Big Time / Boo Time Lessons & Practices January 19 - 25 | Golden Skate

Big Time / Boo Time Lessons & Practices January 19 - 25

Cinderella on Ice

Bless you, Fairy Godmother, I'm Having a BALL!
On the Ice
Boo Time - Both of my practices so far this week have been a little disappointing. Even though I worked hard at each of them, I didn't quite have that "on" feeling, ya know? Monday I got to the rink a little late and then drizzled away some time messing with getting my skates right. Yesterday I didn't really perk up until my lesson.

Big Time - my coach had me work through 2 long segments of my program, and she was pleased with how they're coming along. And I had some really nicely centered spins once she made me realize I was dropping my right shoulder and tucking my right hip under on the back sit coming out of the flying camel.

luenatic

On the Ice
Boo Time: I'm still working on my flip. Oh well, I'm not in any hurry. :laugh: My back 3s are still not smooth and effortless. On the contrary, they're very labored and horrific looking. :laugh: I'll work on them. I can do them, I just need to refine them.

Big Time: I don't really have any BIG time to speak of. 1 foot spin is getting better. I have more speed going into the spin and that's a good thing. My coach said I should start back spin. But she didn't want to mess up my 1-foot spin for now. So I'll concentrate on getting the 1-foot spin down, then we'll move on. I'm getting there. Maybe in a month?

Also working on spread eagle. I was working on Outside SE into Inside SE down the rink. Last night my coach asked me to do O/I/O/I SE down the rink. To my surprise, it worked. So we moved on to clockwise B XO into Outside SE. I can only hold for half a circle. The goal for me is to hold the SE for at least 1 big complete circle. My coach asked me to work on that.

We also worked on stroking a bit. Both my forward and backward crossovers are much smoother. I can even hold and have good extension and position. What's the problem then? They're not effortless. I have to pay 150% attention to each XO to make sure I point my toe, extend my free leg, push with the outside edge, bend my knees, hold the position, etc..... The list goes on and on. It's not second nature to me yet. I don't have it in muscle memory. I know I'll have to keep practicing them until they look and feel effortless. The ultimate goal. :p

Happy skating everyone.

icer

Rinkside
Big Time: Spins continue to go well. Falling out of the sit spin less quickly than before- not many revolutions and not very low, but I do sometimes get into it and successfully out of it! Getting better at confidently covering the whole ice in warm-up sequences and not slowing down too much on the forward-to-backward and backward-to-forward changes. People in my skating class have noticed a big improvement, always nice to hear.

Boo- Jumps are SO tentative. More tentative? Is my fear of jumping common sense (I don't have the coordination right yet) or just fear of falling? I still don't fall enough. I don't think I'll really get how to jump until I do them a little faster and with a little more power- I'm taking no advantage of the momentum I can build up AT ALL. As one possible reason- it's cold cold cold in the rink and the ice is harder than usual... I feel like my toe pick doesn't really pick into the ice so I may have even less than usual confidence that I can vault up off of it.

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Just had my blades sharpened and new insoles put in, however the insoles are a fraction of an inch thicker then the old worn out ones and it has put my foot in a different position inside the boot:(
Basically I have new pressure points and my heel feels too high-I feel some blisters happening-ouch!

Big Time-Today I did the BEST sit spins that were fast and CENTERED!!

Boo Time-My feet hurt and when your feet hurt it is hard to keep skating. If only someone would make a boot that felt like a slipper, soft and comfortable:p

Yazmeen

On the Ice
I'll reply quickly here as I'm away on conference and at a hotel computer: Tuesday's lesson was positive with my coach extremely happy over all crossovers and talking about changing things to "high speed skating" in my program. Not so positive on three turns. We've reworked my balance and speed and position on all my basic skills, so inevitably, three turns are being reworked and are almost back to the beginnings; however, overall they're more positive than negative.

Otherwise, hugs to all, and once again, WHY did this organization have to hold its conference in the city hosting Nationals...TWO WEEKS AFTER THE COMPETITION!!! (no joke, Dallas last year, Atlanta this year) AAAUUUUUUGGGGGHHHHH!!!!! :mad: :laugh: