Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Miki Ando is now mother of a baby girl!

skating philosopher
    Well that explains A LOT.

If the baby was born in April, assuming that it wasn't premature, she would have been pregnant by August. In October, she said she dropped out of GP because she couldn't find a coach. I'm sure that being pregnant had a lot to do with it too.

In any case, a huge congrats to Miki and good luck to her in the upcoming season.

Custom Title
    I must've missed the news of her pregnancy beforehand, I guess...?
    Then, she's declared an Olympic comeback; how's she gonna manage this? I'm really worried for her health.

...BTW, she split with her ex-coach M less than a year ago, sometime between June-July. I hate myself for thinking up a hundred gossip-worthy possibilities.

Custom Title
    Wow--this is a surprise. Congrats to Miki. She looks so happy!

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    This seemed be have been kept very under wraps. Had anyone a hint about this?

Of course, I wish her luck, but can't imagine she can have a baby and make the Olympic team in a competitive country like Japan less than a year later.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by TontoK View Post
    Of course, I wish her luck, but can't imagine she can have a baby and make the Olympic team in a competitive country like Japan less than a year later.
    It will be hard with three strong women already. But in many sports like tennis (Kim Clijsters) and gymnastics (Oksana Chusovitina), mothers have made successful competitive returns.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bebevia View Post
    I must've missed the news of her pregnancy beforehand, I guess...?
    You didn't. Nobody even knew she was pregnant, let alone had a baby, until today
    How she managed to keep everything hidden from the media, I have no idea, but I guess JSF must have helped her in some way.

Custom Title
    Please, can someone translate the interview?

Thank you so much.

Custom Title
    Now, get ready for most difficult decision that JSF will have to do.

They have 4 great girls and only 3 spots. I just do not want to think Akiko not skating in Sochi.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by mateusp1 View Post
    Now, get ready for most difficult decision that JSF will have to do.

They have 4 great girls and only 3 spots. I just do not want to think Akiko not skating in Sochi.
    I guess the silver lining to all this is that if Akiko or Miki doesn't make it at least they had the opportunity in Vancouver. It's not a sad case of someone who NEVER made the Olympics.

Miserere Nobis
    Quote Originally Posted by TontoK View Post
    I see where you're coming from. Even if Japan's ladies' field was weaker, it would still be extremely difficult to get back into competitive shape in time. Women can gain up to 40 pounds while carrying a child; for a figure skater, that's a monstrous figure.

Good luck to Miki (a baby! Congratulations! ). I hope she does with her competitive career whatever feels appropriate.

Custom Title
    WOW. Didn't see that coming at all!! Yeah, it explains a lot about last season, I guess.
    Congratulations, Miki! And she looks stunning.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    I guess the silver lining to all this is that if Akiko or Miki doesn't make it at least they had the opportunity in Vancouver. It's not a sad case of someone who NEVER made the Olympics.
    I understand your point. But, do not forget that this will be Akiko's last chance. Kanako, Mao and Miki can still skate in 2018.

Custom Title
    Guys, do not forget that Miki is a rock solid skater. She is very consistent. Her SP with 3Lz+2Lo, 3Lo and 2A is hit almost every time.

Custom Title
    I understand your point. But, do not forget that this will be Akiko's last chance. Kanako, Mao and Miki can still skate in 2018.
    i doubt miki could even try to make it to 2018 since she would be 30 turning 31 that year. also with a little girl, it will get even harder to train.... but you are right in that it will definitely be akiko's last chance...

anyways, im worried how miki could get back into competitive form after having a baby. she must have had to take a long time off the ice for the safety of the baby. will she be able to regain her jumps so quick after such a long break from the ice...?

Miserere Nobis
    Miki probably can't. It's possible for Kanako and Mao, but I doubt they would want to. Mao has already announced that she'll be retiring after next season; Kanako, if she performs well at the Olympics, has expressed the same intention. They likely want to move onto another phase in their lives that isn't dominated by training and traveling and competing, and they'd need a pretty good reason to decide to stay on for four more years. Mao, for one, doesn't have much left to accomplish in the sport -- she's already written down as one of the greatest of all time, and while she could win more medals by continuing to compete after Sochi/2014 Worlds, that doesn't sound like something she would want to do.

Not to mention, in 2018, the younger generation (Kaetlyn, Gracie, Zijun, Adelina, Liza, Julia) will be grown up and toughened up. Mao and Kanako could very easily lose the edge that they have right now.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast