Jason Brown | Page 106 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

TMC

Record Breaker
As I've been rewatching his T&I program, I wondered.... Is it me, or is he a little faster than last year? I'm really not good with these things, so it might just be my imagination - so I thought you'd be the best people to ask. :) So, what say all of you?

I thought so but didn't say anything because I thought maybe I'm just seeing what I want to see ;)

So I'm glad I wasn't alone. I noticed especially the transition from the 1st spin to the combination jump; he seemed less laboured and seemed to cover a lot more ice with fewer pushes.

But, it is very different live so I'm looking forward to comments from those who see him live!

Why do they insist on moving the 3a to the 2nd half? It's not like he managed two clean 3Axels in a row in the 1st half last season...

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I stumbled across a much higher quality version of his Skate America Free Skate on youtube. At least it looks better than most of the others I have seen. Thought some of you may like seeing it.

Thx Stitch Monkey. Also appreciated Tara and Johnny; I found Tara much less irritating here than on some of her Olympic commentary

noskates

Record Breaker
GREAT You tube. Thanks Stitch! I think he is skating faster this year but it could be due to the different choreography. There were so many quick steps in Riverdance that it was hard to build up alot of speed over the program. But it was traumatic for ME, too, to see Jason fall. A rare occurrence. Tara actually made sense in her evaluation of his program and I loved that Johnny pointed out why Jason's second 3A failed. Quite frankly, no one else on television gets down to the nitty gritty on jumps the way Johnny does. I don't care if he wears a leopard print muu muu with patent leather clogs as long as he keeps up the good commentary.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
GREAT You tube. Thanks Stitch! I think he is skating faster this year but it could be due to the different choreography. There were so many quick steps in Riverdance that it was hard to build up alot of speed over the program. But it was traumatic for ME, too, to see Jason fall. A rare occurrence. Tara actually made sense in her evaluation of his program and I loved that Johnny pointed out why Jason's second 3A failed. Quite frankly, no one else on television gets down to the nitty gritty on jumps the way Johnny does. I don't care if he wears a leopard print muu muu with patent leather clogs as long as he keeps up the good commentary.

I tend to agree that they do a better job than a lot of others in explaining it. Granted they also likely recorded it after the fact and had a script to match what happened. Even just using the term "grade of execution" is helpful to viewers. Johnny simplified it pretty reasonably and fairly in saying Jason relies on how well he does the moves more than how hard they are, that is something a lot of casuals can understand. And like you said, it is nice to hear them talk about the mechanics of how these moves work and what went wrong. In someways I actually like the juxtaposition. Wear crazy stuff, and sound smart, I love it!

As for the falls, well I am more pleased with how the rest of the programs went after. He did not fall apart. He moved on and kept up the performance, he did not tense up and let it unravel. Falling does not need to be as scary for him now. He knows, and everyone else knows, he can do well and keep up the performance and game face with a fall. It happens, move on, now he has shown he knows how to move on and not let it rattle him. Better to learn that in the grand prix than at worlds and it is a lesson skaters need to learn.

I also think he deserves some more credit than he is getting for the fact that he only had one UR (on the FS axel he fell on) at this competition. It shows he is able to address and correct issues.

In the end I am looking forward to this week in Russia. I would so love to see him make the GPF as I am sure others would as well.

BTW how many others have put two and two together that 2016 worlds is in the same venue as Riverdance at nationals? Should give him some positive energy.

noskates

Record Breaker
Ahhhhh - not only have I put two and two together but I already have tickets for the 2016 Worlds!!!!

My main gripe right now in the skating world is that Jason is being put down because he doesn't have a quad in his program. Have said it before - a program's effectiveness and success should NOT rest on the execution or ATTEMPTED execution of one jump!!! In fact I really don't think it should rest on jumps at all - it should be well-balanced with good choreo, musicality, spins and jumps! But some have written Jason off for this year because of one jump! One jump that many others are landing on their butts. I, too, am looking forward to CoR and hope that he skates lights out!!!!

As for recovering after a fall, I think Kori has him so well-trained (mind and body) that he just is able to recover and continue.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Ahhhhh - not only have I put two and two together but I already have tickets for the 2016 Worlds!!!!

My main gripe right now in the skating world is that Jason is being put down because he doesn't have a quad in his program. Have said it before - a program's effectiveness and success should NOT rest on the execution or ATTEMPTED execution of one jump!!! In fact I really don't think it should rest on jumps at all - it should be well-balanced with good choreo, musicality, spins and jumps! But some have written Jason off for this year because of one jump! One jump that many others are landing on their butts. I, too, am looking forward to CoR and hope that he skates lights out!!!!

As for recovering after a fall, I think Kori has him so well-trained (mind and body) that he just is able to recover and continue.

Everything is a pendulum. The pendulum has been swinging to favor the quad for awhile now, it got a little out of control, now it is swinging back. The butt quads were only going to work for so long. And I think his team saw that. The pendulum is swinging back. Look at how many skaters have admitted to working on "transitions" over jumps. Look at the commenters saying "Maybe X skater should not do the quad" would that have happened a year ago? I am not sure if Max is even trying to quad toe this year.

At this point I just laugh and laugh when they bring up the quad and Jason. At this point it is just helping him. Jason does what he does and does it well. . . and surprise he is rewarded for it. Jason and co also are looking much longer term than one season. Why put in a quad when there is no need for it? The more people fret about the quad, the more attention he gets when he does well without one, and the higher his scores are going to go when he does add one. I love it. I think it is fair to say that there are powers that be that want the quad in skating over all, so Jason's scores kinda have to go up when he adds in a quad. Think about it, that would happen if Jason got unusually low scores on his first landed quad? People would be analyzing the judging like maniacs, and arguing that if he was not rewarded, he should not do it. No one wants to serve up that argument. No one wants Jason to be able to say "My scores went down the with quad so no I am not doing it" so he has created this rather amusing trump card he can potentially pull out whenever it suits him. The more people make a bid deal about the quad. . . the more the judges kinda are backed into a corner of having to reward it.

Jason is a more complete skater, and that makes him more interesting and enjoyable to watch. I wish more skaters would take more of a page out of his book. I wish more skaters rather than adding a second quad or a quad combo would explore doing a Rippon/Tano quad instead. I would rather see them perfecting their quads, not adding quads.

I am glad that he is well trained as you say. I always had a bit of the impression part of the reason he and his team go so strongly for consistency, and content he can do is that they felt that he needs that to do well. Some skaters struggle to recover from a fall/problem. I do think there was a fear that Jason was one of those skaters, but surprise he proved everyone wrong once again. Beyond that. . . the quad likely is seen as less of a risky move. So what if he does not land his first one, he can get silver with a fall on an axel, he no longer is the skater that has to be clean and perfect to contend. Before falling on the quad would have hurt his reputation, now he has enough of a name that it would not have the same effect.

I still don't think he should try it anytime soon. As I said it is a trump card, it does not need to be played during the first year of the . . . quad (maybe we should start talking about quadriceps just to really muddy the water). I am very much on the drive those scores up as high as you can without it. Ring and squeeze every point you can out of the system without the quad. . . then add it. Then he starts with a higher starting floor. Smart move I say. No need to use his trump card to dominate the first part of the quad.

I used to joke about a Jason Brown drinking game of have a drink whenever someone says "he doesn't have the quad" but I don't think my liver could take it!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Real World Problems:

Jason and Max are both A picks for US Fantasy Skating this weekend. HELP!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I feel your pain; the CoR GPF game has the same conundrum (and Artur besides)

At least USFSA Fantasy Skating put Artur in B. I was really worried for a bit they were going to end up all three together.

Reckon this one's going to come down to a coin flip. I was going to pick Javier just to avoid having to choose but then I remembered he has tendonitis so he mightn't even compete.

TMC

Record Breaker
At least USFSA Fantasy Skating put Artur in B. I was really worried for a bit they were going to end up all three together.

Reckon this one's going to come down to a coin flip. I was going to pick Javier just to avoid having to choose but then I remembered he has tendonitis so he mightn't even compete.

I actually picked Javi just so I wouldn't have to choose :biggrin:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
So I wake up to find that Jason is on his way to Russia and it is 3 degrees (-16 Celsius) out! (I live about an hour from where he trains). It occurs to me that I am mildly jealous of Jason for getting to escape to Russia for better weather.

Moscow's low of 38 (or 3.3333333 Celsius it seems) sounds pretty good right now!

At least I have cats to keep me warm.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
weather on your side is crazy. good luck to Jason.

We were 70 (21.1111 C) on Sunday. Monday we had a high of 64 (17.777) and a low of 12 (-11.1111). Crazy is the only reasonable way to describe Colorado weather. Snow on the ground and t-shirts with shorts weather in the same week is considered normal.

Glad the skaters made it out ok. It is worse today than yesterday. Tom Z sent a tweet out about an itinerary change.

alabhaois

On the Ice
Oh, how sad about Shep Goldberg. Sixty-five isn't so very old these days. I'm so sorry to hear that. :(

Last edited: