Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Which past US girls to send to Sochi?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Why pick someone like Cohen who you just know is going to fall once or twice and blow it yet again?
    She won a silver medal at the olympics with a fall and step out in the long

Custom Title
    Rosalyn Summers (she won silver to witt's OG ), Linda Fratianne, Elaine Zayack . Of course, I am assuming they are at their prime and have jumps competitive with the current crew.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    She won a silver medal at the olympics with a fall and step out in the long
    Only because the competition was so mediocre. If Sasha had skated like she did in Turin at the 2010 Olympics she would have been lucky to make the top 7.

Banned
    Only because the competition was so mediocre. If Sasha had skated like she did in Turin at the 2010 Olympics she would have been lucky to make the top 7.
    True at that, but most Olympics are not as strong as Vancouver (heck none in history has been) and Sochi probably wont be either despite the deep field. A whole field handling Olympic nerves like that was astonishing and very rare. Furthermore Cohen on a good day could perform better than she did in Turin. She had an injury in Turin too.

Banned
    Why pick someone like Cohen who you just know is going to fall once or twice and blow it yet again?
    I picked her for lack of better options. Come to think of it further though you are probably right and Yamaguchi, Debi Thomas, and one of Tara Lipinski or Michelle Kwan maybe would be my team since while neither Kwan or Tara would be as strong under COP as 6.0, both would still be fairly strong, and all 4 of those were great under pressure. Past skaters assumed to have the difficulty of todays skaters translated into a different time though my team would be Yamaguchi, Hamill, and Lynn probably.

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    I keep forgetting that she's the only skater that ever did!!

Custom Title
    I'd love to see Sasha Cohen skate at the Olympics again. There's no one like her, she really tells a story when she skates and is just incredible, regardless of the mistakes!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee4707 View Post
    I keep forgetting that she's the only skater that ever did!!
    Yes, like Cohen, other american female skaters have fallen at the Olympics.
    Kristi had what would be considered a fall today in her 1992 Olympics.

I find it amazing though that she had a triple lutz/ triple toe in 1992 and our national champion today doesn't have any kind of 3/3.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dozwFZ5NoNs

At the same Olympics, Harding had a fall.

Janet Lynn had a fall at the 1972 Olympics. Emily Hughes fell qt the 2006 Olympics. NIcole Bobek fell at her Olympics in 1998.

So if a fall at an OLympics is a basis for elimination in this thread, quite a few suggested skaters would have to have their name withdrawn.

Was there a name for the tanyo-like double axel Nancy did at her first Olympics?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v6qwtKRKeM

Custom Title
    Rosalyn Summers (she won silver to witt's OG ), Linda Fratianne, Elaine Zayack . Of course, I am assuming they are at their prime and have jumps competitive with the current crew.
    so like a total fantasy right???

Custom Title
    Not under the assumptions of this thread: If Elaine' s skating days were today, she would probably have an amazing arsenal of triples. Since Rosalyn did well against witt, if her skating days were today, I think she would be competitive with many of the top skaters today. Same for Linda. If they were frozen in time, of course, it would be fantasy to think they could do well today. But since looking at Kristi's olympic program I think some of today's top skaters would find her a very worthy competitor (all of the american ladies, in fact)

Banned
    Sumners was not that competitive with Witt. The only amateur competition she ever beat Witt was the 83 Worlds when Witt was 8th in figures to her 1st. The only reason Sarajevo was close was her being the reigning World Champion and again being 1st in figures which dont exist today. I wouldnt want Sumners other than for enjoyment level (well she isnt that enjoyable for me even, but if she is for you that is cool). She was never a strong jumper even for her own era, her spins were also quite weak even for her own era, and she wouldnt be much of a threat under todays system even if she was able to do all 5 triples (which given her would all be inconsistent and prone to scaling down when she was nervous).

Zayak I could see more potential to be a threat today assuming she had a triple lutz and flip. She was ahead of her time in jumps, strong in spins, strong in jump combinations, and despite her oft criticized artistry did lots of field moves, transitions, and steps in between and into jumps.

Fratianne I found a total zzzzz skater and IMO was successful in an incredibly weak era. Not sure objectively speaking how suited she would be to COP, probably more than Sumners, but less than Zayak.

Custom Title
    Not under the assumptions of this thread: If Elaine' s skating days were today, she would probably have an amazing arsenal of triples. Since Rosalyn did well against witt, if her skating days were today, I think she would be competitive with many of the top skaters today. Same for Linda.
    I'm not sure I agree. I think what would hold a lot of these women back is their more womanly figures. Look at the builds of the few Caucasian women who have success with all the triples after their teenage years; they have to be quite slender.

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ffionhanathomas View Post
    I'd love to see Sasha Cohen skate at the Olympics again. There's no one like her, she really tells a story when she skates and is just incredible, regardless of the mistakes!
    I would love to see that too!!! I wonder how many people who always have comments about Sasha has ever seen her skate in person, competitively. I saw her in 2003 at Skate Canada and she got a standing ovation during practice. Her lines are spectacular.

So the original question was ...Which past US girls to send to Sochi???

Several people said ...why send Sasha, she falls. If that's part of the criteria then we wouldn't have any US ladies to send.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee4707 View Post
    I would love to see that too!!! I wonder how many people who always have comments about Sasha has ever seen her skate in person, competitively. I saw her in 2003 at Skate Canada and she got a standing ovation during practice. Her lines are spectacular.

So the original question was ...Which past US girls to send to Sochi???

Several people said ...why send Sasha, she falls. If that's part of the criteria then we wouldn't have any US ladies to send.
    The fact remains that she was not dependable in competition. She never skated a clean LP except for maybe one time when it counted.

She never skated a clean LP except for maybe one time when it counted.
    Here is Sasha's clean long program. She beat Michelle and everybody.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oUIDWF1zRw

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast