Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Miki Ando is now mother of a baby girl!

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    Doing more thinking on this. I don't think it's farfetched to believe she's done with competitive skating... because she will want to be.

Parenthood has a way of putting things in perspective, and a trip to Sochi might not be what she wants to focus on now.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    It will be hard with three strong women already. But in many sports like tennis (Kim Clijsters) and gymnastics (Oksana Chusovitina), mothers have made successful competitive returns.
    That's true. But the most recent example in skating is Isabelle Delobel in 2010, which didn't work out well. I must admit, I don't really know why Miki would want to come back now. A medal in Sochi is unlikely, even if she gets back in shape and makes the team. Yes, her jumps are solid when she's in shape. But she didn't have a 3/3 combination in 2011, or in the years leading up to that, as I recall. And she's certainly been surpassed in PCS by quite a few girls, including the Big 3 of course, Wagner, Korpi, Suzuki, and very possibly Murakami, Gold, or even Osmond. It's not impossible she could win a medal in Sochi, but I think she's much more likely to place somewhere around 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th. So why sacrifice time with her newborn when she's already been to the Olympics twice anyhow?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by plushyfan View Post
    Why is she crying?
    When she told about her pregnancy, there was (or, were) people around her at frist, saying something like 'there was other option to make'. And she had to convince her/him/them very hard that she wants the baby to be born. Poor Miki...

In this interview, what surprised me the most was Miki literally has never done off-ice trainings whole her career, so that she now is having hard time doing lots of off-ice trainings to regain her muscle strength.
    She started figure skating rahter late, IIRC, 9y.o. or 10y.o., and four years later she landed a quad Salchow in a competition. She said in the interview, "When I was younger, people asked me how I could do spins and triple jumps, but I did not know how to answer those questions, because I just could do them without much effort..." Ever since she had started figure skating, it's been almost no sweat for Miki to do spins and all triples is just AMAGING. Now I can believe and expect a real comeback from Miki Ando.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by deedee1 View Post
    If she is able to compete at Sochi, Miki will be the very first 'mother' single skater to compete at the Olympic Games!
    Zuzana (Paurova) Babiakova competed in singles figure skating the 2002 Olympics after giving birth in 2000.

I would not be surprised to learn that one or more women who competed in singles skating in any of the pre-WWII Olympics were mothers, but I haven't done the research to determine whether that is or is not the case.

When she told about her pregnancy, there was (or, were) people around her at frist, saying something like 'there was other option to make'. And she had to convince her/him/them very hard that she wants the baby to be born. Poor Miki...

In this interview, what surprised me the most was Miki literally has never done off-ice trainings whole her career, so that she now is having hard time doing lots of off-ice trainings to regain her muscle strength.
    She started figure skating rahter late, IIRC, 9y.o. or 10y.o., and four years later she landed a quad Salchow in a competition. She said in the interview, "When I was younger, people asked me how I could do spins and triple jumps, but I did not know how to answer those questions, because I just could do them without much effort..." Ever since she had started figure skating, it's been almost no sweat for Miki to do spins and all triples is just AMAGING. Now I can believe and expect a real comeback from Miki Ando.
    Thank you deedee! I believe it was a good decision that gave birth to a baby girl.

Custom Title
    Congratulations to Miki; what a beautiful mother she is!!

can't come down to Earth prettykeys's Avatar
    Thank you for the explanation. Miki looks radiant and peaceful. Congrats to her.

Congratulations to Miki! Surprising but wonderful news!

However, congratulations to Miki and good luck!

Custom Title
    Congrats to Miki and her baby. Tough road ahead for her, though.

Congrats to Miki - very strong and positive person
    My best wishes for a joyful life for her and wondeful baby

Custom Title
    When she told about her pregnancy, there was (or, were) people around her at frist, saying something like 'there was other option to make'. And she had to convince her/him/them very hard that she wants the baby to be born.
    What a brave woman to stand by this. Thank you for letting us know! Best wishes for Miki.

I think there are a few out there that had that late start to success. 'Wonder what they'd been like had they started earlier. Then again, we also have late bloomers who quit or are injured before the time comes, and those who never tried the sport to discover the talent. Of course, that's with everything in the world. Thank goodness she put the skates on.

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA CaroLiza_fan's Avatar
    My Ukrainian friend on Facebook just posted YouTube links to a longer version of the interview with Miki (Thanks Ira). The person that uploaded it has posted it in 2 parts:

Part 1 (14 minutes)

Part 2 (4 minutes)

Both parts of the video have quite a long summary of the story as the description, which is very interesting when it is translated from the Japanese.

Again, best wishes to Miki and her wee girl

CaroLiza_fan

On the Ice
    very surprised!

But again the question: who could be the father? Someone, who is involved in figure skating (coach, choreographer, athlet), from the media or a hidden boy-friend? I have really no idea? What do you think? Any speculation?

One does not simply skate into Sochi MaiKatze's Avatar
    This is really a big surprise. And that she was able to keep such a big life changing thing like pregnancy and giving birth to herself is even more amazing. Awesome. And so good for her that she seemed to have her priorities in life straight no matter what others said to her. Congratulations! She is certainly a strong woman who goes her own way, and also is quite legendary already even if we never see her on a podium internationally again.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast