Czisny preparing for one last run at Olympic glory | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Czisny preparing for one last run at Olympic glory

IleK

On the Ice
If she were just pretty, I would simply wish her well and wait for her to start her modeling career or some other glamorous second life. But she's one of the best and most graceful spinners ever, and when I watch her, I see something no other skater can do. So I hope she can continue in some way in skating, probably as a pro, and that her competitive career ends with some version of a satisfactory result.

Yes! These are my thoughts too. I don't want to make hopes or have any expectations of her. I feel like in 2009 with Sasha Cohen. Sasha was the reason I started watching figure skating and I wanted too much to see her at a third Olympics (I haven't seen her live at fer first because I wasn't watching figure skating very often at that time so I missed it). She was close. I don't want to expect anything from Alissa, but to be healthy so that I can see her gorgeous spins and spirals (that she "inherited" from Sasha) many times from now on.

For the last years, Alissa and Kiira were my favourite figure skaters. Two beauties who gave me stomach aches every time they competed and many times I closed my eyes when they had to jump. But that is my type of skater, the type of skater who gives me chills. And they gave me a hard time these past years, both being injured and missing a lot of competitions. But I know something about my girls: one is blonde and doubles every time she is insecure (at least one time in the long program) and the other one is brunette and falls everytime she gets scared and thinks too much before jumping. Alissa doesn't do doubles very often, she is stubborn, she wants to do it, it doesn't matter if it hurts or she feels she can' t do it. Kiira is more relaxed: so if I can't do it than I don't, I just double or pop. Sometimes I wish she were more stubborn like Alissa.

jennyanydots

On the Ice
I remember there was a fluff piece where Yuka Sato said that if Alissa was really mentally weak, she would have already quit. I totally agree. I think she is a fighter. It's just that she hasn't been able to figure out how to get that consistency under pressure. Yeah, she has popped and doubled jumps here and there but just look at her 2012 worlds performance. She went for every triple. Anyone who has skated can tell you that those falls HURT, but she just kept going and completed all other components of her program beautifully. Now that takes strength!

mskater93

Record Breaker
As Chuckm pointed out up thread the only comp. she is in is a local club competition and possibly Cup of Nice. I guess Cup of Nice might allow her to reach the TES required for competing at the Olympics provided she makes the U. S. team. She doesn't have any GP events and won't get any at this point (I don't think). Last season she wasn't able to compete at Nationals because of her hip injury.

It also seems that she will have to compete at her regionals Upper Great Lakes, and sections Midwesterns to qualify for Nationals.

She's in Eastern Great Lakes (MI, OH, KY, IN, TN, AL). If she goes to CoN, she gets a bye through Mids (assuming she makes top 4 out of EGLs). She'd have a more difficult time at Upper Great Lakes than EGLs.

Ok this is getting nit-picky. We all know jumps are not her strong suit, for whatever reason (technique, physical strength, mental strength). However, I think constantly changing her layout is a bit of a stretch. Yes her layouts changed in the example you gave, but mostly due to a fall or missed jump, so she had to add a 2T on to another jump to get a combo. That's skating smart to try to make up lost points. She didn't attempt a 3S in her 2010 GPF free skate...it was a 3T. She did change the layout for the 2nd half of that season to up her technical score, as she wasn't doing a three jump sequence until nats. Again the slightly changed layout at 4cc and worlds were due to a fall on a planned combo jump, so she wisely tacked on a double toe elsewhere in the program. Also, since 2008 (I didn't bother to go back further), she only doubled one planned triple (a 3F to 2F in the 2010 SP at Nats), although she did pop several jumps. She *might* have doubled a 3T following a 2A, but she rarely attempted that combo. Stating she has doubled intended triples is not very accurate.

Splitting hairs, but I think you're stretching the facts to help prove your point. She's consistent with her program layout, and it's not like she's making it up as she goes along. I'm sure she's well trained to know to add a double toe if she missed it earlier in the program.

Not quite true. Alissa has had a history of constantly changing the layout of her programs. In the 2010-2011 season this
was the case starting with the GP, at US Nationals, etc. Mind you, this was Alissa's best season ever internationally.

2010 Skate Canada FS:
3z+2t, 3f+2t, 3f, 3lo, 3t, 2a, 3t (fall)

2010 TEB FS:
3z+2t, 3f+2t, 3t, 3lo-hd, 3f (fall), 2a<, 1t

2010 GPF:
3z+2t, 3f+2t, 3s, 3lo, 3z, 2a, 3t

2011 Nationals:
PLANNED: 3z+2t, 3f+2t, 3t, 3lo, 3f, 2a, 3t+2t+2t
EXECUTED: 3z+2t, 3f, 3t+2t+2lo, 3lo<, 3z+2t, 2a, 3t

2011 4CC
3z+2t, 3fe<<(fall), 3t+2t+2lo, 3lo, 3z<<, 2a, 3t<+2t

2011 Worlds
3z (fall), 3fe+2t, 3t+2t+2lo, 3lo, 3z+2t, 2a, 3t

In other events at other times, Alissa has doubled intended triples, perhaps out of nervousness or just a tentative takeoff.

So all the things you say she never does, she HAS done. It doesn't make much sense to put a halo over her past performances. We haven't seen her skate since the Worlds 2012 debacle. Let's not have unreasonable expectations for her when she opens the season with her club competition this coming Friday.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
She's in Eastern Great Lakes (MI, OH, KY, IN, TN, AL). If she goes to CoN, she gets a bye through Mids (assuming she makes top 4 out of EGLs). She'd have a more difficult time at Upper Great Lakes than EGLs.

Sorry, I put UGL instead of Eastern Great Lakes....even though I had the correct dates. But I guess I'm still confused. I thought the conflicting international had to be within 14 days of regionals. Eastern Great Lakes ends on October 8 and Cup of Nice starts on October 23.....15 days after regionals. Would she still receive a bye through regionals if it is 15 days after regionals?

Midwestern Sectionals start on November 19 which is 22 days after the conclusion of Cup of Nice so I thought that was way outside the time frame for a bye. Maybe google will lead me to an answer? Or, anyone know what the rules say?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The rule says two weeks (14 days). I don't see that Cup of Nice keeps Alissa out of either Regionals or Sectionals. It's almost as if Alissa expects to receive byes through both.

Tippi1963

Rinkside
The rule says two weeks (14 days). I don't see that Cup of Nice keeps Alissa out of either Regionals or Sectionals. It's almost as if Alissa expects to receive byes through both.

Does anyone know what local competition is being referred to in the quote below (I believe) from Jason Dungjen? And would this local competition have any bearing on Alissa's regional or sectional appearance(s)?

"She is doing a local competition in September, because obviously she has to do something 35 days before [an international assignment]."
http://www.icenetwork.com/news/2013/08/26/58200968 (Aug 26).

Thanks...

gkelly

Record Breaker
Does anyone know what local competition is being referred to in the quote below (I believe) from Jason Dungjen? And would this local competition have any bearing on Alissa's regional or sectional appearance(s)?

"She is doing a local competition in September, because obviously she has to do something 35 days before [an international assignment]."

https://www.usfigureskating.org/event_listings.asp

Probably the Shores Autumn Classic in St. Clair Shores, MI.
http://www.scsfsc.org/

No, club competitions have no bearing whatsoever on qualifying competitions such as regionals.

macy

Record Breaker
https://www.usfigureskating.org/event_listings.asp

Probably the Shores Autumn Classic in St. Clair Shores, MI.
http://www.scsfsc.org/

No, club competitions have no bearing whatsoever on qualifying competitions such as regionals.

i was going to say the same about st. clair shores. i used to compete there when i was younger.

i could see her getting a bye through regionals but not mids since it's been so long. i don't think she'd have a problem getting to nats with a watered down routine even with the competiton there; i think the judges would want to get her there and obviously with her PCS and spins she'd blow everyone else out of the park. i'd love to see her there too since i will be volunteering :biggrin:

mskater93

Record Breaker

Thanks...
She's doing St Claire Shores this weekend, she's on the start list on sk8stuff.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Bumping up to see if there's any reports about Alissa at St Claire Shores this weekend.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Alissa received 50.21 short program 98.58 long program which would be total of 148.79
That's worrying, especially the SP score... Any news about jumps/layout? I hope it was just a bad performance and that this isn't her preparation level at the moment...

senatormls

On the Ice
I've heard from the skating lesson which had Doug Razzano as a guest that he said that Alissa was whining at a summer exhibition that why is she doing triples?! I wish her the best in her professional career.

sarahspins

Rinkside
Alissa received 50.21 short program 98.58 long program which would be total of 148.79

I really don't think that's too bad considering, and I would almost bet she (and her coaches) were playing it "safe" and not putting everything she has out there just yet. This wasn't a big event, the whole purpose was just to get out there in front of the judges again after basically missing all of last season. It's more of a warm up than anything else.

If you compare the scores to SLC, she would have come in 5th there, in between Agnes and Amelie.. which isn't great, but it's really not that bad either. It is early in the season, no one is really at their full potential yet.