Czisny preparing for one last run at Olympic glory | Page 16 | Golden Skate

Czisny preparing for one last run at Olympic glory

crazydreamer

On the Ice
Chill out people, it's just skating.

I'd say Alissa deserves to compete at Nationals this year, but not necessarily to go to the Olympics. She's already been to the Olympics once, and there's no sense letting someone go if they have not demonstrated in a given season an ability to complete a program.

Alissa certainly does not deserve to go more than Ashley or Gracie. If one of them flubs at Nationals and places 4th or 5th, and Alissa places 3rd, I think they should go over her.

That said, it's not outrageously biased to suggest that, all other things being equal, Alissa, as the most historically accomplished American skater in the running, is high on the deserving-scale to go to Sochi.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Hmm, Czisny has never been to the Olympics (although she has had two very good chances which she blew). I see it this way:

It's an uphill battle for her.
Even if she was able to get back to form, the competition is stiffer than it was 4 years (or even 8 years) ago.

On one hand, I wish her the best, but I really am tired of her fans making every excuse in the book for her poor performances, saying she "deserves" to go to Sochi when she is nowhere near fit enough to be competitive in the field, etc. it's like Cohen 4 years ago...if she makes it to Nationals and gives a valiant effort, the crowd will be appreciative and she can end her career on a high note. She is quickly running out of time, however, to get her jumps back.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
But surely she will. She is easing herself back into competition and avoiding unnecessary risk at this point. Totally rational. She is, to put it euphemistically, a veteran at this point and is, reasonably, being careful.

I suppose the bottom line for me is this: it would be absurd if AC did not make it to nationals. For that matter, I still wonder why USFS would consider sending anyone beside AC to the Olympics in the third spot. It's not like any US woman is going to get a medal anyway, and certainly not the third qualifier.

[Expletive] who happens to be third best at Nationals, a single competition. Zawadzki has shown us that is completely irrelevant to anything.

AC deserves the spot on the Olympic team. She has earned it, and I am so tired of people saying earning it means being third best in one random competition, Nationals (not attributing that to you, Mrs.P). (What does Nationals have to do with anything? Ask Jeremy Abbott.)

I will make the same argument for Mariah Bell, Hannah Miller, Christina Gao, Samantha Cesario, Courtney Hicks, or whoever, when they have been competing at Nationals for 10+ years, under two judging systems, qualifying for three GP finals, and winning one of them.

It isn't so absurd to think that Barbie Long, Mariah Bell, Hannah Miller and Ashley Cain can outscore her at sectionals if Alissa does not show up with triple jumps. I don't buy the "she's saving herhelf for competition" excuse. We have zero data/proof from anywhere that she is hitting them. She's not doing them in shows, she's not doing them at regionals. So for now I'm highly skeptical they will suddenly show up at sectionals.

Even her coaches have mixed reports regarding her triples.

As for earning her spot on the Olympic team, she needs to first earn her spot to nationals, period. Her winning GPF in 2011 or her past national achievements does not matter if the other girls outjump her.

daphna

On the Ice
Czisny should have been banned from any competition level after her horror show at 2012 worlds.

It isn't so absurd to think that Barbie Long, Mariah Bell, Hannah Miller and Ashley Cain can outscore her at sectionals if Alissa does not show up with triple jumps. I don't buy the "she's saving her self for competition" excuse. We have zero data/proof from anywhere that she is hitting them. She's not doing them in shows, she's not doing them at regionals. So for now I'm highly skeptical they will suddenly show up at sectionals.

Even her coaches have mixed reports regarding her triples.

As for earning her spot on the Olympic team, she needs to first earn her spot to nationals, period. Her winning GPF in 2011 or her past national achievements does not matter if the other girls outjump her.

Yeah, I don't have great hopes for her triples after a total lack of evidence that they still exist. If they do suddenly manifest themselves, that will be splendid, but it doesn't look like a possibility right now. Much as we love her, this isn't 1976.

Nigel

On the Ice
Yeah, I don't have great hopes for her triples after a total lack of evidence that they still exist. If they do suddenly manifest themselves, that will be splendid, but it doesn't look like a possibility right now. Much as we love her, this isn't 1976.

With the evidence (Disson shows in recent weeks) that her triples are MIA, I will be surprised if Alissa competes at Mids.

AlexaD

Rinkside
Well, if she doesn't have the triples, she isn't going to be competitive. Like I said, I like Alissa. But that isn't enough to get her to Nationals much less the Olympics. It will be interesting to see how things play out...

sweetskates1

Medalist
crazydreamer - your name is ideal for this thread. Alissa is just that.

Chill out people, it's just skating.

I'd say Alissa deserves to compete at Nationals this year, but not necessarily to go to the Olympics. She's already been to the Olympics once, and there's no sense letting someone go if they have not demonstrated in a given season an ability to complete a program.

Alissa certainly does not deserve to go more than Ashley or Gracie. If one of them flubs at Nationals and places 4th or 5th, and Alissa places 3rd, I think they should go over her.

That said, it's not outrageously biased to suggest that, all other things being equal, Alissa, as the most historically accomplished American skater in the running, is high on the deserving-scale to go to Sochi.

tulosai

Record Breaker

Nope, never. She had a very good chance twice, but didn't ever make the team.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States

I feel the same way. If Alissa had done a couple of triples at regionals, I would feel more confident that she had some of the triples and was working on the rest. But, she did not land any triples at that small competition in Michigan or at regionals or even at any of the shows she has done. I like Alissa a lot, but if she doesn't place in the top 4 at sectionals, she should not be at nationals. She has every right to follow her heart and compete, but I don't feel she is entitled to any special treatment.

Still wishing her well and hope she really does have her triples back, but I doubt it.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
To say that USFS should send Alissa as the third skater because she's earned it after more than 10 years yada yada yada is just a bit absurd. You could say the same thing about the JSF and Fumie Suguri.

There is also the problem that Alissa has not earned the TES minimum scores for both SP and FS, a requirement for participating in the Olympics. USFS has not sent Alissa to an international competition. That leaves one to assume they are waiting to see if she qualifies at Sectionals---which start this Tuesday, BTW.

leafygreens

Final Flight
Czisny should have been banned from any competition level after her horror show at 2012 worlds.

Lol, isn't that a bit harsh? That's the same punishment given to Tonya Harding. If Alissa can make it to nats she deserves it, but I think USFS is done doing her any favors (no propping up.) I'd like to see her at nats just as redemption. Worlds would be a sad way to end her career.

Amei

Record Breaker
To say that USFS should send Alissa as the third skater because she's earned it after more than 10 years yada yada yada is just a bit absurd. You could say the same thing about the JSF and Fumie Suguri.

My least favorite phrase in skating.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Midwestern Sectionals from the Lansing Skating Club in East Lansing MI
Ladies Short Program is Friday, November 22nd at 6:20 pm EST
Ladies Free Skate is Saturday, November 23rd at 1:25 pm EST
You can follow the live updates on IceNetwork.

At the end of each competition, the protocols are immediately available

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Lol, isn't that a bit harsh? That's the same punishment given to Tonya Harding. If Alissa can make it to nats she deserves it, but I think USFS is done doing her any favors (no propping up.) I'd like to see her at nats just as redemption. Worlds would be a sad way to end her career.

Well she should have maybe been penalized and treated by the fans like rachel flatt; rachel has been villainized in the past comparatively to Czisny who is no better. I don't begrudge either = they want what they want; which in their best interests screw the world. That's life.

lcd

Match Penalty
Hope she is in good health and training well to deliver satisfying performances at Sectionals

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
At 2011 Worlds, Rachael Flatt was injured but at least she landed some of her triples, finished 12th and guaranteed herself two GP slots. She returned for 2012 Nationals in San Jose and finished 6th. She took time off from skating to try to heal her chronic injuries and resumed training in the summer of 2013.

At 2012 Worlds, Alissa finished 22nd, landed no triples and guaranteed herself a damaged reputation in the eyes of the judges. She had surgery a few months later and tried to return for 2013 Nationals, but reinjured herself and had to have a second surgery. She started training again in June 2013 and her first competition was Regionals in September.

Neither of these skaters is doing harm to anyone other than (possibly) themselves.

Rachael seems to be balancing school and skating rather successfully. Injuries are for her a question of keeping pain at a manageable level while regaining and maintaining skating skills.

In Alissa's case, the question is whether she can get back her skating skills without incurring another setback or causing a worse injury.

noskates

Record Breaker
After watching the Grand Prix competitions, I think Alyssa ought to just hang them up!!! I think there are at least, AT LEAST, 4 or 5 ladies ahead of her already just in Nats.