Polina Edmunds: Can she compete at Seniors next season | Golden Skate

Polina Edmunds: Can she compete at Seniors next season

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Polina is a good skater, but she has a UR habit which she must correct. She's grown a lot taller over the past year and is very leggy. It's hard to correct bad habits when you're in the midst of a growth spurt.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Whoever she is I wish her well (LOL) I have heard of her but the best in the US - ah okay. Usually the best we would have heard from her or more about her by now.

hanca

Record Breaker
I think she is a pretty decent junior, but saying that she is one of the best skaters of the US....hmmmm.... it seems that it is becoming a tradition that a skater's name is built up, pronounced the best hope for the US skating/for the nearest Olympics, unrealistic expectations are placed on that particular skater and when this skater doesn't meet immediately those expectations (how dare she!!!), the skater is kicked back down and dragged through the mud. What a fun! :rolleye:

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I think she is a pretty decent junior, but saying that she is one of the best skaters of the US....hmmmm.... it seems that it is becoming a tradition that a skater's name is built up, pronounced the best hope for the US skating/for the nearest Olympics, unrealistic expectations are placed on that particular skater and when this skater doesn't meet immediately those expectations (how dare she!!!), the skater is kicked back down and dragged through the mud. What a fun! :rolleye:
:clap:

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I think she can compete and she has a decent shot at the 6th-10th position of the top 10, but Polina isn't on the level of the medal contenders yet. She's a good junior skater but she's not a senior level skater yet. Polina is still growing as both a young lady and a skater so it's far too early to be calling her one of the best. I do think she's one of the promising up-and-comers along with skaters like Hannah Miller, Angela Wang, Karen Chen, etc. But as always with young skaters, it's best to wait them out and see how their bodies and skills hold up during the puberty/senior transition.

Country
Russia
I think she is a pretty decent junior, but saying that she is one of the best skaters of the US....
USFS did not think so after summer competitions 2012 - Polina was only a substitute for JGP Events, they did not give her Event.
USFS did not think so after Nationals-2013, where Polina won in Juniors, they did not give her JrWorlds spot.

I hope we will see her at JGP Events 2013 (but I believe Karen Chen deserves it more).

And after all I can say that Lipnitskaia and Radionova are not the best skaters - they can become the best skaters when they will be more mature. The same Polina Edmunds.

vera01

Final Flight
USFS did not think so after summer competitions 2012 - Polina was only a substitute for JGP Events, they did not give her Event.
USFS did not think so after Nationals-2013, where Polina won in Juniors, they did not give her JrWorlds spot.

I hope we will see her at JGP Events 2013 (but I believe Karen Chen deserves it more).

And after all I can say that Lipnitskaia and Radionova are not the best skaters - they can become the best skaters when they will be more mature. The same Polina Edmunds.

Actually, the only reason(I believe) that Polina did not compete at Jr.Worlds this year was because she did not have the minimum technical score for Jr.Worlds...:slink:

Country
Russia
Actually, the only reason(I believe) that Polina did not compete at Jr.Worlds this year was because she did not have the minimum technical score for Jr.Worlds...:slink:
Nationals finished Jan 27. JrWorlds started Feb 25. There were five B Events with Junior competitions between these dates to have minimum technical score.

When Gosviani won spot to Euro (also about 1 month between Nats finished Dec 28 and Euro started Jan 21) - RusFed sent her to B Event to give her opportunity to have minimum technical score.

ForeverFish

Medalist
Technically speaking, there's no rule that says she CAN'T compete in senior Nationals. She probably will. But I wouldn't put any money on her winning a medal this year, especially when all of the top-tier ladies (Ashley, Gracie, Agnes, Alissa, Christina, Mirai) will be gunning hard for Olympic spots.

Polina needs to ensure that UR's are a thing of the past before she can realistically contend with the BEST in the US -- those older ladies who have experience and solid technique. She's a quick, energetic skater with a bright career ahead, but putting lofty expectations on her before she's even competed in the JGP/Jr. Worlds is potentially a formula for a nervous, inconsistent skater (see 2012 Gracie). Polina can rest assured that she won't have to carry the hopes of US ladies' skating for at least another Olympic cycle, and can instead focus on growing as a skater and fixing her jumps.

AlexRus is correct in saying that Polina could have been sent to a B event to get the required score for 2013 Jr. Worlds. The USFS played it safe by not inviting a skater with no international experience, national champion or not, and expecting her to hold her own against the Russians. I expect that next season will be quite different; if Polina has a decent JGP debut and a top 10 finish at 2014 Nationals, I see no reason why she wouldn't/shouldn't be on the Jr. Worlds team.

Country
Russia
AlexRus is correct in saying that Polina could have been sent to a B event to get the required score for 2013 Jr. Worlds. The USFS played it safe by not inviting a skater with no international experience, national champion or not, and expecting her to hold her own against the Russians. I expect that next season will be quite different; if Polina has a decent JGP debut and a top 10 finish at 2014 Nationals, I see no reason why she wouldn't/shouldn't be on the Jr. Worlds team.
After Nats-2013:
1 and 2 places to SrWorlds (Ashley and Gracie)
3 place to 4CC (Agnes, btw, she is younger than Camantha Cesario)
4 place - to JrWorlds (Courtney)
5 place - to 4CC (Christina Gao, also younger than Camantha Cesario, she was GP Finalist at 2012, maybe because of this she had 4CC)
6 place - to JrWorlds (Yasmin Siraj)
7 place - Mirai Nagasu, too old for JrWorlds
8 place - to JrWorlds (Samantha Cesario).

So to JrWorlds were sent three Ladies, two with good JGP Events results (Hicks, Cesario) and one with good results of SrNats (Siraj).
In this situation USFS most probably did not see the need of making Techincal Minimum for Polina.
Probably USFS wanted to give a chance to Samantha Cesario at her last Junior season, mentioning that at 2011 USFS made her to lose JGP Final, sending Gold together with her to last JGP Event. Because ot that Samantha had 3+3 places and Korobeynikova with 2+4 was ahead her.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Polina still should have gone instead of Siraj who really didn't earn her place at Jr Worlds. Angela Wang or Hannah Miller should also have had a chance to go also since they had good results on the JGP. All Siraj had was one good result at Nationals but otherwise didn't even skate at a international event before Jr Worlds.

ForeverFish

Medalist
Polina still should have gone instead of Siraj who really didn't earn her place at Jr Worlds. Angela Wang or Hannah Miller should also have had a chance to go also since they had good results on the JGP. All Siraj had was one good result at Nationals but otherwise didn't even skate at a international event before Jr Worlds.

Actually, Yasmin won silver medals at both of her JGP events in 2010 (France and Great Britain), and placed seventh in the JGPF. The following season, she finished fifth at JGP Latvia. She also placed higher than both Hannah and Angela at 2013 Nationals, so the USFS had no legitimate reason to skip over her.

Polina's case wasn't at all like Gracie, who burst out of nowhere at JGP Estonia, won the junior national title by a landslide, and continued on to win the silver medal at Jr. Worlds. Why would the US fed push their luck by sending Polina, who had zero international experience, to the biggest junior event in the world (and against Radionova and Lipnitskaia, no less)?

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Actually, Yasmin won silver medals at both of her JGP events in 2010 (France and Great Britain), and placed seventh in the JGPF. The following season, she finished fifth at JGP Latvia. She also placed higher than both Hannah and Angela at 2013 Nationals, so the USFS had no legitimate reason to skip over her.

Polina's case wasn't at all like Gracie, who burst out of nowhere at JGP Estonia, won the junior national title by a landslide, and continued on to win the silver medal at Jr. Worlds. Why would the US fed push their luck by sending Polina, who had zero international experience, to the biggest junior event in the world (and against Radionova and Lipnitskaia, no less)?

Both Miller and Wang made the JGPF last season and would have done better at Jr Worlds then Yasmin did. Yasmin had one good competition why should that have been considered more impressive then a whole season of good performances from Angela and Hannah? Miller even won a silver medal at the JGPF.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Everything old is new again.

Didn't we just get through a season in which the meteoric rise of the Russians on the senior circuit was predicted? That they would be WC medal contenders? That three spots in Sochi was a given?

We must give these young girls TIME. Time to develop physically and artistically. Polina has tremendous potential, and that's enough for now. Unreasonable expectations are not doing her a service.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Both Miller and Wang made the JGPF last season and would have done better at Jr Worlds then Yasmin did. Yasmin had one good competition why should that have been considered more impressive then a whole season of good performances from Angela and Hannah? Miller even won a silver medal at the JGPF.

If it was a close call, I'd agree, but Yasmin beat Angela and Hannah by 11 points. Not only that she was 5th in the FS.

They tried to do the whole send the JGPF finalist thing last year by opting to send Vanessa Lam, who made it to JGPF, rather than Angela Wang, who actually finished one place above her. Vanessa ended up finishing 13th.

I don't think it was such a terrible thing to spread the wealth as far as international events. In any case, the trio still did their job for the most part getting 3 spots of junior worlds next year as well as getting the maximum number of spots for JGP.

As for Polina. No harm, no foul. She's still pretty young! She'll get some great experience on the JGP and take it from there.

mskater93

Record Breaker
For Polina, she had serious issues at Nationals with UR'd jumps. You don't want to take that kind of risk at JWs and her potentially getting that reputation with interational tech panels - look at Nagasu!

kwanatic

Record Breaker

I think they were giving Yasmin a chance. She had two strong performances at nationals this year and with her placement there it would have been really shady to pass her over for someone with zero international experience.

I love Yasmin's skating (gorgeous interpretation and musicality and amazing edges) but she doesn't get the kind of recognition needed to make a splash...I doubt if she ever will. She wasn't able to place well at jr. worlds this year so we'll have to see if she gets any assignments this year.

When are they announcing the JGP participants? They don't have the list posted on ISU's site yet...

macy

Record Breaker
i think as far as just getting 3 spots for jr worlds next year again yasmin was a good choice. but if they wanted better overall results they should have given the 3rd spot to hannah or angela. yasmin wasn't on the jgp at all last season and i didn't think going off results from one competition was fair. hannah and angela proved themselves all year that they were strong international competitors and hannah medalled in all 3 of her international events, and angela 2, one being a gold. either one had a good chance of getting a medal at jr worlds.

kwanatic

Record Breaker
^^I think the main reason they weigh US nationals so heavily is b/c the JGP takes place months and months before junior worlds. Nationals is a more accurate measurement of where the skaters are at that time in the season. If a skater was on a roll back in August and September of the previous year and appear to be struggling by the end of January, those are thing they have to take into consideration. I'd have sent Angela or Hannah too, but Yasmin outperformed both of them at nationals. It appeared as though she was the safer bet.

That's why it's so important to deliver when the time calls for it.