Jason Brown | Page 33 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

noskates

Record Breaker
I think this might be the safest and most comfortable thread to hang out in the rest of the Olympics and maybe beyond. What I'm most pleased about - besides the top 10 placement - is that Jason has been able to thoroughly enjoy this Olympics. He's obviously had great fun, made a lot of new friends, and really DID the Olympics. I'm afraid in 2018 he'll have to be more serious and may not have as much fun. But what an introduction to the world.

Go Jason!!!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
https://blog.twitter.com/2014/figure-skater-jason-brown-exuberantly-live-tweets-womens-programs

Twitter blogs about Jason's live tweeting during the ladies programs. Some fascinating numbers:

The enthusiasm he exhibits while skating has translated seamlessly to his live-tweeting, which fueled massive engagement. As a result of the two days of live-tweeting, Brown gained 6,120 new followers and drew 10 times as many Retweets (17,762) and 5 times as many favorites (18,611) as the week prior, according to Twitter internal data. This Tweet alone has received more than 15,000 Retweets.

6k followers over two days, WOW! He now has 42k followers, which is pretty amazing for a figure skater. (Though not the most...Gracie Gold has 92k followers; wozers!).

mintx

On the Ice
Jason and the rest of USFS team was on Today on Friday has anyone seen a clip? I saw the pict on FB but could not find the link on Today. I'm sure they could not have said much. Also, has anyone noticed how the team seems to self divide in picts and at events? Social media has given us a glimps into some of the social dynamic although they look very solid as a team, everyone has their role.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Jason and the rest of USFS team was on Today on Friday has anyone seen a clip? I saw the pict on FB but could not find the link on Today. I'm sure they could not have said much. Also, has anyone noticed how the team seems to self divide in picts and at events? Social media has given us a glimps into some of the social dynamic although they look very solid as a team, everyone has their role.

I don't think it's up yet!

wordsworthgirl

Medalist

Yes, I have noticed a lot abt the social dynamics too! Specifically, Jeremy and Jason seem to be the most popular and sort of the bridge or mediating figures. Ashley and marissa are best friends, Gracie and Maia, and Ashley and Gracie are really not friendly. Gracie a bit aloof from the group as a whole. Jeremy is the closest to Charlie and meryl but is also good buddies w Ashley and marissa and he and Jason have a wonderful big bro little bro connection. Jason is kind to everyone and brings polina into the group. Evan bates is another sweetheart who mediates. What are some of your specific observations?

mintx

On the Ice
I'm glad I'm not the only crazy one looking to see who hangs with who. Jason spent much of the time with athletes from everywhere, getting pictures with half of the Olympic village. He didn't seem to be best friends with anyone but was with the "younger" skaters the most ( Gracie and Polina). I'm not sure about his relationship with Jeremy, I think they get along but are clearly not best friends. He also seemed very supportive of the entire team cheering everyone on loudly and attending the medal ceremony for Meryl and Charlie while part of the group was at snowboarding.

Polina came in late but looked like she had a good time. Simon was noticeably absent from Social media, I even tried to figure out if he went home. He is either private or did not hang with the group. Charlie and Evan are close. Alex knows everyone. T Michigan contingent is a close knit group. Jeremy and Ashey looked like best buds.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I'm glad I'm not the only crazy one looking to see who hangs with who. Jason spent much of the time with athletes from everywhere, getting pictures with half of the Olympic village. He didn't seem to be best friends with anyone but was with the "younger" skaters the most ( Gracie and Polina). I'm not sure about his relationship with Jeremy, I think they get along but are clearly not best friends. He also seemed very supportive of the entire team cheering everyone on loudly and attending the medal ceremony for Meryl and Charlie while part of the group was at snowboarding.

Polina came in late but looked like she had a good time. Simon was noticeably absent from Social media, I even tried to figure out if he went home. He is either private or did not hang with the group. Charlie and Evan are close. Alex knows everyone. T Michigan contingent is a close knit group. Jeremy and Ashey looked like best buds.

As I noted in the rant/feelings thread, him and Gracie go back many years since they both trained in Chicago before moving on to new training locations (him to Coloraldo Springs, she to Los Angeles), so it doesn't surprise me they hung out a ton here. I think Jason gets along with everyone. I think he tried to spend a lot of time with his family and Kori as well.

Simon has family in Russia, I believe. I think I read somewhere that he and his family had plans to travel around Russia to visit them, which meant not being in Sochi the whole time.

merinheart

Rinkside
Reposting from the 'Closing Ceremony' thread - Jason & Polina dancing during the Closing Ceremony! :love::
http://giphy.com/gifs/cEYFeDy1ncQnlRIoEGk

Hmm, just occurred to me that Jason would make a great candidate for Dancing with the Stars...*crosses fingers*

I don't think Jeremy & Jason are that close. Jeremy in particular seems to prefer keeping his distance from Jason. He doesn't even follow Jason on twitter (though Jason does) and I've noticed that he won't reply to or retweet any of Jason's tweets . I feel like there's probably some rivalry/jealousy issues going on as far as Jeremy is concerned but that's just me. Meanwhile Jason doesn't care because he's too busy being BFFs with everyone. People have already mentioned his friendships with Polina & Grace but can I also mention how cute he and Hanyu are together?! I kind of ship them, just sayin' ;)

I haven't seen Friday's Today show but rumor is that the USFS bronze team will be heading to NY for yet another appearance on the Today show this coming Wednesday...

mintx

On the Ice
Mrs. P, I missed your post in the rant section. That makes sense that he and Gracie would be close from Chicago and he and Polina are the teenagers. Jeremy is almost 10 years older than Jason so they are at very different points in their skating careers and their lives. I knew that Simon had family in Russia so I'm glad he had a chance to see them.

Overall I think the team did a great job presenting a unified front. I'm guessing that at least part of that is planning and strategizing from the USFS staff. They seemed to be the only team of individual performers to stay in Sochi from beginning to end (missing Simon for a few days but still there before Opening at Closing) while many others ( snow boarders, skiers ) flew back to the US when they were done.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I'm glad I'm not the only crazy one looking to see who hangs with who. Simon was noticeably absent from Social media, I even tried to figure out if he went home. He is either private or did not hang with the group. ...

... Simon has family in Russia, I believe. I think I read somewhere that he and his family had plans to travel around Russia to visit them, which meant not being in Sochi the whole time.

I think Mrs. P prob. is correct re Shnapir spending time with his Russian relatives. And Castelli always has tended to be a lot "chattier" on social media than her partner, AFAIK.

From my limited observation from afar, Shnapir seems to be something of a gentle giant. :) When all the American team bronze medalists were on the Today show very early on, the anchors had a separate question for each of them. They turned to Shnapir last, and he politely answered their question (about his Russian roots, IIRC), but then I was touched that on his own he seized the opportunity to change the subject and say something very warm and fuzzy about the close friendship among all on the team -- which none of the others had had a chance to address. I believe that Shnapir added something then also -- as Castelli and he have mentioned many times in the past -- about how much they had enjoyed being part of the WTT team (meaning the 2013 edition, which included captain Wagner, Abbott, Chock/Bates, and Gold as well).

BTW, Zhang/Bartholomay did return to the U.S. well before the Closing Ceremony. (Wild, wild speculation only: I wonder whether they have any reason to suspect/believe that one of the World team pairs is going to withdraw ... and that they will get a chance to compete in Japan???)

ETA, hmmmmmm ... @felicia_zhang retweeted the following:
@peoplemag
You don't have to wait until 2018 for more figure skating. The 2014 World Championships are held next month in Saitama, Japan.
6:12 PM - 23 Feb 2014
https://twitter.com/peoplemag/statuses/437772107620298752

ETA:
... Jeremy in particular seems to prefer keeping his distance from Jason. He doesn't even follow Jason on twitter (though Jason does) and I've noticed that he won't reply to or retweet any of Jason's tweets ....

Reminder that the Team USA skaters belong to an exclusive text-messaging group amongst themselves -- which seemed to be a big "bonding" channel of communication for them -- so I would not read anything into who does or does not follow whom on Twitter. YMMV.​

merinheart

Rinkside
Reminder that the Team USA skaters belonged to an exclusive text-messaging group amongst themselves -- which seemed to be a big "bonding" channel of communication for them -- so I would not read anything into who does or does not follow whom on Twitter. YMMV.

Except that a lot of the skaters DO follow each other on twitter. Like I said, Jeremy follows pretty much everyone on the team EXCEPT Jason. Also Jason tweeted a photo of him and his teammates (including Jeremy) a few days ago. All his teammates retweeted Jason except for yes, Jeremy. He chose instead to RT a fan's RT which I found a little odd. So maybe I am reading too much into things but I have a hard time believing that Jeremy and Jason are exclusive text buddies when as it it they barely hang out with each other unless it's in a big group setting.

Forgot to add in my previous post that Jason filmed a segment for GMA this past weekend. Hopefully that clip shows up soon as well as the clips from the Today show.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
Except that a lot of the skaters DO follow each other on twitter. Like I said, Jeremy follows pretty much everyone on the team EXCEPT Jason. Also Jason tweeted a photo of him and his teammates (including Jeremy) a few days ago. All his teammates retweeted Jason except for yes, Jeremy. He chose instead to RT a fan's RT which I found a little odd. So maybe I am reading too much into things but I have a hard time believing that Jeremy and Jason are exclusive text buddies when as it it they barely hang out with each other unless it's in a big group setting.

Forgot to add in my previous post that Jason filmed a segment for GMA this past weekend. Hopefully that clip shows up soon as well as the clips from the Today show.

Jeremy and Jason get along great as do their respective families, who were referring to themselves as Team J (Jeremy and Jason). I know this from inside sources. :) Additionally, Jason has gushed about Jeremy in many interviews.

But they are almost 10 years apart and Jason hung out a lot with 15 year old Polina.

Speaking of them, how ADORABLE were they dancing during the Closing Ceremonies tonight?!?!?!?!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Except that a lot of the skaters DO follow each other on twitter. Like I said, Jeremy follows pretty much everyone on the team EXCEPT Jason. Also Jason tweeted a photo of him and his teammates (including Jeremy) a few days ago. All his teammates retweeted Jason except for yes, Jeremy. He chose instead to RT a fan's RT which I found a little odd. So maybe I am reading too much into things but I have a hard time believing that Jeremy and Jason are exclusive text buddies when as it it they barely hang out with each other unless it's in a big group setting. ...

I am aware that a lot of skaters do retweet each other tweets. But the fact that you actually have bothered to cross-check which Team USA skaters do and do not follow each other's tweets suggests to me that you might be placing too much importance on Twitter.
If you want to get technical and overthink Twitter even further, maybe Abbott does not follow Brown, but has included him on a private Twitter list. I do not follow some members of my own family, but they are on one of my private lists. And did you check whether Abbott's mother and/or sister follows the Twitter accounts of Brown's family members???.... :rolleye: (And of Brown's ponytail? ;) Just kidding, I know that last one does not actually belong to anyone from Team Brown.)
[And I hope (NOT) that you have been monitoring all the other social media too -- Has Edmunds liked more FB posts of Davis or of White? What does it mean that the Shibutanis did not tweet three of their Instagram vids? Does Chock have more Team USA photos on her Pinterest board than Castelli does? etc., etc. :laugh:]

(Not sure whether you understood about my usage of "exclusive" and maybe I am not understanding yours.
In case I was not clear, what I meant is that the Olympic skaters from Team USA belong to a text-messaging group that includes only them -- so that each skater can share texts back and forth with the collective group.)

I don't think Jeremy & Jason are that close. Jeremy in particular seems to prefer keeping his distance from Jason. He doesn't even follow Jason on twitter (though Jason does) and I've noticed that he won't reply to or retweet any of Jason's tweets . I feel like there's probably some rivalry/jealousy issues going on as far as Jeremy is concerned but that's just me. ...

In any case, I think it is a huge leap from an observation that person X does not follow person Y on Twitter ... to the supposition that X prob. has some rivalry/jealousy issues with Y. :confused2: No matter whom else X does follow. YMMV.

Jeremy and Jason get along great as do their respective families, who were referring to themselves as Team J (Jeremy and Jason). I know this from inside sources. :) Additionally, Jason has gushed about Jeremy in many interviews. ...

Hooray for Team J!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
FWIW...I don't officially follow Jason on Twitter.... :slink:

I just follow USFS/Ice Network lists. Though I might pull the trigger soon....

I agree it doesn't make sense for Jeremy to feel jealous or whatever. Jeremy is at the end of his senior career. Jason is at the start of his. Not even an apple and orange comparison...

merinheart

Rinkside
I am aware that a lot of skaters do retweet each other tweets. But the fact that you actually have bothered to cross-check which Team USA skaters do and do not follow each other's tweets suggests to me that you might be placing too much importance on Twitter.
If you want to get technical and overthink Twitter even further, maybe Abbott does not follow Brown, but has included him on a private Twitter list.

Actually it's pretty easy to cross-check who's following who because my twitter does it for me but that's besides the point. Look, I don't even care whether Jeremy follows Jason on twitter or not. It's his life. But statements like what I bolded make no sense to me. Why would he bother to put Jason on a private list yet not follow him publicly? IMO, that's overthinking it! Either he follows him or not. YMMV!

And I'm also aware that Jason and Jeremy (and their respective families) get along fine (no Tanya/Nancy scandal here), I was merely disagreeing with the notion that they have this wonderful big bro/little bro connection. Jason gushes about everyone and everything so I wouldn't take his comments seriously. IMO, they're polite colleagues, with MAYBE a dash of rivalry between them, which is certainly not uncommon in the competitive figure skating world. Based on his comments to the media, I get the feeling that Jeremy's on a vendetta to prove his critics wrong and make his mark as one of the bests in USFS as he closes out his senior career. And MAYBE he feels threatened by Jason coming out of nowhere and stealing his thunder, who knows? JMO. Jeremy has really fallen out of favor with me this Olympics due to his unsportsmanlike comments/behavior so I fully admit that I'm a tad biased in my observations of him. I have never bashed him personally on his twitter though. I just occasionally vent my displeasure on forums such as this. ;) But I'd rather not keep spoiling this otherwise lovely & positive thread on Jason with a on-going discussion on Jeremy so I shall move on from this topic now.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Show and tell coming up?

https://twitter.com/jasonbskates/status/438053212814192640

Jason Brown
‏@jasonbskates
Walked through my hair regiment a few days ago with @jenperos! Quite the process!! Hahaha @2014PonyPower pic.twitter.com/g7ggv2aGhJ
12:49 PM - 24 Feb 2014

That boy uses way more product that me! I also have naturally wavy hair, so perhaps I can get a tip or two for myself? :laugh:

Also i wonder, should all the posts from the Jason goes viral thread be moved to here? It sort of became the de-facto fan thread during the Olympics...