Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Czisny preparing for one last run at Olympic glory

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    didn't that almost happen with that other flexible, artistic and graceful skater - Sasha Cohen.
    Sasha wasn't coming off two hip injuries in a matter of a year.

Custom Title
    But Sasha DID have an injury during her too-compressed preparation for the Olympics, an injury that kept her out of the two GP events for which she had been scheduled. Her first performance was at Nationals and it was clear from practice on that she was having problems landing the flip. She skated a good SP but struggled through her FS and didn't qualify for Vancouver, finishing 4th.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    But Sasha DID have an injury during her too-compressed preparation for the Olympics, an injury that kept her out of the two GP events for which she had been scheduled. Her first performance was at Nationals and it was clear from practice on that she was having problems landing the flip. She skated a good SP but struggled through her FS and didn't qualify for Vancouver, finishing 4th.
    I also think Sasha had a better grasp of what was going on with her body than Czisny sometimes seems to- she took a lot of crap on many forums with people accusing her of her comeback being fake etc when she dropped out of the GP, but really, in retrospect, it's pretty clear she understood what her body was telling her and listened to it. She also was ready for nationals- she didn't skate well enough to make the team, but she did skate well enough to earn 4th (and not controversially either) which is no real shame. It remains to be seen whether Alyssa can really understand what her body is telling her and make herself as ready as she can within those parameters. I certainly hope so (and as a fan of hers I mean that with all my heart), but the past doesn't bode well. on that count

Either way, time will tell.

Down With It
    Cohen was actually on the right track but simply ran out of time. She should have started her comeback much earlier...like during the 2008-09 season, even if she didn't actually compete.

Then again, it's possible that physical reasons prevented her from doing so. She already had a great career (especially by the standards of today's US women) at that point, even if she fell short of the ultimate achievement (OGM).

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    OK, while we're assigning SA spots, how about Samantha Cesario? I doubt either Rachael or Alissa will be skating better than Samantha.

Samantha is no longer eligible for the JGP, and did better at JR Worlds than Hicks, which would be the most recent competition for both.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 07-12-2013 at 06:50 AM.

Tripping on the Podium

What about her health?

Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    This...

Czisny doesn't want to give up and that's cool, I can understand that...

Nothing wrong with trying but it's all easier said than done. Even at her best she'd be fighting for it, battling her own nerves too but as is, she has a tough road ahead. It's easier with a 3rd spot but there are at least 4 other girls in better shape than she is who want one of those spots. We shall see...
    No one sems concerned here about Alicia´s health. I don´t think she should continue. The damage that is done precludes her from ever having the strength to do the difficulty needed. She is setting herself up for another catastrophic injury. I´m 62 and have too many friends who are seriously imparied phsically because of severe sports injuries in their youth. She´a beautiful skater, but I hate to see her lose her mobility at 50 becuase of this.

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    OK, while we're assigning SA spots, how about Samantha Cesario? I doubt either Rachael or Alissa will be skating better than Samantha.

Samantha is no longer eligible for the JGP, and did better at JR Worlds than Hicks, which would be the most recent competition for both.
    I agree! I have already suggested her name months ago: I think this would be a great occasion to give her an opportunity to present herself to the "big" skating world, and she really deserves it!

Quote Originally Posted by karlowens2 View Post
    No one sems concerned here about Alicia´s health. I don´t think she should continue. The damage that is done precludes her from ever having the strength to do the difficulty needed. She is setting herself up for another catastrophic injury. I´m 62 and have too many friends who are seriously imparied phsically because of severe sports injuries in their youth. She´a beautiful skater, but I hate to see her lose her mobility at 50 becuase of this.
    I'm concerned about her health but I don't think it's any of my business. Sometimes when athletes are doing something blatantly risky I speak up about it, but she is attempting a slow comeback under what we have to assume is a doctor's supervision. I'm not her, I'm not her doctor, and I am not a friend or family member. If she wants to risk it, she is an adult and it is her body and her life. Only she knows if the risk is worth it to her. It is all well to sit here and say she shouldn't do it because of her health (and really, looked at logically, I agree with you, she shouldn't) but it's another to actually be her and to weigh the costs and benefits on many levels, having literally been training your whole life for an Olympics. She may well think it is worth it to have tried even if something catestrophic happens, and as an adult in America she has the right to think that and to carry on.

Down With It
    You know, I don't disagree with you- but at the same time, it's her body, her choice...she will be the one to live with the consequences of her actions so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by fsgmt View Post
    i agree! I have already suggested her name months ago: I think this would be a great occasion to give her an opportunity to present herself to the "big" skating world, and she really deserves it!
    yes! I LOVE Samantha's skating.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post

Um yes Sam should totally get the spot. She is way more consistent with her jumps than Czisny ever was and it seems like Czisny is still in the recovery stages. I really hope she doesn't get passed over for the spot unless Alissa is totally healed and shows she has all her jumps back at at least one summer competition. Really, it's pretty impressive that with 1 UR in the SP and 4 URs in the FS, Sam still was 4th at JW and was only beaten by the 3 Russian girls who are so strong technically. I also thought she easily could have been marked/placed higher at Nationals (like 6th ahead of Siraj...)

Custom Title
    Is Cesario really more consistent though since she's prone to URs? Landing the jumps is not enough if they aren't rotated.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Is Cesario really more consistent though since she's prone to URs? Landing the jumps is not enough if they aren't rotated.
    The URs seemed much improved the past 2 seasons save Junior Worlds. I think they are sort of hit-or-miss. She usually skates clean freeskates though.

Welcome, karlowens2. Thanks for joining us. Post often, post long!

A provocative thought. I tend to agree. There is life after skating, as there is life after any sports career. But it's hard to get young people to listen to what they don't want to hear.
    Last edited by Mathman; 07-16-2013 at 09:30 AM.

Athletes are thinking differently. Do you remember Hermann Maier alias Herminator? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ULDafZqpsM
    He won the gold medal in the giant slalom and Super-G at the 1998 Winter Olympics in Nagano, only a few days after a dramatic crash in the downhill race.
    His racing career nearly ended following a near-fatal motorcycle accident in August 2001; he collided with a car on his way home from a summer training session in Austria. Doctors nearly amputated his lower right leg, but instead Maier underwent massive reconstructive surgery. Most believed his racing career was over, and he had to sit out the 2002 season, missing the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City. He returned to international competition in January 2003 in Adelboden, Switzerland. Just two weeks later, he shocked the skiing world with an amazing Super-G victory in Kitzbühel.

In 2004, his first full season back, he reclaimed both the Super-G and overall titles, a feat widely seen as one of the greatest comebacks in sports history.

Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast