Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Rule changes you would like to see

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    For me, I think you should be allowed to repeat one jump at most, to accommodate doing a combo finishing with a 3R or 3T and also doing the jump solo. Doing a jump once shows you can do the jump, so I don't see the point of doing a jump twice. We've seen so many injuries through the years from the triple jumps, and now that the programs are much harder due to the footwork requirements and PCS I'd like to see the jump requirements scaled back.
    I totally agree with this. I don't really see the point of skaters doing the same jump twice in the same program, and I would save that for a jump that's the second jump in a triple-triple combination (i.e. A skater could do a triple salchow-triple loop and then a second solo triple loop, and of course, a skater could do a combination of the same triple, like a triple toe-triple toe).

It would free up a jumping pass for most skaters and allow for more choreography and artistry.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyk75 View Post
    I totally agree with this. I don't really see the point of skaters doing the same jump twice in the same program, and I would save that for a jump that's the second jump in a triple-triple combination (i.e. A skater could do a triple salchow-triple loop and then a second solo triple loop,
    Suppose the skater's best jump is triple salchow and the only triple-triple combination she can do is 3S+3Lo (or 3S+3T). She can also do 3S from a really difficult entrance -- but not in a way that allows her to put another triple on the landing. Or she can do something difficult and creative with the landing of a solo 3S -- which would not be possible in a combination. So in this case, it makes sense for repeat rule to require that the repeated jump be in combination one of the times it's performed, but not to require that it be the last jump in the combination.

The same argument above applies if the skater's best jump she wants to repeat is triple lutz (or flip -- or axel, for that matter).

And then you have lower-ranked senior ladies who can only do two triples and who can't do any 3-3 combos. Even if they do solo 3S, 3S+2T, solo 3T, 3T+2T, and two double axels passes, that still leaves one more jump pass for doubles. If you take away their permission to repeat the two triples they can do, they'll only be able to spend two jump passes on triple jumps and they'll end up repeating several different doubles.

Custom Title
    I think all of these changes would be great, hadn't even thought of most of these but after reading I think they are needed. GS should be in charge of rules making :D

Quote Originally Posted by gkelly
    I'd also like to see fall deductions changed to a percentage of the Total Segment Score rather than a flat 1.0 for all skaters at all levels and disciplines and competition phases.

As others have suggested this past season, I've come to think it might also be a good idea to start with a relatively small deduction for the first fall and increase the size of the deduction for subsequent falls. E.g., the first one could cost 1% of the TSS, the second fall 2%, and so forth.

Also, as I've been saying for years, I'd like to see skaters have more flexibility about how many of each kind of element they perform in the so-called free program, with minimums and maximums for each kind and a maximum number of total elements.

E.g., a senior freeskate for either men or women could have a maximum of 13 elements, of which 5-8 could be jump elements (with 1-3 combos allowed), 2-5 spin elements, 1-2 step sequences, and some other options available for points as well.
    Great points. Falls as a % of TSS make a lot of sense so that it's a consistent penalty across levels. And more flexibility in the free program would be awesome. With CoP, programs tend to look similar. It would be awesome if skaters had the flexibility to do more of what they do well.

Quote Originally Posted by bara1968
    But one thing bothers me with this strategy : if you try to do more difficult contents like 3-3, you would take much bigger risk than the others trying easier contents like 3-2. i.e., if you fall, you would get something like -3 with 3-3, -2 with 3-2. So this may cause everyone chooses easier path if they have consistency issue, rather than encourage them to choose more difficult layout.
    Great point. Not sure how to get around this. Maybe only seeing consistently successful attempts would be good, but on the other hand people might become too safe.

Custom Title
    - Allow one extra triple of any type so long as it is not the first part of a combination or sequence
    - A fall on a non-element (transitional work) gets a -3 deduction, not a -1
    - For any negative GOE received, take half and subtract it from the PES. So, a -3 for falling on any element will get an automatic -1.5 off the PES. This is on top of the -1 mandatory deduction for falling.

#TeamAUS
    Put the 'free' back into freeskating!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2