Czisny preparing for one last run at Olympic glory | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Czisny preparing for one last run at Olympic glory

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Czisny had way more than an outside shot in 2006. She fell twice in the short program and was still placed over Meissner with 1 lesser mistake. Had she done a decent long she would have easily made it. Of course easily beaten Hughes, and probably beaten Meissner and not even had to wait for a Kwan WD.

I would say 2006 and 2010 were both great shots. She simply had to skate a clean short (well in 06 not even a clean short) and a decent long and the judges would have put her on those teams for sure. This time around she is a huge long shot and would need the skate of her life to get that 3rd spot. She is no longer a USFSA pet or priority at this point, and her jumping and overall power and basic skating skills (as far as speed, attack, security) pale in comparision to many at the top of U.S skating now even if she skates well.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Who would Alissa have replaced in 2010? I guess Nagasu, even though she should have won that title. Makes you wonder what shenanigans are going on leading up to Sochi. I just hope Alissa can show she can make Nationals (which is a pretty darn good achievement, to be the best 20 skaters in the country).

Obviously Nagasu who had 3 downgrades, and came 3rd in the LP behind Wagner who would have made the team over her if she didnt fall in the short, would have been bumped off the team for a decent Czisny. Mind you Flatt was easily beatable for Czisny too, especialy as Czisny beat her for the 2009 title with only 3 triples in the LP. Had someone else beaten Flatt, then it would have been Flatt that Czisny would have knocked off. There was no serious obstacles to Czisny making the team that year except herself. Same in 2006 (Cohen was in her way but obviously wouldnt keep her off the team).

Czisny did not win the GPF in 2006. She won a Grand Prix event and took 2nd place in another to qualify for the Grand Prix final.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Right - point is, in 2010 Czisny controlled her own destiny. Stand up, and you're on the team. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your POV), she couldn't manage it...she self-destructed under the pressure. Frankly, what she DOESN'T want is to pull a Worlds 2012 on the Olympic stage. Perhaps like for so many others it was just not meant to be for her. Maybe there is a reason.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Yes, I remember, Alissa made GPF in 2006, but set herself up so nicely for the Olympic team. She and Sasha were basically the talk at Nats in 2006 which I attended. She had a spot GIVEN to her if she didn't implode. And implode she did. I think this was the best year for her to make an Olympic team. Everyone knew Kwan was injured and unable to compete, so you were competing for two spots (Sasha was a given). I was more a fan of Emily than Kimmie, but it was a no-brainer. Alissa stands up she goes to the Olympics. And then she falls five times. And this was after all her technical adjustment with Brian Boitano, whatever that meant. I mean, how does someone go out on a national stage and fall like that??? Tara Lipinski had her "furies" or whatever, but she got the job done. How disheartening to be practically given TWO Olympic spots only to crumble and lose both of them. At this point, I wish Alissa well, and just don't want her to injure herself again and have to be carried off an ice rink during competition. I wish good health and a great life outside of competitive skating. I don't think I can bear to watch her go for those jump elements anymore. She's always fallen, ever since I saw her in 2000 at Nats, but now those falls might interrupt a very vital and successful life she has ahead of her. I'm torn. I think my labrum will tear if I see her skate.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
So the point is she had not just one, but TWO Olympics she only had so skate up and skate credability to make. She blew both. This year around is not the case at all, and she would have to pull a minor miracle to make it, although it isnt 100% impossible like Flatt's comeback.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Here are the results:http://www.usfigureskating.org/lead...14_eastern_great_lakes_regionals/SEGM019.html

Alissa did not do a single triple: 3Z was <<, combo was 2T-2T and a 2A. Spins were good as always, Level 2 step sequence, but solid GOE

But it's worth noting that at 20.59 base value was the 5th lowest, but managed to get the second highest TES due to GOE on her spins and steps. She got the highest PCS by far.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Czisny should EASILY get through this round even if she struggles a bit.

HJJ

Rinkside
Here are the results:http://www.usfigureskating.org/lead...14_eastern_great_lakes_regionals/SEGM019.html

Alissa did not do a single triple: 3Z was <<, combo was 2T-2T and a 2A. Spins were good as always, Level 2 step sequence, but solid GOE

But it's worth noting that at 20.59 base value was the 5th lowest, but managed to get the second highest TES due to GOE on her spins and steps. She got the highest PCS by far.

Her planned program layout was 3Lz+2T, 3Lo, 2A. Because she fell on her 3Lz combo, I think maybe she took a safe route instead of doing 3Lo.

carriecmu0503

On the Ice
wow Alissa only got 50.23 in short at Regionals. not to good

Let's wait until the video is available before we jump to any conclusions. Also, let's not forget this is only her first competition back in almost a year. She clearly doesn't need to put everything out there to make it through Regionals. Better to take it easy and ease herself back in, rather than risking another injury. She still has plenty of time to prepare herself for Nationals.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The question is will she do Sectionals or a B International in the Sectionals time frame? She needs to do an international to establish a minimum technical score, but if she can't land any triples, she might have a problem qualifying.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Her planned program layout was 3Lz+2T, 3Lo, 2A. Because she fell on her 3Lz combo, I think maybe she took a safe route instead of doing 3Lo.

I thought she wasn't doing 3lo because of the risk to her hip.

HJJ

Rinkside

tulosai

Record Breaker
The question is will she do Sectionals or a B International in the Sectionals time frame? She needs to do an international to establish a minimum technical score, but if she can't land any triples, she might have a problem qualifying.

What is the minimum TES? Isn't it only 20 for Olys or am I pulling that out of a hat? I think that if she can up the levels on the steps, she should be able to get it even if the jumps aren't triples. She will have very strong marks for her spins and steps.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
What is the minimum TES? Isn't it only 20 for Olys or am I pulling that out of a hat? I think that if she can up the levels on the steps, she should be able to get it even if the jumps aren't triples. She will have very strong marks for her spins and steps.

Yes, it's 20. Czisny got 22+ here, so she should be fine.

Tippi1963

Rinkside
Unless I'm reading this wrong, sounds like Rachael and Alissa are both registered for their respective sectionals:

"Two other former U.S. champions, Rachael Flatt and Alissa Czisny, are registered for the qualifiers. Flatt, the 2010 U.S. champion, and Czisny, who won in 2009 and 2011, missed last year's nationals because of injuries. They would have to place in the top four at both their regional and sectional competitions to earn spots at the U.S. championships, which begin Jan. 9 in Boston."

From this article: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/weir-sochi-not-registering-season-200734517--spt.html

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Why did Alissa get negative GOE's on her other two jumps? I did not see the video.

The requirement was a triple jump combo and she did 2t+2t, hence a mandatory -3 GOE.
I don't know about the 2a, but it probably was the landing. We will know in a week or so when the videos become available.