Czisny preparing for one last run at Olympic glory | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Czisny preparing for one last run at Olympic glory

IleK

On the Ice
I read somewhere that Jason Dungjen said she was landing lutzes and flips but they cut off the loop because of her injury. I hope something will come up on youtube from that competition.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Per Lynn Rutherford's IN article previously posted in American Ladies thread:

Two-time U.S. champion Alissa Czisny, who underwent hip surgery in January, did not attend Champs Camp. Her coach, Jason Dungjen, reports the 26-year-old skater is making good progress: "The [double] Axel is going well, the triple toe is going well, and she is landing flips and Lutzes pretty much every day now. The only thing we really have left is [triple] loop and getting her back in shape for her programs. There is talk of sending her to France (Cup of Nice). She is doing a local competition in September, because obviously she has to do something 35 days before [an international assignment]."

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It doesn't seem as if Regionals and Sectionals are included in Alissa's plans. How then can she make it to Nationals?

Yeah, she better leave that triple loop alone. Michelle had to drop it after 2004. Overtraining the triple loop combination was what pushed Tara to premature retirement.

Alissa is going to have a problem with only three jumps, toe, flip and Lutz. But it can be done. Repeat two of the three and do two double Axels.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
It doesn't seem as if Regionals and Sectionals are included in Alissa's plans. How then can she make it to Nationals?

Senior Bs with conflicting timing? I feel like Ice Challenge usually takes place around the same time as Sectionals, if Alissa gets assigned there she'd get a bye and a chance to earn the TES minimums. Then I guess she'd need another assignment during the time of regionals, not sure what that could be as she's not on the roster for Ondrej Nepala or Finlandia, maybe NRW or Golden Spin?

Victura

On the Ice
Yeah, she better leave that triple loop alone. Michelle had to drop it after 2004. Overtraining the triple loop combination was what pushed Tara to premature retirement.

Alissa is going to have a problem with only three jumps, toe, flip and Lutz. But it can be done. Repeat two of the three and do two double Axels.

Does she not typically do the salchow? That doesn't seem to be mentioned specifically in Jason Dungjen's quote above.

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
Does she not typically do the salchow? That doesn't seem to be mentioned specifically in Jason Dungjen's quote above.

No. She tried to introduce the jump in 2011-12, but always ended up popping it. I doubt she will try to attempt it again given its unconsistency even before her surgery.

With only three triple jumps she could try this layout (or something similar)

3Lz+2T
3F
2A+2T
3T+2T+2Lo*
3Lz*
3T*
2A*

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

What about the salchow? She needs six triples.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Senior Bs with conflicting timing? I feel like Ice Challenge usually takes place around the same time as Sectionals, if Alissa gets assigned there she'd get a bye and a chance to earn the TES minimums. Then I guess she'd need another assignment during the time of regionals, not sure what that could be as she's not on the roster for Ondrej Nepala or Finlandia, maybe NRW or Golden Spin?

EGL Regionals are 10/05-08. The only B events in a conflicting time frame are Nepela, Finlandia and Japan Open, and Alissa hasn't been assigned to any of those. Jason has mentioned Coupe de Nice, but that is 10/23-27. more than two weeks after Regionals and shouldn't excuse Alissa.

NRW is 12/03-08 and Golden Spin 12/05-08; neither would excuse Alissa from Sectionals. However, Ice Challenge is 11/19-24, which directly conflicts with Sectionals, but if Alissa is capable of doing two internationals within a month, then she is certainly capable of doing either Regionals or Sectionals.

IMO, USFS would be setting a dangerous precedent if they allow Alissa to be excused from all National preps because it would appear to be special treatment. Last season, Samatha Cesario, who had missed two Nationals in a row due to injury, was excused from Regionals because she skated at the last JGP event, which directly conflicted with NA Regionals, but she did compete at Eastern Sectionals (and won it).

nam57

Rinkside
The readiness thing does not seem to be taken into account. You just have to show up, it does not really matter how you skate. Many major skaters use the early events to play around with stuff, no worries about score. Skaters trying to break in think a good score helps them, but reality is it is irrelevant.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Given that my guess is that Czisny skates at Regionals then goes to Ice Challenge which gets her a bye from sectionals and a chance to earn the TES minimums. She should honestly be able to get through Regionals just with doing 3toes and 2as and then trying a flip or lutz, she could likely even double these attempts and still win just on the base of her PCS, spins, and spirals. Sectionals is the competition that would be more questionable for Alissa if she's only doing 3 different triples, especially because the field could be deep pending on the JGP ladies statuses:
- If Miller, Bell, Long (originally was skating as a junior but now her IN bio says senior so I assume she tested up) do not qualify for JGPF, they will be there
- Cain, unless she gets assigned to a conflicting senior B, will be there
- Other strong skaters likely to be there include Jiang, Carly Gold, and apparently Flatt as well
- Not sure if Baga switched to represent SCOB but if she didn't then that's another skater who could be at Mids

So essentially, a recovering Alissa could very well not qualify out of sectionals, so I'm fairly certain she will be assigned Ice Challenge to ensure that she gets to compete at Nationals. As for regionals, however, she should be able to sail through those even injured so my guess is she probably competes and just does watered down programs.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Given that my guess is that Czisny skates at Regionals then goes to Ice Challenge which gets her a bye from sectionals and a chance to earn the TES minimums. She should honestly be able to get through Regionals just with doing 3toes and 2as and then trying a flip or lutz, she could likely even double these attempts and still win just on the base of her PCS, spins, and spirals. Sectionals is the competition that would be more questionable for Alissa if she's only doing 3 different triples, especially because the field could be deep pending on the JGP ladies statuses:
- If Miller, Bell, Long (originally was skating as a junior but now her IN bio says senior so I assume she tested up) do not qualify for JGPF, they will be there
- Other strong skaters likely to be there include Jiang, Carly Gold, and apparently Flatt as well
- Not sure if Baga switched to represent SCOB but if she didn't then that's another skater who could be at Mids

So essentially, a recovering Alissa could very well not qualify out of sectionals, so I'm fairly certain she will be assigned Ice Challenge to ensure that she gets to compete at Nationals. As for regionals, however, she should be able to sail through those even injured so my guess is she probably competes and just does watered down programs.

Agree. She could probably double everything and make it out of Regionals but Sectionals would be very rough depending on what shape she's in.

mskater93

Record Breaker

Flatt may be at Pac Coasts (I think she went to CP's 2 years ago?)

Selene

On the Ice
More than the 3 loop is left; the 3/3 is left too.

A 3/3 combination is never going to happen for Alissa. She was never able to do one before her injuries and certainly won't be able to do one now. Her body is just too beaten up. I think she would be better off retiring than pushing her body to the limit for the slim chance of getting an Olympic spot (She was never a good jumper and won't have the technical content place highly at US Nationals, now that the US field is improving, if she is not being held up by the judges.)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
On paper, yes Alissa needs to qualify for Nationals. But Jason's plans for Alissa don't mention either Regionals (EGL 10/5-8) or Sectionals (11/19-23). He mentions a club competition on 9/13 and Coupe de Nice (10/23-27), which wouldn't exempt Alissa from Regionals. Maybe he has assumed that USFS is giving her a bye to both, which would be vastly unfair to all the other ladies who have to go through the qualifying process.

MarkusNJ

Rinkside
Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Kostner win a world bronze with limited jumps, and a world title with no lutz? Also, Katrina Hacker did very well at Nationals and at 4CC's with very limited jumps as well. If Alissa can go out there and land what she can land....even with no sal or loop....she has a shot. A very, very good shot....

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Kostner win a world bronze with limited jumps, and a world title with no lutz?

And PCS through the roof.

The +10 points in GOE in her free skate didn't hurt either.

As much I want Alissa to have the skate of her life at a major competition, Alissa =/= Carolina.

Do we know which competitions Alissa has entered for this year?