Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 345

Thread: Czisny preparing for one last run at Olympic glory

  1. #46
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,379
    Quote Originally Posted by LRK View Post
    Which things she can no doubt do AFTER she eventually stops skating as a whatever-year-old. For instance, if she retires after this season - which is very likely - what difference will one year have done, really? Why shouldn't she try?
    because it will be a waste and she will use skating assignments that should go to younger newcomers

  2. #47
    Miserere Nobis
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Texas Darling
    Posts
    1,529
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    because it will be a waste and she will use skating assignments that should go to younger newcomers
    "Should go"? What have the newcomers (Cesario, etc.) done to earn the assignments? As a two-time national champion and top US lady, Alissa is the one who "should go" -- since, by your reasoning, if this is the younger girls' first chance, then this is Alissa's LAST chance.

  3. #48
    Spiral Lover tulosai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    2,834
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFish View Post
    "Should go"? What have the newcomers (Cesario, etc.) done to earn the assignments? As a two-time national champion and top US lady, Alissa is the one who "should go" -- since, by your reasoning, if this is the younger girls' first chance, then this is Alissa's LAST chance.
    This. I generally think assignments should go to those who deserve/earn them. I believe Alissa has earned this chance. The newcomers will still be here next year and in many ways that is a more 'logical' time for them to start building- at the beginning of a new cycle.

    Now, do I think Alissa should use these spots if she is blatantly not in shape? No. If, for instance, she took some spots and she was only able to land double jumps, and her spins were gone I would think that was wrong. But it doesn't sound like that is the case. In addition, it appears at least somewhat likely that she will have to go through regionals and sectionals (or at least one of them)- quite literally earning her spot. If she can do so, that is no concern of anyone else's.

  4. #49
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,683
    Well her jumps looked rather gone in shows so I am not sure she deserves to go to ie GP if that is the case. Some would argue she has pulled a Rachel Flatt; Alyssa has been given many chances but has not capitalize yet.

  5. #50
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,549
    If she doesn't go to the GP she still HAS to do Regionals and Sectionals to qualify for Nationals. If she is able to qualify, then she deserves to try for an Olympic berth.

    Anyway, the only GP slot she could get would be SA. The alternate list is based on the Seasons Best standings, and Alissa isn't on SB as she didn't compete in a GP or ISU Championship in 2012-2013, so she couldn't get a second GP.

    If USFS gives Alissa the SA TBA, that would get Alissa out of Regionals. USFS could also send her to an International B in November, thus getting her out of Sectionals. However, I would hate to see USFS do that, as it would show blatant favoritism towards Alissa. I think USFS should take those actions ONLY if Alissa participates in at least two summer events AND skates well.

  6. #51
    Down With It
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,538
    If USFS gives Alissa the SA TBA, that would get Alissa out of Regionals. USFS could also send her to an International B in November, thus getting her out of Sectionals. However, I would hate to see USFS do that,
    ^ You know they would...

  7. #52
    Miserere Nobis
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Texas Darling
    Posts
    1,529
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    Well her jumps looked rather gone in shows so I am not sure she deserves to go to ie GP if that is the case. Some would argue she has pulled a Rachel Flatt; Alyssa has been given many chances but has not capitalize yet.
    Alissa dislocated her hip after falling in a show, which took her out of Nationals. I doubt that she'd want to risk it again by attempting any difficult jumps...Shows are usually bad indicators of how far along a skater really is. I've seen both Yuna and Gracie, in shows, mess up elements that they could do in their sleep.

    She won a GPF and 2 US titles. How is that, in any way, failing to capitalize on her chances? I understand that she slipped in 2012, but in 2011, she WAS the uncontested leader of the US ladies -- Ashley was nowhere to be seen, Mirai was already struggling with her jumps, and Rachael was on the decline due to her injuries.

  8. #53
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,549
    It isn't as if USFS giving Alissa SA is necessarily a good thing. SA is just 14 weeks away, and if she is just starting to work triple jumps in isolation, she has a long way to go to integrate those jumps into two programs and be able to perform those programs at a competitive level. The danger for Alissa skating in SA is a poor performance before ISU judges. If she falters at SA, the judges will be reminded of her 2012 Worlds performance and that could further hurt her reputation and her PCS scores.

    That's why I feel that Alissa needs to show she is in competition shape by skating well in some summer events. If she isn't ready to do that, then a GP event should not be her first competition in the 18 months since Worlds 2012. She would be better off making her competitive debut at Regionals where a few mistakes wouldn't be held against her.

  9. #54
    Miserere Nobis
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Texas Darling
    Posts
    1,529
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    It isn't as if USFS giving Alissa SA is necessarily a good thing. SA is just 14 weeks away, and if she is just starting to work triple jumps in isolation, she has a long way to go to integrate those jumps into two programs and be able to perform those programs at a competitive level. The danger for Alissa skating in SA is a poor performance before ISU judges. If she falters at SA, the judges will be reminded of her 2012 Worlds performance and that could further hurt her reputation and her PCS scores.

    That's why I feel that Alissa needs to show she is in competition shape by skating well in some summer events. If she isn't ready to do that, then a GP event should not be her first competition in the 18 months since Worlds 2012. She would be better off making her competitive debut at Regionals where a few mistakes wouldn't be held against her.
    I agree, so I'm posing this question sincerely: If Alissa does not receive the open slot at SA, then who else, in your mind, deserves it?

  10. #55
    At the rink. Again. mskater93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,193
    Quote Originally Posted by b-man View Post
    In addition to your outrage, imagine the outrage Gao, Nagasu, Agnes would have if they outskate a Hicks or a Wang, yet were nevertheless somehow passed over for a trip to Sochi as suggested by mskater 93. All three have been skating to a high level over the last 3 years, yet none has made a world team in 3 years. Christina has given up a year at Harvard and surely expects to be treated fairly. I am sure Nagasu's family is not rolling in bucks and is sacrificing to continue skating. Agnes has been third the last two years, and probably believes the 3rd spot is rightfully hers (despite subpar international results). The judging in Omaha was certainly suspect, and the US Fed would be wise to not have a second year in a row on National TV with suspect judging.
    I think you all misunderstood what I meant by my post. Not surprising. What I meant was that IF a Wang or Hicks or Miller or Edmunds really have a great fall season and kill it at Nationals, there is a luxury to let the placement fall as they "rightfully" should (let's say one of the unknowns who haven't had senior interationals or limited exposure ends up 3rd) and Czsiny/Nagasu/Gao 4th or 5th because (assuming they aren't injured or bomb at Nationals) Wagner and Gold can carry their weight (more than likely) at the Olympics and Worlds.

  11. #56
    At the rink. Again. mskater93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,193
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFish View Post
    I agree, so I'm posing this question sincerely: If Alissa does not receive the open slot at SA, then who else, in your mind, deserves it?
    If Hicks isn't doing JGP events, she does. If not, I'd say someone who is amazing (surprising) at GF (International Committee summer selection comp)

  12. #57
    Miserere Nobis
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Texas Darling
    Posts
    1,529
    Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    If Hicks isn't doing JGP events, she does. If not, I'd say someone who is amazing (surprising) at GF (International Committee summer selection comp)
    I think Hicks said in an interview that she's staying on the JGP this year. With Radionova and Pogorilaya moving up, the American girls will have a good chance of dominating.

  13. #58
    At the rink. Again. mskater93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,193
    Then, hopefully, someone really surprises at GF in August and gets the spot!!

  14. #59
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,379
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFish View Post
    "Should go"? What have the newcomers (Cesario, etc.) done to earn the assignments? As a two-time national champion and top US lady, Alissa is the one who "should go" -- since, by your reasoning, if this is the younger girls' first chance, then this is Alissa's LAST chance.
    earned, she didn't earn it too as she withdrew and didn't get assignments from her injury
    you are saying she should be merited because she is a two time national champion ? let have none quad jumping Lysacek too then
    Gracie and Wagner will beat her anyways

    getting SA host pick and splatting all over the place isn't that more humiliating

  15. #60
    Miserere Nobis
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Texas Darling
    Posts
    1,529
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    earned, she didn't earn it too as she withdrew and didn't get assignments from her injury
    you are saying she should be merited because she is a two time national champion ? let have none quad jumping Lysacek too then
    Gracie and Wagner will beat her anyways

    getting SA host pick and splatting all over the place isn't that more humiliating
    So you've been watching Evan's daily practices with Frank Carroll? Do share your impressions.

    You're predicting that Alissa will humiliate herself; fine. Please answer my question, then. Which of the US ladies (who doesn't already have two assignments) has accomplished as much as, or more than, Alissa -- and therefore "deserves" the SA opening more?

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •