Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 71

Thread: Ashley Wagner to train part-time with Rafael Arutyunyan

  1. #31
    Miserere Nobis
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Texas Darling
    Posts
    1,477
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    I have to wonder if Ashley is so intent on upping her technical content why she is doing so many shows this summer. It's almost July and she's booked for more shows and all that travel takes it's toll. Makes me wonder when the hard training is going to happen because 3-3's don't happen overnight. Meanwhile Gracie is continuing to work on upping her jumps even more. D/W aren't doing any shows at all because they are preparing for Sochi. I think Ashley needs to start putting in the work now because before you know it the season will already be here.
    Gracie is doing The Ice in Japan next month. What other show(s) is/are Ashley participating in?

  2. #32
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,668
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    I have to wonder if Ashley is so intent on upping her technical content why she is doing so many shows this summer. It's almost July and she's booked for more shows and all that travel takes it's toll. Makes me wonder when the hard training is going to happen because 3-3's don't happen overnight. Meanwhile Gracie is continuing to work on upping her jumps even more. D/W aren't doing any shows at all because they are preparing for Sochi. I think Ashley needs to start putting in the work now because before you know it the season will already be here.
    With two first rate coaches, she probably needs the money.

    I think Nicks has done for her what he can, so I really don't understand her continuing with him. Before it is over, I hope she will settle for one or the other, and I would guess it would be Raphael. What happens if she starts getting mixed or different messages from her two coaches. Now, I don't think this is a good idea---too many cooks stirring the pot.

  3. #33
    At the rink. Again. mskater93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,087
    Perhaps Mr. Nicks is best for her soft skills (ie mental toughness)

  4. #34
    Gambatte, Max Aaron/"No letting off the gas pedal" golden411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,729
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFish View Post
    Gracie is doing The Ice in Japan next month. What other show(s) is/are Ashley participating in?
    If you mean upcoming shows for Wagner, I don't remember off the top of my head what is on the docket for her.
    But it does seems as if she already has done quite a few since WTT: the full CSOI tour (except for a brief absence to make a whirlwind trip to LA for the pre-Olympic promo shoots); All That Skate; Skate for Hope (for charity); and I forget what else.
    I do recall from previous years that Wagner has said that skating in shows really improves her performance skills, so maybe she feels that benefit helps offset the time away from training, etc.

  5. #35
    Custom Title BlackPack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    893
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    I have to wonder if Ashley is so intent on upping her technical content why she is doing so many shows this summer. It's almost July and she's booked for more shows and all that travel takes it's toll. Makes me wonder when the hard training is going to happen because 3-3's don't happen overnight. Meanwhile Gracie is continuing to work on upping her jumps even more. D/W aren't doing any shows at all because they are preparing for Sochi. I think Ashley needs to start putting in the work now because before you know it the season will already be here.
    Dave and Jenny said that D&W can afford to skip the shows, because they have sponsors. Ashley doesn't and has to find income to support herself somehow.

  6. #36
    Gambatte, Max Aaron/"No letting off the gas pedal" golden411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,729
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackPack View Post
    Dave and Jenny said that D&W can afford to skip the shows, because they have sponsors. Ashley doesn't and has to find income to support herself somehow.
    FWIW, Wagner has at least two sponsors: Nike (no less) and Pandora Jewelry.

    That is not to say that income from skating in shows would not be important to her.

  7. #37
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,204
    Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    I think Nicks has done for her what he can, so I really don't understand her continuing with him.
    I understand your point, but she has had terrific results under his tutelage. She won't necessarily improve her results by changing coaches, particularly if he has helped her with her mental toughness. If she simply maintains her level she'll have two more GP medals, a top 2 finish at Nationals, and trips to the Worlds and Olympics by the end of next season. There is some upside but an awful lot of downside possibilities from making any drastic changes.

  8. #38
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,204
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    If you mean upcoming shows for Wagner, I don't remember off the top of my head what is on the docket for her.
    But it does seems as if she already has done quite a few since WTT: the full CSOI tour (except for a brief absence to make a whirlwind trip to LA for the pre-Olympic promo shoots); All That Skate; Skate for Hope (for charity); and I forget what else.
    I do recall from previous years that Wagner has said that skating in shows really improves her performance skills, so maybe she feels that benefit helps offset the time away from training, etc.
    It's understandable that she wants to continue to keep her name out there too. Evan is a reigning OGM and people have almost forgotten about him, so even talented skaters can have a very short shelf life when it comes to professional opportunities.

  9. #39
    Custom Title BlackPack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    893
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    FWIW, Wagner has at least two sponsors: Nike (no less) and Pandora Jewelry.

    That is not to say that income from skating in shows would not be important to her.
    That is good to hear. So after the shows, she'll start training in earnest in August? 2 months to Skate America? Sounds scary especially if her programs aren't well put together yet.

  10. #40
    Down With It
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,480
    So she might be a little bumpy in October, but come January, she'll be right where she needs to be.

  11. #41
    skating philosopher
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    7,364
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    It's understandable that she wants to continue to keep her name out there too. Evan is a reigning OGM and people have almost forgotten about him, so even talented skaters can have a very short shelf life when it comes to professional opportunities.
    Also the obvious: Eventually Ashley is going to move on, so I'm sure that she's also saving money for that post-skating life, i.e. college, nest egg, etc.

  12. #42
    Custom Title macy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    554
    Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    With two first rate coaches, she probably needs the money.

    I think Nicks has done for her what he can, so I really don't understand her continuing with him. Before it is over, I hope she will settle for one or the other, and I would guess it would be Raphael. What happens if she starts getting mixed or different messages from her two coaches. Now, I don't think this is a good idea---too many cooks stirring the pot.
    i agree with this...several times in my career i worked with someone else who taught a different jump technique than my main coach and it does cause confusion. also it does nothing for you in the long run, only hinders your progress. i wonder if raphael and mr. nicks teach a similar technique?

  13. #43
    Custom Title BlackPack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    893
    Quote Originally Posted by macy View Post
    i agree with this...several times in my career i worked with someone else who taught a different jump technique than my main coach and it does cause confusion. also it does nothing for you in the long run, only hinders your progress. i wonder if raphael and mr. nicks teach a similar technique?
    The most prominent skater that employed Rafael as the only main coach for many years was probably Aleksandr Abt. I don't know if anyone has employed him as main coach for a significant period of time over 2 years. I know Mao and Michelle have used his services but not for too long and also had other more established coaches in the background. For some reason, Rafael has been treated as a back-up, auxiliary coach, as is the case with Wagner. I don't know why. Why isn't Rafael treated as the real deal?

    I also agree that it's better for Wagner to not overburden herself by oscillating between Rafael and Nicks. Two different rinks, long distances, different coaching techniques. She needs to focus on 2 goals 1) consistent 3-3 and 2) a good program with music and style that works for her.

  14. #44
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    989
    Commuting between Orange County and Lake Arrowhead is even longer than what Mirai faced in her 2 hour commute when Frank C. was in Palm Desert. But perhaps Ashley will be staying at one of the cabins for a few days (if they still exist). It has been years since I've been up to Lake Arrowhead, but the drive, especially in winter is not fun.

  15. #45
    skating philosopher
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    7,364
    Quote Originally Posted by KKonas View Post
    Commuting between Orange County and Lake Arrowhead is even longer than what Mirai faced in her 2 hour commute when Frank C. was in Palm Desert. But perhaps Ashley will be staying at one of the cabins for a few days (if they still exist). It has been years since I've been up to Lake Arrowhead, but the drive, especially in winter is not fun.
    The Skating Lesson folks had been tweeting that Adam Rippon, who is currently being coached by Rafael, has been training at Toyota Sports Center and that there was specuation that Rafael would be relocating to Toyota Sports Center.

    Don't know how true that is. But if that's the case, then the two rinks are 50 miles apart, so not too bad. I guess we'll see.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •