Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast

Thread: Czisny preparing for one last run at Olympic glory

Custom Title
    Midwestern Sectionals from the Lansing Skating Club in East Lansing MI
    Ladies Short Program is Friday, November 22nd at 6:20 pm EST
    Ladies Free Skate is Saturday, November 23rd at 1:25 pm EST
    You can follow the live updates on IceNetwork.

At the end of each competition, the protocols are immediately available

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    Lol, isn't that a bit harsh? That's the same punishment given to Tonya Harding. If Alissa can make it to nats she deserves it, but I think USFS is done doing her any favors (no propping up.) I'd like to see her at nats just as redemption. Worlds would be a sad way to end her career.
    Well she should have maybe been penalized and treated by the fans like rachel flatt; rachel has been villainized in the past comparatively to Czisny who is no better. I don't begrudge either = they want what they want; which in their best interests screw the world. That's life.

Custom Title
    Hope she is in good health and training well to deliver satisfying performances at Sectionals

Custom Title
    At 2011 Worlds, Rachael Flatt was injured but at least she landed some of her triples, finished 12th and guaranteed herself two GP slots. She returned for 2012 Nationals in San Jose and finished 6th. She took time off from skating to try to heal her chronic injuries and resumed training in the summer of 2013.

At 2012 Worlds, Alissa finished 22nd, landed no triples and guaranteed herself a damaged reputation in the eyes of the judges. She had surgery a few months later and tried to return for 2013 Nationals, but reinjured herself and had to have a second surgery. She started training again in June 2013 and her first competition was Regionals in September.

Neither of these skaters is doing harm to anyone other than (possibly) themselves.

Rachael seems to be balancing school and skating rather successfully. Injuries are for her a question of keeping pain at a manageable level while regaining and maintaining skating skills.

In Alissa's case, the question is whether she can get back her skating skills without incurring another setback or causing a worse injury.

Custom Title
    After watching the Grand Prix competitions, I think Alyssa ought to just hang them up!!! I think there are at least, AT LEAST, 4 or 5 ladies ahead of her already just in Nats.

I think that no matter the outcome, Alissa can be proud that she gave it her all. She won't have to live with the what ifs.

Custom Title
    This thread makes me wanna go and watch the 2012 horros show - pure fan, watching her skate on her *** and crying the way she did. She should watch it herself and re-consider her unrealistic ambitions.

Custom Title
    Do you know that she has unrealistic ambitions?

I wouldn't even trust interviews, where she's likely to emphasize her best hopes that she knows would be a longshot.

But how do you know she isn't perfectly aware of what she's physically capable of right now and realistically hoping to put out the best performance she can within those capabilities at sectionals, and hoping that will be enough to qualify her for Nationals where she will be able to put out even better performance she can be proud of before retiring (or before healing further and continuing to compete with modest expectations of results)?

Custom Title
    Well obviously none of us really knows what goes through her mind or any other skater's mind......but, I think we can all make a pretty good guess as to whether her expectations are realistic or not whatever they are if she's going to compete based on her history. She was never a great competitor although she was beautiful to watch when she was "on!" But how many times have we seen her blow it? 2012 Nats was painful to watch. So I guess the question is - what has happened since then to think she'll be back on the podium? What in her mind could lead her to believe this year will be different or better or successful or self-satisfying?

Custom Title
    What makes you believe that Alissa believes she will be on the national podium this year?

You can make up all sorts of motivations for her in your mind, but why pass judgment on her for something that exists only in your mind, with no evidence that it exists in hers?

Custom Title
    First of all I am not passing judgement on her. Next of all - you have no idea what's in MY mind! And thirdly, do you honestly think that a skater is going to try to overcome injury and compete again if they don't want to be on the podium? "Oh I think I'll just spend all this money on a coach and a choreographer and a dress and put myself through physical rigor JUST to compete!" Blechhh. If a skater isn't aiming toward the podium then they're just taking up space! Even the newest and littlest and least accomplished skaters all wish to be on the podium or they probably wouldn't be skating.

Custom Title
    Noskates does make sense. Even though people may give the Miss America answer or the answer or response expected we all know that people want to win. Deep down you may not believe you have a chance but you are hopig to get to the Olympics even if you are unknown and don't have the big jumps.

Custom Title
    Noskates.....yes, I do think some people pay for a coach, choreographer, costumes, flights, and so forth "just" to compete. The thing about "just" is that it may mean different things for different people; and it may mean different things for a single person depending on where they are in their career. If a skater wants to compete and qualifies to do so, they earned their spot. I don't see this is taking up space. And, I think we get to see a lot of really amazing skates from people who aren't necessarily gunning for the podium, but who do have goals and things to prove to themselves and perhaps others.

Separately, I do wish Alissa had not been injured twice; I think she was really conquering her competitive demons and now it does feel sad to me, as a fan, that she might not realize some of the dreams she once had such as the Olympics. However, that story has not yet been written...and I look forward to seeing how it turns out.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by daphna View Post
    This thread makes me wanna go and watch the 2012 horros show - pure fan, watching her skate on her *** and crying the way she did. She should watch it herself and re-consider her unrealistic ambitions.
    You're a piece of work, aren't you. Clearly, you have nothing better to do than be a bitter jerk, and rag on a skater who has been quite successful and is simply trying her best to achieve a goal, even with the odds against her. Shame on you.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by noskates View Post
    After watching the Grand Prix competitions, I think Alyssa ought to just hang them up!!! I think there are at least, AT LEAST, 4 or 5 ladies ahead of her already just in Nats.
    We say this every year but these up and comers usually wilt under the pressure at Nationals. If Alissa has multiple falls then she is unlikely to medal but even 4 or 5 triples in the LP could secure a podium spot.

Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast