Czisny preparing for one last run at Olympic glory | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Czisny preparing for one last run at Olympic glory

ForeverFish

Medalist
Then, hopefully, someone really surprises at GF in August and gets the spot!! :)

I'd like to see Alissa at GF. Whether or not she gets the spot is another story, but seeing as how she's an inconsistent skater coming back from two big hip injuries, she'll probably need a lower-level competition with less pressure to get her head back in the game.

The USFS may have faith in her yet. I doubt they'd want her to waste her time at Regionals and Sectionals when she must know before Nationals how she compares to the rest of the top ladies.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Then, hopefully, someone really surprises at GF in August and gets the spot!! :)

That's how it should be. If Alissa is able to skate at Glacier Falls and does well, then I don't think most people would begrudge her the SA spot.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'd like to see Alissa at GF. Whether or not she gets the spot is another story, but seeing as how she's an inconsistent skater coming back from two big hip injuries, she'll probably need a lower-level competition with less pressure to get her head back in the game.

The USFS may have faith in her yet. I doubt they'd want her to waste her time at Regionals and Sectionals when she must know before Nationals how she compares to the rest of the top ladies.

The point is Alissa needs to demonstrate that she is back in competition shape well before SA. If she avoids the summer comps because she isn't ready, then it would be better for her to do Regionals rather than an international as her first event in 18 months. I don't think it's a waste of time for Alissa to do a preliminary competition for Nationals considering that it's been so long since she has competed.

Alissa herself is not a competent judge of her own readiness, given how poorly she skated at a competition a few weeks before Worlds 2012, and then went on to skate even more poorly at Worlds. She also believed she was ready for Nationals 2013, but her hip gave out just weeks before that.

Last year, Alissa did not do Regionals or Sectionals but she didn't have to, since she had been 2nd at 2012 Nationals. I am sure USFS was monitoring her during her first recovery period, and is probably monitoring her now. If they do send her to SA without her doing any summer comps, it would be because the private monitoring sessions cleared her. However, USFS also cleared Michelle Kwan in private monitoring sessions before 2006 Olympics, and we all know how that turned out.

ForeverFish

Medalist
The point is Alissa needs to demonstrate that she is back in competition shape well before SA. If she avoids the summer comps because she isn't ready, then it would be better for her to do Regionals rather than an international as her first event in 18 months. I don't think it's a waste of time for Alissa to do a preliminary competition for Nationals considering that it's been so long since she has competed.

Alissa herself is not a competent judge of her own readiness, given how poorly she skated at a competition a few weeks before Worlds 2012, and then went on to skate even more poorly at Worlds. She also believed she was ready for Nationals 2013, but her hip gave out just weeks before that.

Last year, Alissa did not do Regionals or Sectionals but she didn't have to, since she had been 2nd at 2012 Nationals. I am sure USFS was monitoring her during her first recovery period, and is probably monitoring her now. If they do send her to SA without her doing any summer comps, it would be because the private monitoring sessions cleared her. However, USFS also cleared Michelle Kwan in private monitoring sessions before 2006 Olympics, and we all know how that turned out.

In an ideal scenario, Alissa would compete at Glacier Falls, earn the SA spot, and perform decently there (top five, perhaps a dark horse for the bronze medal if she's really made progress). Then she would be sent to a November B, taking her out of Sectionals -- because, realistically, she won't gain anything from competing against girls who have little to no chance of skating in the Olympics or even competing on her level.

Skating internationally in the fall would serve two advantages. One, it would prepare Alissa for the possibility that she DOES make the Olympic team. If she abstains from SA and senior B's, and then wins the third ladies' spot at Nationals, she'll be in for a hideous shock at Four Continents (which I'm sure the USFS would want her to attend) and in Sochi. She might not be in perfect competitive shape in October/November, but the lesser evil is to give her a reality check (advantage #2) sooner rather than later. That way, she can either withdraw her comeback or decide to continue as she so pleases.

It's good to know that the USFS is keeping up with Alissa's progress. I can't imagine who else they would throw onto a ridiculously competitive GP in the Olympic season, when Alissa has made it clear through interviews and practice reports that she's intent on getting the third spot.

mskater93

Record Breaker
I would more suspect we'll see her working her way through Regionals and Sectionals, and that may be even more to her benefit than a GP/Senior B. EGL's hasn't been notoriously strong in Senior Ladies in recent years, so if she's gotten back only one or two triples and the 2A by then, she'll make her way through to Sectionals without having to put undue stress on her recovery/jumping repetoire and trying to land 5-6 triples in a LP. It would be a much more measured approach. But, we'll see what USFS does. Who knows, maybe CARLY Gold will go to GF and put up a huge score and get the TBD host pick there because she'd be a great story for the media. :)

R.D.

Record Breaker

To be fair to Czisny...I don't think she is unique in this regard. I believe the mind of the athlete can be very deceiving. You can convince yourself you can do something when you are simply incapable of doing so physically. This can be a positive, because it gives you that extra edge that allows you to reach new heights and break records. But it can also be a nemesis...because it is this very mentality that can lead to career-ending injury if you don't know when to stop...

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
USFS will NOT be sending the Sochi-bound athletes to 4CC. They've never done it, and won't do it this cycle. First of all, 4CC is in Taiwan, half a world away from the US, and going there pretty much takes a week to 10 days out of a skater's training regimen, given jet lag, time spent on planes, and limited practice sessions. And 4CC ends on 1/26, just 12 days before the start of the Olympics. You'd have jet lag in both directions (from Taiwan to home and from home to Sochi) and again, lost practice time due to plane travel and jet lag. NOT going to happen! The B team will be going to Taiwan, not the Sochi team.

LRK

Record Breaker
Does Alissa have the minimum TES? I mean, seeing as she did not compete last season? If so, she will have to compete internationally somewhere, if for no other reason than to acquire it.

ForeverFish

Medalist
USFS will NOT be sending the Sochi-bound athletes to 4CC. They've never done it, and won't do it this cycle. First of all, 4CC is in Taiwan, half a world away from the US, and going there pretty much takes a week to 10 days out of a skater's training regimen, given jet lag, time spent on planes, and limited practice sessions. And 4CC ends on 1/26, just 12 days before the start of the Olympics. You'd have jet lag in both directions (from Taiwan to home and from home to Sochi) and again, lost practice time due to plane travel and jet lag. NOT going to happen! The B team will be going to Taiwan, not the Sochi team.

Thanks for clearing that up. Still, then, I (and probably most others) wouldn't want Alissa's FIRST international competition in nearly two years to be the Olympics...

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
So you've been watching Evan's daily practices with Frank Carroll? Do share your impressions.

You're predicting that Alissa will humiliate herself; fine. Please answer my question, then. Which of the US ladies (who doesn't already have two assignments) has accomplished as much as, or more than, Alissa -- and therefore "deserves" the SA opening more?

:rolleye: your really banking on Evans "competitive" return

even B rate skaters like Zawadzki or Gao can potentially outskate and outscore Czisny now.

ForeverFish

Medalist
:rolleye: your really banking on Evans "competitive" return

even B rate skaters like Zawadzki or Gao can potentially outskate and outscore Czisny now.

Nah, I'm not banking on anything. I'm not much of a betting man.

Zawadzki and Gao already have two GPs each, so you still haven't answered the question as to who should get the SA spot in Czisny's place.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks for clearing that up. Still, then, I (and probably most others) wouldn't want Alissa's FIRST international competition in nearly two years to be the Olympics...

Alissa would have to do a "B" International sometime this fall to earn the minimum TES and qualify to compete at Sochi. Of course, a "B" doesn't have the same pressure as a GP or an ISU Championship event.

b-man

Final Flight

Good point chuckm. I seem to remember at least some of the world team going to 4 CC the last 3 years. In 2010, the 4CC team was Zhang, Dobbs, and Gilles, none from the Olympic/World team. You are spot on and ahead of the game.

ForeverFish

Medalist
Alissa would have to do a "B" International sometime this fall to earn the minimum TES and qualify to compete at Sochi. Of course, a "B" doesn't have the same pressure as a GP or an ISU Championship event.

Yeah. So even if she doesn't get the GP spot and has to compete in Regionals, it would be a better use (IMO, as always) of her time to skip Sectionals for a B event.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

didn't that almost happen with that other flexible, artistic and graceful skater - Sasha Cohen.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
But Sasha DID have an injury during her too-compressed preparation for the Olympics, an injury that kept her out of the two GP events for which she had been scheduled. Her first performance was at Nationals and it was clear from practice on that she was having problems landing the flip. She skated a good SP but struggled through her FS and didn't qualify for Vancouver, finishing 4th.

tulosai

Record Breaker
But Sasha DID have an injury during her too-compressed preparation for the Olympics, an injury that kept her out of the two GP events for which she had been scheduled. Her first performance was at Nationals and it was clear from practice on that she was having problems landing the flip. She skated a good SP but struggled through her FS and didn't qualify for Vancouver, finishing 4th.

I also think Sasha had a better grasp of what was going on with her body than Czisny sometimes seems to- she took a lot of crap on many forums with people accusing her of her comeback being fake etc when she dropped out of the GP, but really, in retrospect, it's pretty clear she understood what her body was telling her and listened to it. She also was ready for nationals- she didn't skate well enough to make the team, but she did skate well enough to earn 4th (and not controversially either) which is no real shame. It remains to be seen whether Alyssa can really understand what her body is telling her and make herself as ready as she can within those parameters. I certainly hope so (and as a fan of hers I mean that with all my heart), but the past doesn't bode well. on that count

Either way, time will tell.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Cohen was actually on the right track but simply ran out of time. She should have started her comeback much earlier...like during the 2008-09 season, even if she didn't actually compete.

Then again, it's possible that physical reasons prevented her from doing so. She already had a great career (especially by the standards of today's US women) at that point, even if she fell short of the ultimate achievement (OGM).

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
OK, while we're assigning SA spots, how about Samantha Cesario? I doubt either Rachael or Alissa will be skating better than Samantha.

Samantha is no longer eligible for the JGP, and did better at JR Worlds than Hicks, which would be the most recent competition for both.

Last edited: