Jason Brown | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Since i saw his program for the first time I always had in my mind the idea of him at nationals making everyone going nuts about it, glad it came true and also all the exposure and attention he is getting is amazing! only 7k+ for 2 millions

I totally had the same vision! I imagined that he would be in the final group at nationals, skate clean and get a roaring standing ovation (and make the Olympics!). I didn't envision 2 million + views on YouTube or the fact that Jason would show up on all my favorite public radio shows/websites. :biggrin:

And for those who are counting: 2,044,481. WOAH!!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Just listened to Jason on "On Point." They played some clips from the NBC broadcast.

Jason talks about the amount of endurance training he did because of the difficulty of the Riverdance free skate; that USFSA hasn't decided which skaters would participate in the team event (and said he would love to be part of it if asked). Jason was asked about his thought on the anti-gay law in Sochi. He said that he "doesn't completely agree with it" but said is focused on training and representing his country. Not the most outspoken answer (didn't really expect one given his personality), but I felt he didn't avoid it.

Jason's interview is about 8 minute long, but the whole hour is worth a listen, lots of interesting insight regarding the political/cultural climate of Sochi leading up to the Olympic games, not just the anti-gay law.

I believe there will be a streaming recording posted here later: http://onpoint.wbur.org/2014/01/17/sochi-2014-mikaela-shiffrin-jason-brown

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Mrs. P, That was an interesting program.

It was! On Point is one of my favorite radio shows. Tom Ashbrook is an excellent interviewer and the On Point staff is really good about getting really thoughtful/smart people on the show. I actually thought that they would try to press the politics issue more to the athletes given the overall topic of the show.

Via Jason's web site, he will be on Arsenio Hall a week from today (Jan. 24). For those of you in California, you can get tickets here: http://on-camera-audiences.com/shows/The_Arsenio_Hall_Show/201312101500

I love the other guests that will be there: Chuck D (Public Enemy), Rapper's Delight, Luther Campbell, and DJ Spinderella (from Salt 'n Pepa)!! Basically hip-hop legends.... I just went through a total nostalgic youtube flashback!! I wonder if Jason is a hip-hop fan? I know he's mentioned that he's taken hip-hop classes. (Well his exhibition is to MC Hammer, so obviously he's aware...._

Good news, is that the show is on broadcast, which is great news for me since I don't have cable! Can't wait!!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I definitely want to see it. I wonder whether Arsenio will play a clip of his exhibition? With that guest list it would so work :)

Something I didn't know that I learned from that interview: Jason is the first teenage guy since 1976 to represent the US at the Olympics in skating.

And his video now has 2,289,115 views.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
As of right now, the video has 2,469,456 views.

That means in 16 hours, the video has received more than 11,271 views an hour, wow!

Also I will note that Jason's FS has outpaced the (in)famous wardrobe malfunction CD video. :) However, he has about 13 million views to go to beat Starr Andrews. ;)

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Happy to hear that Jason is going to be on Arsenio on Friday - I knew he'd be on, just a matter of when it would happen. He must be bursting with pride over what's happened to Jason this past week!

Thanks to Mrs. P, I looked at some skates of JB's choreographer, Rohene Ward. Besides the obvious ponytail, there is definitely a similarity and you can see where he's using some of the same moves in "The Question of U." This is his short from 2006 Nationals, which he choreographed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4bYwkmccnk

Layfan

Record Breaker
I definitely want to see it. I wonder whether Arsenio will play a clip of his exhibition? With that guest list it would so work :)

Something I didn't know that I learned from that interview: Jason is the first teenage guy since 1976 to represent the US at the Olympics in skating.

And his video now has 2,289,115 views.

I just now rewatched it and saw that number!!!! I thought can that be RIGHT? how is it even possible. Cannot wait to see him at the Olympics.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
And now I've seen everything!

keltieknight
‏@KeltieKnight
thanks @jasonbskates for the super fun skate date for @TheInsider today!!! #insider #Sochi2014 pic.twitter.com/r7RP9N66UK
https://twitter.com/KeltieKnight/status/425399368867266561/photo/1

The Insider is a daily entertainment and gossip show.

That is the total opposite of "On Point." Jason is bringing all sorts of demographics together!

Thanks to missing for posting the tweet on FSU.

And just in case you were wondering: 2,654,066.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Jason -can he win gold without the quad after the huge stink that some made about Evan? I would love to see these programs win gold. I recall another great dance team did their FD to Riverdance-Bourne/Kraatz. It was awesome. 1998 it was, so memorable and if Ice dance were fairly judged in those dark days for ice dance, they would have gold!

Love Rohene, and Jason. Upset of the games it would be. He has won so many heart already thanks to social media! Go Jason. I am finally someone's uber!

Corporate sponsors better get on the bandwagon! Jason Brown says drink Coca Cola. Jason Brown says wear Lee jeans. :)

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
Jason -can he win gold without the quad after the huge stink that some made about Evan? I would love to see these programs win gold. I recall another great dance team did their FD to Riverdance-Bourne/Kraatz. It was awesome. 1998 it was, so memorable and if Ice dance were fairly judged in those dark days for ice dance, they would have gold!

Honestly? I hope not. I was actually glad he landed in second at Nationals - winning such a big competition brings so much pressure that can hurt even the most level-headed skater. I'd rather see his career progress slowly but surely than see him peak early and be unable to meet expectations later. Ideally, I hope to see him skate his heart out in Sochi, have a strong finish, and continue building a decorated, long-lasting career.

I think that's one reason I worry just a bit about all the media attention he's getting now, because it COULD distract a skater from their training or create pressure to re-create the special performance he had at Nationals. That being said, Kori and Jason both seem quite level-headed and if any coach can keep him calm and focused going into Sochi, it's her.

noskates

Record Breaker
Hyena, I was thinking along the very same lines. But from what I've read about Kori Ade she reallydoes keep him grounded. He appears to have great trust in her. He has a strong support system and the fact that he's still completely in awe of what he's done makes me think he'll be okay. He really is a very, very humble young man that doesn't seem to have an arrogant bone in his body. I would like to see him in at least a top 10 finish, start using the quad he has (he's been landing it pretty regularly in practice) and keep building on his talents. It would be nice to see him dominate US men's figure skating but he still has people like Josh Farris to contend with. I dont' think there's a male skater in the US that his Jason's charisma though. I can hardly wait to see what Rohene has planned for his programs next year!!!

But above all - I truly hope Jason has a great time at the Olympics and skates 2 clean programs!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

Love Rohene, and Jason. Upset of the games it would be. He has won so many heart already thanks to social media! Go Jason. I am finally someone's uber!

Well people as exciting as it is with Jason. There are a few things. His skating skills and transitions are not that of Dai or Chan. His jumps are lacking content and while he has good other jumps and spins and footwork it is not really better than Javier, Chan, Dai, Hanyu, Ten or Machida and all. Remember he attempted 3 triple axels in Boston and only one was totally clean. Even technically challenged Chan has 3 quads. he also will have to deal with the pressure of a major competition something new to him. I think for hm to get gold you would need amelt down from Dai, Hanyu, Ten, Chan, Javier, Plushy or the Russian, the Chinese, Brezina, Verner, Joubert and or Amodio as well as his teammate Abbott. 12 melt downs in one event - possible but doubtful. He has great style, great audience appeal factor and wonderful feet for Riverdance.