Miki Ando is now mother of a baby girl! | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Miki Ando is now mother of a baby girl!

deedee1

Record Breaker
Zuzana (Paurova) Babiakova competed in singles figure skating the 2002 Olympics after giving birth in 2000.

I would not be surprised to learn that one or more women who competed in singles skating in any of the pre-WWII Olympics were mothers, but I haven't done the research to determine whether that is or is not the case.

:eek:: Thanks a lot for correcting me! :)
I would hate J-media for giving skating fans mis-information from time to time...like this one, or, at the time of 2010 Vancouver Fuji TV's pbp announcer screamed into his mike that 'Evgeni Plushenko did not fall on jumps at all for the last 8 years (after he missed one during SP at 2002 Salt Lake City)', or, at 2013 London Worlds that 'Russia now has 2 spots for Men and 3 spots for Ladies, because the hosting country is automatically given one spot no matter what'...:sarcasm:
J-media, do more research before you say something catchy, and pay more respect to all other athletes in the world, please. :disapp:

Cherryy

On the Ice
Congrats to Miki, what a surprise for everybody.
Does anyone know what's the child name? Do you think Miki would like her daughter to skate or not?

bebevia

On the Ice
Does anyone know what's the child name? Do you think Miki would like her daughter to skate or not?
Himawari (Sunflower). I don't think Ando would push her child in that direction or any direction. She's expressed before how hard the sport is and there were times she wanted to quit. (She stayed with the 2010-11 season only because of the contract.) However, she'd definitely support her daughter wherever she decides to head.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Himawari (Sunflower). I don't think Ando would push her child in that direction or any direction. She's expressed before how hard the sport is and there were times she wanted to quit. (She stayed with the 2010-11 season only because of the contract.) However, she'd definitely support her daughter wherever she decides to head.

Himawari? What a gorgeous name! It sounds beautiful to the ear (I tend to love the sound of Japanese names, both first and last names, but this is unusually lovely), and its meaning is pretty also. Himawari. Live long and prosper, little one.

Icey

Record Breaker
Congrats. Question: single motherhood is accepted by the japanese? I asked this question because in South America single mothers are still look down too in this day and age

Out of wedlock parenthood is still a no no in Japan. While those kinds of births have mushroomed in other countries, they remain in the low single digits in Japan . In googling the subject I found lots of interesting articles on this subject and the social and other reasons why such births are generally frowned on.

What stood in the way of their marrying before the birth or stands in the way now? Some of the material I read implied that the live-in boyfriend quite often "lays down the law"
as to how things are gong to be if he marries the woman.

bebevia

On the Ice
Out of wedlock parenthood is still a no no in Japan. While those kinds of births have mushroomed in other countries, they remain in the low single digits in Japan. In googling the subject I found lots of interesting articles on this subject and the social and other reasons why such births are generally frowned on.

What stood in the way of their marrying before the birth or stands in the way now? Some of the material I read implied that the live-in boyfriend quite often "lays down the law" as to how things are gong to be if he marries the woman.
They're getting married sometime soon, I hear. I speculate it is the same reason as why she kept her pregnancy secret, possibly to stay away from the stress of media gossips during the sensitive state. It should've also helped her focus on recovery and prep for the coming season. Also, the announcement was carefully timed to give Miki a media exposure and attention for the pre-season when needed. I say Miki and her team made very smart choices. (On that behalf, Himawari helped her mother in a way that her birthdate was set as early as possible in the off-season, so that the mother had more time to prep!)

As far as the regards on single motherhood in East Asian culture, it is in a transitional stage; some see her as an "improper/promiscuous woman", more people congratulate her, many people "try" to understand but respect her nevertheless; I don't think it's way too far from the N.A. perception. I personally think the acceptance level depends on the rate of exposure, not the other way around; N.A. has a high single mother ratio, and that's why people take it easier. Not too long ago, N.A. was very strict on the issue as well; some American states and many elderlies still are.

In any instance, her people support her (proximate supports play a big role in reputation) and she is rich enough to avoid all single mother disadvantages. Moreover, she's getting married anyways (at least to what's rumoured), so she's not really in that single mother category in public eyes to begin with, but rather in-between (would've been different had she not have a boyfriend).

Matilda

Medalist
Congratulations to Miki!!! :yay:

It's wonderful to see how happy she looks in the pictures I've seen from this weekend's Fantasy on Ice show. I read she was jumping well, too--what an amazing athlete she is!

A few pictures from the show:
http://mainichi.jp/graph/2013/07/06/20130706org00m050002000c/image/031.jpg
http://25.media.tumblr.com/8e955fa15c324e97c7b05436c5f4f276/tumblr_mpia94FkEh1r7yjpso2_500.jpg :love:

Backstage: http://stat.ameba.jp/user_images/20130707/16/aokonoto/43/56/j/o0768102412601574731.jpg

After the show (love the caption!): http://instagram.com/p/bdbbRZBheu/#

Saturday's show was filmed and will broadcast next weekend, so there's hope we will see footage of Miki's programs (and others, too, ofc)!

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
looking at the baby, Morozov sure isn't the father

I'm still hopeful for Miki's comeback
she still has a higher chance of doing well competing in Sochi compared to Miyahara or Suzuki

Lota

Record Breaker
Awww, congrats to her! Well, I looked at her twitter too and as it turns out Kiira Korpi congratulated her on Mother's Day, so I guess some people did know about it. Quite a lot of skaters probably.

Kiira Korpi Official ‏@kiirakorpi_fi 11 May

Happy Mothers day! Äidit on parhaita! ❤

Well, I hope both mom and baby are happy, wish all the happiness in the world and, well, that, if she indeed does skate this season, she'll be in top form!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Yes, skater friends no doubt were in the loop long before Ando's public announcement.

But no, Korpi did not spill the beans on Mother's Day, as far as I can tell. Her tweet was a general Mother's Day greeting to anyone and everyone in the Twitterverse -- not intended specifically for Ando.
Ando retweeted it, but whether she had a motive of mischievously acknowledging her new motherhood again is an open question. People retweet stuff all the time without any reason of deep significance.

In any case, congratulations to Mama and Baby Ando.