Jason Brown | Page 14 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

Gymfan15

On the Ice
Jason having the same jump content as Evan doesn't mean anything nowadays because the competition is SO much stiffer and people are landing harder jumps more consistently. If Jason was competing four years ago; he might have challenged for the podium but I dunno; like you said he is very young and as wonderful as he is, he still has a ways to go. BUT, he is getting there and FINALLY people are starting to notice and get excited.

My wish for Jason for Sochi is to skate the team event, get an Olympic medal (!!! :D :D :D) and put in two clean, electric performances that makes all the other skaters pray he never gets his quad because he'll be coming for their World titles soon.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Did jason not having a quad matter to anyone in he US this year? Nope. Judges gave him the scores To win the fs and he was barely behind quad performing skaters in the sp. no one cares and scores can rise in pcs and goe and just like us judges international judges can make brown a medalist or the winner in Sochi. They may even do It accidentally!!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Did jason not having a quad matter to anyone in he US this year? Nope. Judges gave him the scores To win the fs and he was barely behind quad performing skaters in the sp. no one cares and scores can rise in pcs and goe and just like us judges international judges can make brown a medalist or the winner in Sochi. They may even do It accidentally!!

:laugh: Pray tell, how exactly do you accidentally give someone a medal?

Hyena, I was thinking along the very same lines. But from what I've read about Kori Ade she reallydoes keep him grounded. He appears to have great trust in her. He has a strong support system and the fact that he's still completely in awe of what he's done makes me think he'll be okay. He really is a very, very humble young man that doesn't seem to have an arrogant bone in his body. I would like to see him in at least a top 10 finish, start using the quad he has (he's been landing it pretty regularly in practice) and keep building on his talents. It would be nice to see him dominate US men's figure skating but he still has people like Josh Farris to contend with. I dont' think there's a male skater in the US that his Jason's charisma though. I can hardly wait to see what Rohene has planned for his programs next year!!!

But above all - I truly hope Jason has a great time at the Olympics and skates 2 clean programs!

+1 on skating two clean programs! And on all your other points.

Jason (and Kori) has said time and again that 2018 is the end game (and perhaps even 2022 if healthy) and that he wants to skate for many, many years. Making the Olympics in 2014 just gives him valuable experience and the opportunity to compete against the best before they retire (Daisuke Takahashi, namely).

Jason has been super gracious to every person who has interviewed him so far. If I had a dollar for every time Jason said "thank you" in his interviews, I'd be a millionaire! :laugh: It's quite adorable how in awe and excited he's been in the last week.

gmyers

Record Breaker

:

Say a judge believes in Olympic gold medalist in men's should do a quad but Jason skates and gets plus 3's or 2's on every technical element and near 10's in pcs just like in us nationals he could win the fs and win Sochi or medal. It's not 6.0 judges don't rank skaters. They just score them and just like in the US you can have brown being the winner of the fs. Just like he won nearly eveything as a jr being a jump behind. He won jr worlds fs. So he's a jump behind. He's only one jump behind and you don't need it to win. People who say that it is needed are thinking in broad terms but there's nothing in cop that says quads make a winner in men's senior skating.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Say a judge believes in Olympic gold medalist in men's should do a quad but Jason skates and gets plus 3's or 2's on every technical element and near 10's in pcs just like in us nationals he could win the fs and win Sochi or medal. It's not 6.0 judges don't rank skaters. They just score them and just like in the US you can have brown being the winner of the fs. Just like he won nearly eveything as a jr being a jump behind. He won jr worlds fs. So he's a jump behind. He's only one jump behind and you don't need it to win. People who say that it is needed are thinking in broad terms but there's nothing in cop that says quads make a winner in men's senior skating.

All I can say is :laugh:

Gymfan15

On the Ice
Realistically, there's only like ten guys who are going to the Olympics with a real shot to medal. Only three or four who really have a chance to win. That's just how the numbers shake out. The rest are going for the experience, a good result, or just the honor of going.

Jason is going because he can. Not because he's a medal threat, but because he is an amazing and talented skater who earned himself a berth. A solid showing at the Olympics would do wonders to set him up for a strong season next year, let alone Worlds which he still may go to if Jeremy withdraws. Depending on who goes to Worlds, Jason could get a lot closer to the podium or on it (think Kimmie Meissner a bit). Anyway, Jason has been getting amazing scores all season for great skates, but he was also a first year senior...imagine how the judges will rank him next year if he keeps skating like he's skating but adds a quad. We're talking World Champion material.

Anyway, Jason is an amazing, talented skater, but you have to be realistic; he skated lights out at Nationals and didn't even beat Jeremy Abbott who isn't exactly a gold medal threat in Sochi himself. This isn't an Evan/Jeremy situation like four years ago.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
e
Jason having the same jump content as Evan doesn't mean anything nowadays because the competition is SO much stiffer and people are landing harder jumps more consistently. If Jason was competing four years ago; he might have challenged for the podium but I dunno; like you said he is very young and as wonderful as he is, he still has a ways to go. BUT, he is getting there and FINALLY people are starting to notice and get excited.

My wish for Jason for Sochi is to skate the team event, get an Olympic medal (!!! :D :D :D) and put in two clean, electric performances that makes all the other skaters pray he never gets his quad because he'll be coming for their World titles soon.

Exactly and the other problem is he didn't cleanly land the axels althoug the rest of his skating should be higher or better than Evan. But now Chan has improved artistically and technically and he isn't even the greatest threat you have the great Hanyu, Ten and Fernandez et al.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

+1 on skating two clean programs! And on all your other points.

Jason (and Kori) has said time and again that 2018 is the end game (and perhaps even 2022 if healthy) and that he wants to skate for many, many years. Making the Olympics in 2014 just gives him valuable experience and the opportunity to compete against the best before they retire (Daisuke Takahashi, namely).

Jason has been super gracious to every person who has interviewed him so far. If I had a dollar for every time Jason said "thank you" in his interviews, I'd be a millionaire! :laugh: It's quite adorable how in awe and excited he's been in the last week.

yes he is very gracious like actress Susan Lucci who is so gracious even when she loses which has been a lot.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Realistically, there's only like ten guys who are going to the Olympics with a real shot to medal. Only three or four who really have a chance to win. That's just how the numbers shake out. The rest are going for the experience, a good result, or just the honor of going.

Jason is going because he can. Not because he's a medal threat, but because he is an amazing and talented skater who earned himself a berth. A solid showing at the Olympics would do wonders to set him up for a strong season next year, let alone Worlds which he still may go to if Jeremy withdraws. Depending on who goes to Worlds, Jason could get a lot closer to the podium or on it (think Kimmie Meissner a bit). Anyway, Jason has been getting amazing scores all season for great skates, but he was also a first year senior...imagine how the judges will rank him next year if he keeps skating like he's skating but adds a quad. We're talking World Champion material.

Anyway, Jason is an amazing, talented skater, but you have to be realistic; he skated lights out at Nationals and didn't even beat Jeremy Abbott who isn't exactly a gold medal threat in Sochi himself. This isn't an Evan/Jeremy situation like four years ago.

He did beat Abbott in the fs. He lost by 4 points. He didn't get all the sp score he could. You reiterate a point I made about he huge scores of brown all throughout the season. He won a gp medal too. There's not a rule that says anyone needs quad to get the highest scores or good scores and judges love Jason evrywhere he goes and he basically wins or medals everywhere he goes but that wouldn't be Sochi if he skated well? Why? It doesn't matter that he doesn't do a quad to anyone or IJS.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

Exactly but he is super still give him some time.

Gymfan15

On the Ice
He did beat Abbott in the fs. He lost by 4 points. He didn't get all the sp score he could. You reiterate a point I made about he huge scores of brown all throughout the season. He won a gp medal too. There's not a rule that says anyone needs quad to get the highest scores or good scores and judges love Jason evrywhere he goes and he basically wins or medals everywhere he goes but that wouldn't be Sochi if he skated well? Why? It doesn't matter that he doesn't do a quad to anyone or IJS.

The quad does matter for the same reason that you just said; Jason lost because of the short. You can make up points in the long if you don't have the hardest jumps but it much, MUCH harder to do it in the short. Figure skating isn't a "best long program wins" sport; it's a combination of both and the short does matter; it matters a lot.

And anyway; the fact that Jason has a GP bronze is "somewhat" irrelevant because A) almost the entire field completely bombed and B) he was TWENTY POINTS out of second and FIFTY out of gold. Granted, it's Chan and Hanyu we're talking about, but they're they ones who will be competing at the Olympics, and one does not overcome a FIFTY POINT deficit even IF his jumps weren't super at TEB. He can whittle down the margin but not enough to win.

Anyway, it's weird to be arguing this fact because I freakin' love Jason Brown and it would make my life if he won a medal in Sochi. I'm just being realistic and I don't want people have expectations of Jason that he can't possibly fulfill unless it's absolute trasher of a competition for everyone else (and really, who wants that?). I'd rather Jason win his medals by soundly beating everyone as opposed to getting a lot of help from everyone else's falls.

ETA: If you take Jason's scores from Nats and put them into TEB, he wins the silver but is still 25 points behind Chan. Once you factor in Nationals inflation, yeah, there's no way.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
yes he is very gracious like actress Susan Lucci who is so gracious even when she loses which has been a lot.

Are you really comparing Jason to a soap opera actress?! :laugh:

Agree all points. And I kind of like the fact we've gotten to see him "grow up" gradually. And he needs those experiences along the way, good and bad, to grow into that top-level skater. Not everyone has a fast blaze to the top. Even Patrick Chan didn't medal at his first Olympics. Or Daisuke Takahashi.

Phil Hersh wrote this article back in 2011, after Jason's debut at U.S. Nationals as a senior: http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com...ter-brown-hopes-to-follow-lysaceks-path-.html

Here are my last words on the 2011 U.S. Figure Skating Championships.

And the first I ever have written about Jason Brown.

But they certainly won't be the last, given how well the 16-year-old sophomore at Highland Park High School skated to finish ninth in his senior level debut at nationals.

Has this put him on a similar path to that of another Chicago suburbanite, Naperville's Evan Lysacek, the 2010 Olympic men's champion?

Brown's coach, Kori Ade, chooses to see it that way.

Asked if the next Olympics comes too soon for Brown, she said, ``I don't think so'' and invoked Lysacek's name.

``That's our goal,'' Ade said of the 2014 Winter Games. ``The perfect plan would be for Jason to do what Evan did and go twice.''

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Brown the entertainer will be the No.1 US American next quad
if he can get a quad, he will be unstoppable for 2018

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Coming up tomorrow, Wed Jan 22:
A Google+ Hangout with Jason, organized by @USFigureSkating -- which has not yet provided a time or link.​

ETA, updates:

Join us tomorrow at 7:15 p.m. ET as we will be hanging out with @jasonbskates! RSVP and ask questions here: http://usfigu.re/BrownHangout
9:00 AM - 21 Jan 2014
https://twitter.com/USFigureSkating/status/425674267410186240

On the @jasonbskates hangout tomo, he will walk you through his @Riverdance free skate side-by-side with the video. http://usfigu.re/BrownHangout
9:01 AM - 21 Jan 2014
https://twitter.com/USFigureSkating/status/425674559530881024

ETA, the title of the Google+ Hangout is (LOL):
The Free Skate Seen Around The World, featuring: Jason Brown

Roughly 3 million people agree, Jason Brown's free skate was awesome. Join us live on Wednesday, Jan. 22 at 7:15 p.m. ET as Jason will take you through his free skate from the 2014 Prudential U.S. Figure Skating Championships. Stay tuned for a special guest to join the hangout as well! Ask questions on the Q&A app for Jason to answer on the Hangout.

BTW, the Hangout is scheduled to end at 7:45 pm ET.​

And today is media day with Jason -- so we'll likely be seeing more articles/videos/photos in the near future.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think if Josh Farris gets the quad back it will those two who will dominate US Men's for the next few years at least until Nathan Chen comes of age. What a team that would make in 2018.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I think if Josh Farris gets the quad back it will those two who will dominate US Men's for the next few years at least until Nathan Chen comes of age. What a team that would make in 2018.

Don't count Max Aaron out! :yes:

Srin Odessa

On the Ice
Don't count Max Aaron out! :yes:

Joshua was a landed quad away from beating Max during the FS at nationals. You have to wonder whether or not Max improves his presentation scores before Josh stabilizes his quad. There's a lot of talent in the junior ranks that will become a threat to the old guard for the 2018 Olympic spots.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Joshua was a landed quad away from beating Max during the FS at nationals. You have to wonder whether or not Max improves his presentation scores before Josh stabilizes his quad. There's a lot of talent in the junior ranks that will become a threat to the old guard for the 2018 Olympic spots.

2018 is going to be even more heartbreaking this year even if we get the maximum three spots. Besides Jason, Josh, Max and Nathan, Vincent Zhou will probably be in the mix as well (he was injured this season). Jordon Moeller, Jason's training mate, may also be a contender by then if he continues his progress. It's similar to the situation in Ice Dance this year!

Nathan Chen WILL be eligible for GP/Worlds in 2014-2015 He turns 15 two months before the July 1 deadline. Vincent Zhou was a bit of bad timing. His birthday is Oct. 2000, which means he won't be 15 in time for the 2015-2016 season, so he won't be eligible until the 2016-2017 season.

But who knows what will happen between now and 2018.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
At least Vincent will be eligible for the JGP in the fall, if he is fully healed from his surgery.