Czisny preparing for one last run at Olympic glory | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Czisny preparing for one last run at Olympic glory

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Alissa doesn't need that many Triples to score well. She has the best spins and will get great PCS if she delivers the performance level she's capable of. 3Lutz+2Toe, 2Axel, 3Toe is fine for the SP. She just needs to put the 2nd and 3rd jumping passes in the second half of the SP to maximize the points. That's actually the layout I'd want her to be doing anyway, unless she learned to consistently do a 3Flip or 3Loop directly preceded by a transition. In the past she's never been able to do a good transition before those jumps and consistently execute them; the judges should be punishing that in the SP since it's required for the solo Triple.

Alissa used to start her SP's with spins. She should really do that again, it's the best choreographic option for her abilities. This is something that her programs haven't actually utilized very well the past seasons - she has been doing the combo spin and layback back-to-back in the SP and also her variety of positions in the spins has been a bit underwhelming considering what she's capable of (for the LP she really needs to do another change-of-foot combination spin instead of just a flying camel). We'll definitely be seeing more positions from her again, now that the "8 revolutions in one position" feature can only be used once in a whole program, but it's too bad that she didn't already utilize other options in the past. These are the details that are necessary for masterpiece programs.

The typical Alissa SP should go like this:

*Flying Camel Spin (butterfly entry --> change of edge --> donut --> upwards catch-foot)
*3Lutz+2Toe
*Change-of-Foot Combination Spin (forward camel--> pike sit position --> layback ---> back camel ---> corkscrew sit --> upright "V")
----
*2Axel
*Spiral Sequence (shorter duration than in the past since it's no longer a required element, but definitely 2 positions still...really sad how this element has been abandoned)
*3Toe, preceded by steps
*"Straightline" Footwork Sequence (longer duration than in the past since going for Level 4 is important now)
*Layback Spin (classic position --> sideways position --> haircutter --> beillman for 8+ revolutions)

I think that hoping to get at least third at Nationals is not at all an impossible dream for Alissa, health permitting. As Blades of Passion outlines above, she can score points without having a full complement of difficult jumps and combinations. She could help herself if she worked on her speed -- but at this point in her career she is not going to make huge changes in her style and delivery. As always, land the jumps, land the jumps, land the jumps.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Alissa doesn't need that many Triples to score well. She has the best spins and will get great PCS if she delivers the performance level she's capable of. 3Lutz+2Toe, 2Axel, 3Toe is fine for the SP. She just needs to put the 2nd and 3rd jumping passes in the second half of the SP to maximize the points. That's actually the layout I'd want her to be doing anyway, unless she learned to consistently do a 3Flip or 3Loop directly preceded by a transition. In the past she's never been able to do a good transition before those jumps and consistently execute them; the judges should be punishing that in the SP since it's required for the solo Triple.

Alissa used to start her SP's with spins. She should really do that again, it's the best choreographic option for her abilities. This is something that her programs haven't actually utilized very well the past seasons - she has been doing the combo spin and layback back-to-back in the SP and also her variety of positions in the spins has been a bit underwhelming considering what she's capable of (for the LP she really needs to do another change-of-foot combination spin instead of just a flying camel). We'll definitely be seeing more positions from her again, now that the "8 revolutions in one position" feature can only be used once in a whole program, but it's too bad that she didn't already utilize other options in the past. These are the details that are necessary for masterpiece programs.

The typical Alissa SP should go like this:

*Flying Camel Spin (butterfly entry --> change of edge --> donut --> upwards catch-foot)
*3Lutz+2Toe
*Change-of-Foot Combination Spin (forward camel--> pike sit position --> layback ---> back camel ---> corkscrew sit --> upright "V")
----
*2Axel
*Spiral Sequence (shorter duration than in the past since it's no longer a required element, but definitely 2 positions still...really sad how this element has been abandoned)
*3Toe, preceded by steps
*"Straightline" Footwork Sequence (longer duration than in the past since going for Level 4 is important now)
*Layback Spin (classic position --> sideways position --> haircutter --> beillman for 8+ revolutions)
:agree: With a 30+ PCS and all level 4 spins with +2/+3 GOEs, she could easily score 60+ even with a solo 3T, I agree! (and, the idea pf starting her program with a spin is really good)

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
And PCS through the roof.

The +10 points in GOE in her free skate didn't hurt either.

As much I want Alissa to have the skate of her life at a major competition, Alissa =/= Carolina.

Do we know which competitions Alissa has entered for this year?

As Chuckm pointed out up thread the only comp. she is in is a local club competition and possibly Cup of Nice. I guess Cup of Nice might allow her to reach the TES required for competing at the Olympics provided she makes the U. S. team. She doesn't have any GP events and won't get any at this point (I don't think). Last season she wasn't able to compete at Nationals because of her hip injury.

It also seems that she will have to compete at her regionals Upper Great Lakes, and sections Midwesterns to qualify for Nationals.

Sk8Boi

Match Penalty
Her return last year was not complete or impressive, and this season, although early-on, it does not appear Alissa is ready to compete with the world's best at the Olympics.

Sorry. She does not seem ready at all.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As Chuckm pointed out up thread the only comp. she is in is a local club competition and possibly Cup of Nice. I guess Cup of Nice might allow her to reach the TES required for competing at the Olympics provided she makes the U. S. team. She doesn't have any GP events and won't get any at this point (I don't think). Last season she wasn't able to compete at Nationals because of her hip injury.

It also seems that she will have to compete at her regionals Upper Great Lakes, and sections Midwesterns to qualify for Nationals.

Since Alissa didn't compete in any 2012-2013 GP events or 2013 ISU Championships, she wasn't on the Seasons Best list and therefore ineligible for GP invitations. She could have received a US host pick for SA, but was not chosen, probably because she wasn't ready. Substitutes are selected from the SB list, so Alissa couldn't get a GP that way.

Blades, thanks for constructing a suggested program. I'd love to see Alissa skate the heck out of something like that and just end her career well at Nationals. One problem with Alissa is that she has two crucial weaknesses: her jumps, and her mental toughness. Either one of those weaknesses alone, combined with her substantial strengths (interpretation, and the best spins in the world right now), might make a medal doable. Both of those weaknesses in tandem make things look less promising. And I say this as a huge Alissa fan with hopes that have not diminished.

^ I don't knpw that I would agree about the mental toughness issue. She gets nervous when she jumps, true (but not as nervous as I get when Alissa jumps ;) ) But she never bails, she never backs off, she never changes a triple into a double, she never pulls back from her planned program when things are not going well. Even at 2012 worlds, where she fell on every jump, she still got up and attacked the next one with determination.

Does Alissa deserve an Olympic berth ahead of some up-and-comer? That's what we will find out next January. Young or old, over-the-hill or new kid on the block, come and skate for it. :yes:

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Mental toughness = ability to compete under pressure, to skate your best when it counts most.

Something Czisny doesn't necessarily have in spades, and I think the vast majority of us can agree there...

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sorry, I don't see Alissa as mentally tough. I've been to several US championships and seen her up close. When she approaches a jump she has doubts about, she signals her doubt to all by slowing. That habit is what makes watchers hold their collective breath, and it also contributes to jump failure.

That was the old Alissa. This is the new, improved, nothing to lose, devil may care Alissa. :yes:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Afraid not. This is the 26-years-old Alissa who's recovering from her second surgery in the past year and who can no longer do a 3lo. In her last competition a little over a year ago, she fell on a 3f and dislocated her hip. So I rather doubt she's suddenly flinging her cares to the wind.

Icey

Record Breaker
^ I don't knpw that I would agree about the mental toughness issue. She gets nervous when she jumps, true (but not as nervous as I get when Alissa jumps ;) ) But she never bails, she never backs off, she never changes a triple into a double, she never pulls back from her planned program when things are not going well. Even at 2012 worlds, where she fell on every jump, she still got up and attacked the next one with determination.

Does Alissa deserve an Olympic berth ahead of some up-and-comer? That's what we will find out next January. Young or old, over-the-hill or new kid on the block, come and skate for it. :yes:

I think her problem is that she doesn't attack her jumps with determination. She almost always seems tentative me.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Not quite true. Alissa has had a history of constantly changing the layout of her programs. In the 2010-2011 season this was the case starting with the GP, at US Nationals, etc. Mind you, this was Alissa's best season ever internationally.

2010 Skate Canada FS:
3z+2t, 3f+2t, 3f, 3lo, 3t, 2a, 3t (fall)

2010 TEB FS:
3z+2t, 3f+2t, 3t, 3lo-hd, 3f (fall), 2a<, 1t

2010 GPF:
3z+2t, 3f+2t, 3s, 3lo, 3z, 2a, 3t

2011 Nationals:
PLANNED: 3z+2t, 3f+2t, 3t, 3lo, 3f, 2a, 3t+2t+2t
EXECUTED: 3z+2t, 3f, 3t+2t+2lo, 3lo<, 3z+2t, 2a, 3t

2011 4CC
3z+2t, 3fe<<(fall), 3t+2t+2lo, 3lo, 3z<<, 2a, 3t<+2t

2011 Worlds
3z (fall), 3fe+2t, 3t+2t+2lo, 3lo, 3z+2t, 2a, 3t

In other events at other times, Alissa has doubled intended triples, perhaps out of nervousness or just a tentative takeoff.

So all the things you say she never does, she HAS done. It doesn't make much sense to put a halo over her past performances. We haven't seen her skate since the Worlds 2012 debacle. Let's not have unreasonable expectations for her when she opens the season with her club competition this coming Friday.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Yeah, let's not let facts get in the way...she's just so pwetty :rofl: oh man.

I quit :slink:

Regardless, we shall see. We can talk, but the skating walks...

If she were just pretty, I would simply wish her well and wait for her to start her modeling career or some other glamorous second life. But she's one of the best and most graceful spinners ever, and when I watch her, I see something no other skater can do. So I hope she can continue in some way in skating, probably as a pro, and that her competitive career ends with some version of a satisfactory result.