Miki Ando is now mother of a baby girl! | Golden Skate

Miki Ando is now mother of a baby girl!

minze

Medalist
Congrats. Question: single motherhood is accepted by the japanese? I asked this question because in South America single mothers are still look down too in this day and age

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Miki Ando had a baby in April!!!

I was just on Facebook, and my Ukrainian friend posted a link to this story on the website of the Japanese edition of Vogue (Thanks Ira!)

http://health-beauty.vogue.co.jp/archives/1145

The story is in Japanese, but it is easily enough translated.

Apparently Miki had the baby in April, but only announced it in a TV interview today. Here is a link to the video on YouTube (Again, thanks to Ira): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_F-d8kAjKSI

Unfortunately, there is no English translation on the video, but there are some lovely shots of Miki and the baby towards the end (roughly around the 5 minute mark)

Well, at least that would explain why we haven't heard anything from Miki in the past year.

Congratulations Miki! I hope you and the baby are both well, and I hope you enjoy Motherhood.

Gordon

gmyers

Record Breaker
I might assume that there might be a lack of caring about single motherhood at this point because the Japanese birthrate was so low as almost to be country damaging! there might still be conservative finger wagging though.

Congrats to her!

deedee1

Record Breaker
Congrats. Question: single motherhood is accepted by the japanese? I asked this question because in South America single mothers are still look down too in this day and age

Exactly my concern...J-media, especially nasty paparazzi will be crazy to follow her everywhere, since she has not disclose the name of baby's father. :no:
But boy, she was so beautiful in that interview. It's been a while I saw her such calm, peaceful and relaxed in front of TV cameras, actually. Mother ROCKS! Best of luck to Miki in the new season! :party:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Exactly my concern...J-media, especially nasty paparazzi will be crazy to follow her everywhere, since she has not disclose the name of baby's father. :no:
But boy, she was so beautiful in that interview. It's been a while I saw her such calm, peaceful and relaxed in front of TV cameras, actually. Mother ROCKS! Best of luck to Miki in the new season! :party:
Thank you, deedee! I wish the best to them!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Well that explains A LOT.

If the baby was born in April, assuming that it wasn't premature, she would have been pregnant by August. In October, she said she dropped out of GP because she couldn't find a coach. I'm sure that being pregnant had a lot to do with it too.

In any case, a huge congrats to Miki and good luck to her in the upcoming season.

bebevia

On the Ice
I must've missed the news of her pregnancy beforehand, I guess...?
Then, she's declared an Olympic comeback; how's she gonna manage this? I'm really worried for her health.

...BTW, she split with her ex-coach M less than a year ago, sometime between June-July. I hate myself for thinking up a hundred gossip-worthy possibilities.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This seemed be have been kept very under wraps. Had anyone a hint about this?

Of course, I wish her luck, but can't imagine she can have a baby and make the Olympic team in a competitive country like Japan less than a year later.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Of course, I wish her luck, but can't imagine she can have a baby and make the Olympic team in a competitive country like Japan less than a year later.

It will be hard with three strong women already. But in many sports like tennis (Kim Clijsters) and gymnastics (Oksana Chusovitina), mothers have made successful competitive returns.