in almost any way squeeze out as many points as you could from not doing a quad as before. That's why quads came back not only in fs but sp too!!! Sp quads came back! Because of the huge huge changes! If his mission is to test whether this is true and the conventional wisdom is wrong that's his project!

I saw a huge improvement in Evan's style of skating after he'd appeared on "Dancing with the Stars." He learned a lot about artistry & presentation from the professional dancers on that show. If he competes I think many of his doubters will be surprised.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast