Jason Brown | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

babyskate

On the Ice
I totally want that t-shirt! We should get some made. :)

And The video is officially at over 1 million views!

Count me in for a t shirt. I think my non-skating friends always thought I was exaggerating when I spoke about what a stand out skater he was. Now they are believers.

phaeljones

On the Ice
Jason's skating is magical, beautiful and solid. It is more than merely the achievement of a score but, as well, it is an experience shared between the audience and him. His off-ice personality, his humility, kindness and fun-ness, completes a great picture. It is wonderful to see him get the recognition AND to see that there is recognition.

Matilda

Medalist
I want one of those t-shirts, too! :)

Also second the "Jason is the nicest kid". I chatted with him in the Nationals last year, and he really is a sweetheart. I hope I'll get to see him perform live again soon!

gottadance

On the Ice
I just saw the buzzfeed video of Jason's FS linked on facebook by some of my Australian relatives, who are definitely not skating ubers or even skating fans!! Exciting stuff. Jason is fabulous. I think America's been trying to hype up their ladies to make another Kwan, or someone as marketable as Kwan, so much so that they've overlooked Jason. He could be where the skating revival starts (at least in America, there's no skating revival necessary in, say, Japan).

He has a really special quality and fabulous performing skills, and he's been successfully upping the technical difficulty of his skating over the years, and I (somewhat superficially) feel like ordering an "I was a Jason fan before 2014" shirt now :laugh:

I totally agree with your opinion about Jason as somebody who can revive interest in figure skating in the US . I hope the USFSA will use him for that - he is just such a natural - he brings a smile to ones face whether he is skating or being interviewed. But since the USFSA , in their great wisdom( being sarcastic !!) didn't put him on the Worlds team they might now find it hard to hype him as the next big thing ! Duh! Count me in for a T shirt !!!! I have loved him for at leat 3 seasons and I was just waiting for him to burst onto the scene ! Kudos to his coach too!

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
He'll be all right. They already had that moment at Skate America, remember? He was being hyped after the short, had an uncharacteristically bad long (by his standards) and then recovered to handle the pressure much better at TEB a few weeks later.

I will buy it! :D

Over a million. I can hardly believe it. I'll bet it hits Australian media soon.

I don't know if there's a comparison between being 2nd after the short and having your video going viral (seriously, it's all over my facebook feed and I have about 2 skating friends. If that. Like normal people are sharing it.) Jason, I love you! Tune it out! Just focus on skating two clean programs in Sochi.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Indeed!

Also, I just got an email notice from Mashable that they predict that its post on Jason is going to go viral. :biggrin: So far there has been 9,800 shares of the post so far, far outranking most of the stories on the website.

Never in my wildest dreams would I expect this to happen. As a fan, I am absolutely thrilled that he is getting so much attention and praise.

I have questions about the Mashable e-mail, Mrs. P.
I hasten to add -- in case others might misunderstand -- that I am not doubting Jason's extreme popularity. Just trying to learn something about social media.

So I am curious:
Do you know whether Mashable has an absolute litmus test, so to speak, for what it considers "going viral"? A certain number of views or shares? Or a certain rate of views per hour or shares per hour?

Again, my questions have nothing to do directly with Jason. I am happy that he is a very good ambassador for skating. :)

Also glad that it is a great piece of men's skating that is getting so much attention. [I've never understood why the general public (at least in the U.S.) supposedly cares more about ladies than other disciplines.]

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Knowing Jason, he's probably still soaking it all in and enjoying the ride. I know Kori is going to keep him grounded, as she usually does.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I have questions about the Mashable e-mail, Mrs. P.
I hasten to add -- in case others might misunderstand -- that I am not doubting Jason's extreme popularity. Just trying to learn something about social media.

So I am curious:
Do you know whether Mashable has an absolute litmus test, so to speak, for what it considers "going viral"? A certain number of views or shares? Or a certain rate of views per hour or shares per hour?

Again, my questions have nothing to do directly with Jason. I am happy that he is a very good ambassador for skating. :)

Also glad that it is a great piece of men's skating that is getting so much attention. [I've never understood why the general public (at least in the U.S.) supposedly cares more about ladies than other disciplines.]

Here's what Mashable says about predicting viral
potential:

Mashable built a system called Velocity, which scours the social web, collecting lots and lots of data around how people are engaging with published articles. It then pulls all of that data back to Mashable, dumps it into our own predictive engine, and predicts which articles are about to go viral.

It is likely looking to see the amount the engagement the piece is getting, not just in shares, but comments on its site and social media. One of my friends noted that half her news feed was about Jason and it wasn't just because of me posting articles. Two of my friends flat out said that Jason commanded their attention. One said that Jason's performance "can make spirits soar!"

As of right now, the Mashable article had 42k views, well above any other article they posted in the last day or so.

View count update: 1.58 million!!! Could his video beat Starr Andrews?! (Who was on the podium at the juvenile level at nationals this year. )

Also agree that it is nice that a U.S. man is getting attention. Ladies, to me, were the weakest of all the disciplines at this nationals, which is ironic given the fact we have three spots. Also this whole thing (and this thread) enables me to avoid all the controversy/trolling/vitriol regarding the Ladies team selection. Yet one more reason to love Jason! (Though I agree it is sad that Gracie's strong performances are being overshadowed.)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Here's what Mashable says about predicting viral
potential:

Mashable built a system called Velocity, which scours the social web, collecting lots and lots of data around how people are engaging with published articles. It then pulls all of that data back to Mashable, dumps it into our own predictive engine, and predicts which articles are about to go viral.

It is likely looking to see the amount the engagement the piece is getting, not just in shares, but comments on its site and social media. One of my friends noted that half her news feed was about Jason and it wasn't just because of me posting articles. Two of my friends flat out said that Jason commanded their attention. One said that Jason's performance can make spirits soar!"

As of right now, the Mashable article had 42k views, well above any other article they posted in the last day or so.

View count update: 1.58 million!!! Could his video beat Starr Andrews?! (Who was on the podium at the juvenile level at nationals this year. )

Also agree that it is nice that a U.S. man is getting attention. Ladies, to me, were the weakest of all the disciplines at this nationals, which is ironic given the fact we have three spots. Also this whole thing (and this thread) enables to avoid all the controversy/trolling/vitriol regarding the Ladies team selection. Yet one more reason to love Jason! (Though I agree it is sad that Gracie's strong performances are being overshadowed.)

Thanks for your informative reply, Mrs. P.
(I have highlighted my favorite part. ;) You and karne are two of the reasons that I started paying more and more attention to Jason over the past couple of seasons. My thanks to both of you.)

Really happy for Jason and Kori ... but (sigh) I do regret so much that the Men did not have three spots this year.

And I hope that I am not about to taint this thread (after you just got through saying that it is a safe haven from the Ladies controversy), but I found the answer about Mashable's Velocity system somewhat pertinent to the discussion of the USFS Olympic selection procedure. Interesting that Mashable does not rely on a single metric, but has devised a system that incorporates a lot of data, plus "our own predictive engine" (presumably designed around what its brain trust believes is important).
My point is that for USFS to consider multiple factors and to use its own discretion (which is not spelled out for the public) is not some kind of bizarre aberration from common practice in the world in general. (That said, my heart goes out to Mirai.)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
They really ate him up! You could see them; I don't know if they believed he was real! (I don't think they ever encountered someone who talks as much as Jason, either :laugh:)

It's nice to see the hair out of the ponytail for once too!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Readers of this thread will remember the discussion [ETA: in December] (on page 2 of the Michelle Kwan fan thread) of the photo that she tweeted of Arsenio Hall and herself as fellow party guests somewhere.

Arsenio then had tweeted the photo to his friend Jason, who responded that he was jealous b/c of his admiration for Kwan. The photo reminded us of Jason's summer blog in which he mentioned he had been too shy to approach Kwan at the East West Arena, and we hoped that Jason's friendship with Arsenio might help Kwan take notice of Jason in the future.

But ... now it turns out that Jason got Michelle's attention on his own. And he even got a hug from her. :)

@ArsenioHall
Hey @MichelleWKwan, I'm so happy for my friend @jasonbskates!!! #blessings 😎👍
9:44 AM - 13 Jan 2014
https://twitter.com/ArsenioHall/status/422786223430574080

‏@MichelleWKwan
.@ArsenioHall you should've been there! @jasonbskates skated brilliantly & I had a chance to give him a congratulatory hug @USFigureSkating
10:24 AM - 13 Jan 14
https://twitter.com/MichelleWKwan/status/422796381557116928

Forgive me if this moment is old news. I had not read about it elsewhere, and I'm tickled for Jason.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Readers of this thread will remember the discussion (on page 2 of the Michelle Kwan fan thread) of the photo that she tweeted of Arsenio Hall and herself as fellow party guests somewhere.

Arsenio then had tweeted the photo to his friend Jason, who responded that he was jealous b/c of his admiration for Kwan. The photo reminded us of Jason's summer blog in which he mentioned he had been too shy to approach Kwan at the East West Arena, and we hoped that Jason's friendship with Arsenio might help Kwan take notice of Jason in the future.

But ... now it turns out that Jason got Michelle's attention on his own. And he got a hug. :)

@ArsenioHall
Hey @MichelleWKwan, I'm so happy for my friend @jasonbskates!!! #blessings 😎👍
9:44 AM - 13 Jan 2014
https://twitter.com/ArsenioHall/status/422786223430574080

‏@MichelleWKwan
.@ArsenioHall you should've been there! @jasonbskates skated brilliantly & I had a chance to give him a congratulatory hug @USFigureSkating
10:24 AM - 13 Jan 14
https://twitter.com/MichelleWKwan/status/422796381557116928

Forgive me if this is old news. I had not read about it elsewhere, and I'm tickled for Jason.

Oh, yay! I'm happy to hear that he got to talk to Michelle and a nice hug too! :)

Speaking of the blog, I hope we see another entry soon now that he is a member of the Olympic team! Actually I hope he gets to write several....that would be awesome.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Oh, yay! I'm happy to hear that he got to talk to Michelle and a nice hug too! :)

Speaking of the blog, I hope we see another entry soon now that he is a member of the Olympic team! Actually I hope he gets to write several....that would be awesome.

~ Yes, would love more blogging from Jason.

~ One of the things Kwan and he have in common (besides being fellow Olympians ;)) is that they both are giving us some terrific tweets, after joining Twitter relatively recently.

I really appreciate that Kwan retweeted this one (and that Stojko sent it in the first place):

Elvis Stojko
‏@Therealestojko
Head up high @MaxTAaron .. bright future.. follow your path and be strong! Cheers to you!
2:14 PM - 12 Jan 14
https://twitter.com/Therealestojko/status/422491684451004417

And I hope that Max received his own in-person hug of support from Kwan too. :)

~ Sorry, too many threads all over the place now, but I wanted to comment on the one discussing whether Mirai could benefit from training under Kori Ade alongside Jason:
I agree that Jason's cheery company would be a boost to anyone's morale.
And I'm reminded that in an old blog of Gracie Gold's, she credited Jason (and Alexander Johnson) for helping her mentally regroup after her 9th place SP at last year's Nationals in Omaha.​

ice coverage

Record Breaker

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
http://morningnews.wgntv.com/2014/01/15/chicago-area-ice-skater-on-heading-to-olympics-shaggy-hair/

Interview with WGN, a tv station in his hometown of Chicago. Jason is really excited! I think he still can't believe everything that is happening.

Also the anchors totally going wild for Jason's hair sans ponytail is just hilarious!

Thank you so much for posting that. What I found touching was the reaction of the anchors there when the interview was over: What a nice guy! I think that may be the ultimate secret of his success. Genuine and nice. Goes a long way baby (well yeah and enormous talent and charisma don't hurt neither!).