Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Polina Edmunds: Can she compete at Seniors next season

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexRus View Post

We see - higher place at Nats gives no warranty to higher place at JrWorlds.
    Having good results on the JGP also always doesn't warrant highest places at Jr. Worlds either. Kiri Baga (2010) and Vanessa Lam (2012) were sent to Jr. Worlds because of their strong JGP results (including making the the JGP final), In Kiri's case, they skipped over Yasmin Siraj and Lindsey Davis, who finished above her in juniors, to make her the first alternate. Vanessa Lam was sent despite Angela Wang beating her overall. Kiri ended up finishing 7th and Vanessa finished 13th, the worst result for a skater in several years.

That said, Angela and Hannah would probably have done fine, but I think Courtney and Samantha put in respectable placements considering the competition.

Custom Title
    Polina can do well and I bet she will. We saw the Russian girl of the same age, Anna Pogorilaya, compete on the international scene for the first time last season and she qualified for JGPF where she won bronze (1 point short of silver), was 5th at senior nationals, made the JW team, and won bronze at JW. No reason Polina can't manage something very similar this coming season, she is so talented and strong technically AND artistically (her PCS are pretty high for someone her age and she has lots of dance training which helps her hold her long limbed body very well).

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
    Polina's Romeo and Juliet at Nationals in 2013 was one of the best figure skating programs I've ever seen.

Certainly the best Romeo and Juliet.
    No, there are quite a few better R&J's. Here's 3 right off the top of my head.

Anissina & Peizerat 1998
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4Wqpc4xL5Q

Annenko & Sretensky 1987
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNo0HGiPLG8

Gordeeva & Grinkov 1990 Europeans
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSL-hpsFAtw

Miserere Nobis
    ^I'd add Sasha Cohen's 2006 FS to that list. It was a very mature and beautiful program, even if she struggled to skate it cleanly.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Gracie didn't finish 7th at JGP Tallinn in 2011----she WON the competition!
    7th (last) was JGP Event. We all know that Gracie was first at that Event.
    Because it was last JGP Event, she had not one more JGP Event.

Sorry for my previous text which may be misuderstood.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFish View Post
    Internationally, and to most skating fans, Gracie was an unknown until she won JGP Estonia (especially compared to Julia L, Adelina, etc.). First place at Skate Detroit wouldn't have been relevant enough for the USFS to send her to Jr. Worlds; her JGP win, and then the junior national title, earned her that spot.
    Yes.
    Young skaters (not only Radionova, Lipnitakaia etc of Russia, also for example Shoma Uno of Japan) may be known before their Internationals if they take place in Gala of hi-level competitions. Only best, well-known nationally young skaters have such kind of Gala.
    Btw, I know Shoma Uno because of his skating at such kind of Gala, before he started his Internationals.

Polina Edmunds had not so high level in USA to be known in this way.

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    No, there are quite a few better R&J's. Here's 3 right off the top of my head.

Anissina & Peizerat 1998
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4Wqpc4xL5Q

Annenko & Sretensky 1987
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNo0HGiPLG8

Gordeeva & Grinkov 1990 Europeans
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSL-hpsFAtw
    And don't forget http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCdBhfNtJFc!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by FSGMT View Post
    I don't think you can even compare a tone deaf 13 year old with some of the skaters who have in the past skated to R&J. I agree with ForeverFish even with a couple falls Sasha was Juliet. If only she had skated that program clean it would have been one of the best OGM skates ever.

Miserere Nobis
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    I don't think you can even compare a tone deaf 13 year old with some of the skaters who have in the past skated to R&J. I agree with ForeverFish even with a couple falls Sasha was Juliet. If only she had skated that program clean it would have been one of the best OGM skates ever.
    Agreed. Julia used some of the same music selections as Sasha, but Julia's program left me cold and generally unimpressed. She was too young (I know, I know Juliet was thirteen, but that was in a very different time) to adequately interpret the bittersweet passion and heartbreak in that spectacular piece. The same goes for Polina; had she saved the music for later in her career, it would probably have turned out differently...and maybe for the better.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by foreverfish View Post
    agreed. Julia used some of the same music selections as sasha, but julia's program left me cold and generally unimpressed. She was too young (i know, i know juliet was thirteen, but that was in a very different time) to adequately interpret the bittersweet passion and heartbreak in that spectacular piece. The same goes for polina; had she saved the music for later in her career, it would probably have turned out differently...and maybe for the better.
    ita.

Custom Title
    QUOTE: Mrs. P: "Just for the record the Jr. World teams from the last few years"

Added the JR World Placements to their placements from US National Championships

2013: Courtney Hicks (4th), Yasmin Siraj (6th) Samantha Cesario (8th). Angela Wang (9th) was first alternate.
    JR World results: Cesario 4th, Hicks 5th, Siraj 11th

2012: Christina Gao (5th), Vanessa Lam (9th) and Gracie Gold (1st -J). Angela Wang probably should have gone instead of Lam, but with zero international experience + bad SP, they opted for Lam, who went to the JGPF that year. Ashley Cain (2nd-J) was first alternate.
    JR World results: Gold 2nd, Gao 7th, Lam 13th

2011: Agnes Zawadzki (4th); Christina Gao (5th) and Courtney Hicks (1st - J) Vanessa Lam (who finished 7th, was the first alternate)
    JR World results: Zawadzki 3rd, Gao 4th, Hicks 6th

2010: Christina Gao (5th); Agnes Zawadzki (1st -J), Kiri Baga (4th-J; sent due to being in JGP Ashley Wagner (3rd) was originally named to the team, but withdrew, leading the way for Kiri to go.
    JR World results: Zawadski 2nd, Baga 7th, Gao 8th

2009: Caroline Zhang (3rd); Ashley Wagner (4th); Katrina Hacker (6th) (she was originally first alternate, but then Mirai Nagasu (5th) withdrew and Katrina was sent)
    JR World results: Zhang 2nd, Wagner 3rd, Hacker 5th

2008: Mirai Nagasu (1st); Rachael Flatt (2nd); Caroline Zhang (4th) Alexe Gilles (1st-J) was first alternate.
    JR World results: Flatt 1st, Zhang 2nd, Nagasu 3rd

2007: Mirai Nagasu (1st-J),Caroline Zhang (2nd-J), Ashley Wagner (3rd-J) Rachael Flatt (5th) was 1st alternate.
    JR World results: Zhang 1st, Nagasu 2nd, Wagner 3rd

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFish View Post
    Technically speaking, there's no rule that says she CAN'T compete in senior Nationals. She probably will. But I wouldn't put any money on her winning a medal this year, especially when all of the top-tier ladies (Ashley, Gracie, Agnes, Alissa, Christina, Mirai) will be gunning hard for Olympic spots. ....

Polina can rest assured that she won't have to carry the hopes of US ladies' skating for at least another Olympic cycle, and can instead focus on growing as a skater and fixing her jumps. ....
    The top three junior ladies from 2013 will all be competing in the senior ladies’ event in Boston. 2013 U.S. junior champion Polina Edmunds, 15, won the crown in Omaha with ethereal grace. ....
    Edmunds says her goals for the 2014 U.S. Championships include a top-three finish.
    “It is my dream to qualify for the Olympic Team this year,” she said. “I feel I am strong enough and [I’m] excited to participate in the Olympic Trials in January. I’m ready right now and I would like to have equal opportunity to try to make Olympic Team 2014.”

Quote Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
    Polina's Romeo and Juliet at Nationals in 2013 was one of the best figure skating programs I've ever seen.

Certainly the best Romeo and Juliet.
    Old news, but Edmunds' R & J won the "Edi" Award for Best Female Performance at the 2013 U.S. Championships in Omaha, Nebraska.
    She was the only junior to win for 2013. Max Aaron, Scimeca/Knierim, and Davis/White won for the other disciplines.

Custom Title
    I first saw Polina as a skinny 12 year old skating as a Junior at the 2011 US Nationals and wondered why she still wasn't a Novice. Even then she didn't look out of place with the older girls. I can see big things are headed her way if she can just rotate those jumps. She along with Karen Chen are 2 ladies to watch out for in the next few years.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    I first saw Polina as a skinny 12 year old skating as a Junior at the 2011 US Nationals and wondered why she still wasn't a Novice. Even then she didn't look out of place with the older girls. I can see big things are headed her way if she can just rotate those jumps. She along with Karen Chen are 2 ladies to watch out for in the next few years.
    Agree! I think Karen is special

Custom Title
    I saw Polina's FS at Glacier Falls not long ago. Although she had a fall, she looked pretty refined compared to the older and more experienced Hicks. I was standing close to her after the comp, she looks to be around 5'4", maybe 85-90 lbs. currently.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast