Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 52

Thread: Rika Hongo

  1. #1
    missing Mao & Yuna satine94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    running the vuvuzela crematorium
    Posts
    1,416

    Rika Hongo

    Sad to see there's no thread for Rika, let's change that!

    A big congratulations to her for her gold medal at the 2014 Rostelecom Cup! Way to go Rika! You nailed it!

  2. #2
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    931
    Congratulations Rika! You showed you have the mentality of a champion by skating flawlessly knowing the gold medal is within reach. I know you are in good hands with Akiko mentoring you. Looking forward to seeing more great skates from you.
    Last edited by Maria Victoria; 11-15-2014 at 08:00 AM. Reason: remove typo

  3. #3
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    329
    Yes, good idea! I thought of making one too. She is very strong mentally.

  4. #4
    missing Mao & Yuna satine94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    running the vuvuzela crematorium
    Posts
    1,416
    Quote Originally Posted by adelia View Post
    Yes, good idea! I thought of making one too. She is very strong mentally.
    ITA. Her focus really came across in the FS. She has quickly moved up to become one of my favorite women. I hope she'll do well at Nationals

  5. #5
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    179
    She was really loving it and the end of her freeskate today! I think her basic skating is very good, and I hope she does well.

  6. #6
    Custom Title Unite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    159
    I'm so happy to have found out she won a medal, and a gold one at that! She is like the next Shizuka, another cool beauty!

  7. #7
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    329
    She needs to work on her posture though, that's really the only major issue I have with her skating.

  8. #8
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    9
    There are too many ladies that I love already and now I have to add Rika to that list! What will I do when they are all going to be in the same competition? Honestly, I think I'll go nuts while rooting for them and wishing victory to each. Skating gods, have mercy!

  9. #9
    Custom Title gotoschool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    279
    I already posted most of this at the Ladies LP Rostelecom thread, but it can serve double duty here with a few changes.

    Congratulations Rika Hongo on a true upset win with the highest PCS and tech score.

    Rika impressed me the most in the LP because she gave every ounce of energy and guts she had to deliver a clean performance to the best of her ability. I noticed a few nice flourishes such as a high leg kick coming out of her first jumping pass. Her movements and steps also seemed more fluid and crisp than I had seen in her previous skates. I really liked her interpretation, flair, steps and movements in this program and thought she attacked it with good speed and height on the jumps, except the spins at the very end when she was running out of steam. It's wonderful to be surprised "out of the blue" by a skater for whom you have no expectations for.
    Last edited by gotoschool; 11-16-2014 at 07:18 AM.

  10. #10
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    538
    She definitely needed a fan thread! This season is her senior debut, and what great results so far:

    1st at Triglav
    1st at Asian Open
    3rd at Finlandia
    5th at Skate Canada (good result considering the rest of the field)
    ...and now a Grand Prix gold medal from Rostelecom Cup!

    Japan was starting to looking a bit short of top-level senior ladies, with so many retirements this year - but Rika has really risen to the challenge. She has made visible progress since Finlandia just a few weeks ago - it seems she has gained confidence with each successive competition, and has put more passion and expression into her performances each time.

    I hope she can continue to improve, stay consistent, and do well at Nationals - it would be great to see her sent to 4CC and/or Worlds. I don't think she's going to threaten Murakami or Miyahara just yet, but Haruka Imai is in danger of missing out (even though she made big improvements too, last season)...!

    My photos of Rika from Finlandia are HERE. In the practices there she seemed diligent and hard working. And off-ice she seemed cheerful, unassuming, sweet. Perhaps a little shy, but that might just be a natural reaction to some strange British guy talking to her in broken Japanese LOL.
    Last edited by YesWay; 11-15-2014 at 03:27 PM.

  11. #11
    missing Mao & Yuna satine94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    running the vuvuzela crematorium
    Posts
    1,416
    Quote Originally Posted by YesWay View Post
    She definitely needed a fan thread! This season is her senior debut, and what great results so far:

    1st at Triglav
    1st at Asian Open
    3rd at Finlandia
    5th at Skate Canada (good result considering the rest of the field)
    ...and now a Grand Prix gold medal from Rostelecom Cup!

    Japan was starting to looking a bit short of top-level senior ladies, with so many retirements this year - but Rika has really risen to the challenge. She has made visible progress since Finlandia just a few weeks ago - it seems she has gained confidence with each successive competition, and has put more passion and expression into her performances each time.

    I hope she can continue to improve, stay consistent, and do well at Nationals - it would be great to see her sent to 4CC and/or Worlds. I don't think she's going to threaten Murakami or Miyahara just yet, but Haruka Imai is in danger of missing out (even though she made big improvements too, last season)...!

    My photos of Rika from Finlandia are HERE. In the practices there she seemed diligent and hard working. And off-ice she seemed cheerful, unassuming, sweet. Perhaps a little shy, but that might just be a natural reaction to some strange British guy talking to her in broken Japanese LOL.
    Thanks for sharing your photos! I was having trouble choosing a favorite, but then that last pic really took the cake. She looks so cute off the ice

  12. #12
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    931
    Quote Originally Posted by Unite View Post
    I'm so happy to have found out she won a medal, and a gold one at that! She is like the next Shizuka, another cool beauty!
    Well she and Shizuka (along with Yuzuru) come from Sendai. Wonder what's in the water there.

    Levity aside, I'm thinking also how the earthquake may have affected her...

  13. #13
    Custom Title Unite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    159

  14. #14
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    538
    Quote Originally Posted by Unite View Post
    Haha! What a great find!

  15. #15
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    54
    She saw a great opportunity and just nailed her performance! Good job for her! This will definitely boost her confidence on the ice!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •